Rebuilding the OL

onejayhawk

6 hours ago, Kirill said:

Just cut Andrew Wiley. Right now. He is garbo

Andrew Wylie lives in the Ben Niemann and Mike Remmers tier of players where, everyone hates them because they started when they shouldn't, but that doesn't mean they aren't an above average backup.

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

Just cut Andrew Wiley. Right now. He is garbo

Link? I am not seeing this yet. Wylie has been a loyal player for a long time, so I would expect more than a quick see ya.

Remmers re-signs for a year, $3.3 Million. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_re_sign_ot_mike_remmers_to_one_year_deal/s1_14819_34397165

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Link? I am not seeing this yet. Wylie has been a loyal player for a long time, so I would expect more than a quick see ya.

Remmers re-signs for a year, $3.3 Million. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_re_sign_ot_mike_remmers_to_one_year_deal/s1_14819_34397165

J

He's saying we should, not that we have.

9 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

He's saying we should, not that we have.

It's saying we have. $3.3 MM is the base, but it could go up to $7 MM.

The two-time defending AFC champions are bringing Remmers back on a one-year deal worth $3.5M, per Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. The nomadic blocker could earn up to $7M on this contract.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

10 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

It's saying we have. $3.3 MM is the base, but it could go up to $7 MM.

The two-time defending AFC champions are bringing Remmers back on a one-year deal worth $3.5M, per Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. The nomadic blocker could earn up to $7M on this contract.

J

I thought you meant regarding a Wylie release. Simple misunderstanding.

Another article is out saying that the Chiefs need a LT. It covers the various signings--Thuney, Long, Remmers--and says, "we're missing something." They may be right, but I'm hedging.
https://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/29798/kansas-city-chiefs-still-have-work-to-do-on-offensive-line-especially-at-left-tackle

What other options are there? As I see it, they have/had three:

1. Sign a veteran FA. They tried hard for Williams, but he re-signed with SF. That leaves only Villanueva or Okung who are both 32, so this is not inspiring.
  2. Draft a stud. The question is who? Assuming Darrishaw is out of reach, what's left? To me it comes down to Cosmi, Eichenberg and Little. none of them are ideal. Cosmi will likely not last and he's not worth trading up to get, nor is he certain to fix the problem. Eichenberg will probably do the job, but in four years we will be looking to do this again. Little is a medical issue, though he is easily the most talented of the three.
  3. Train up someone they already have or retool a FA. They have Niang and Tega Wanogho.

It goes without saying that the offense needs to adjust to the players they have available. This is an understated part of the process. Mahomes will not be able to take his 15 yard drops without taming the outside rush with the running game and short passes. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Another article is out saying that the Chiefs need a LT. It covers the various signings--Thuney, Long, Remmers--and says, "we're missing something." They may be right, but I'm hedging.
https://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/29798/kansas-city-chiefs-still-have-work-to-do-on-offensive-line-especially-at-left-tackle

What other options are there? As I see it, they have/had three:

1. Sign a veteran FA. They tried hard for Williams, but he re-signed with SF. That leaves only Villanueva who is not inspiring.
  2. Draft a stud. The question is who? Assuming Darrishaw is out of reach, what's left? To me it comes down to Cosmi, Eichenberg and Little. none of them are ideal. 
  3. Train up someone they already have or retool a FA. They have Niang and Tega Wanogho.

It goes without saying that the offense needs to adjust to the players they have available. This is an understated part of the process. Mahomes will not be able to take his 15 yard drops without taming the outside rush with the running game and short passes. 

J

Not to mention being flexible in the gameplan to understand how the defense could be planning to attack based on perceived strengths vs. weaknesses (Super Bowl). You need to be able to outcoach the other team and not just go by "damn the torpedoes". 

Rebuilding the DEs is an issue. We may be looking to re-sign Kpassagnon, which will help a lot, but I would not be surprised to see us draft an edge rusher at #31. Several could be available.

At least it isn't like the first decade, when we needed  everything. 

J

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Rebuilding the DEs is an issue. We may be looking to re-sign Kpassagnon, which will help a lot, but I would not be surprised to see us draft an edge rusher at #31. Several could be available.

At least it isn't like the first decade, when we needed  everything. 

J

I think Carlos Basham from Wake Forest is an intriguing fit at DE for us. I am not sure I am thrilled at the idea of selecting him in round 1, but I definitely think he will be gone by our pick in round 2. Another option outside of round 1 may be Payton Turner from Houston.

Here is an article on possible line combinations. I don't consider it a very good article, since it assumes that LDT is unable to beat out Kyle Long. Other wierdness includes Thuney at LT. Still, we have Lucas Niang mentioned as a possible LT starter.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/3/24/22348253/ranking-5-possible-offensive-line-combinations-for-the-2021-chiefs

J

What are the options, assuming four players are unavailable--Sewell, Slater, Darrishaw and AVT? 

According to TDN, the OT in the 20-50 range are 

Mayfield - Played RT. Has elite tools, so could train up. 
Jenkins - Played all over. Some see him as OG/RT like Remmers.
Ranunz - Played LT. Raw. Did not play elite talent at any point in college. Some see him as a swing OT and others as an OG/RT or pure OG.
Eichenberg - Played LT. Plug and play. More of a technician than an athlete. 

Others

Cosmi - Played LT. Lean and mobile. Ideal for ZBS. Rated #53.
Little - Played LT. Best graded of all these players. Medical risk. Likely would not have been ready for 2020 and opted out. Has not played in 18 months. 

Currently on roster

Remmers - RT/OG. A journeyman, but a competent one. Decent RT, poor LT. 
Niang - Played RT. Drafted by Chiefs in 2020 and opted out. Now fully healthy and is working with a position trainer.
Tega Wanogho - Has played LT. Still very raw. Was drafted day #3 and released. Has premium physical tools, but little idea about how to play the game. Futers contract.

In the SB, Remmers was overmatched at LT. Part of that could be inexperience, but he is not the best athlete. If I had to pencil him as starting RT, no problem, but I would draft a player to train up. I would have zero problem penciling Niang in as starting RT for the foreseeable future. The question is whether he can be trained to play LT, such as we would have to do with Mayfield. 

If we have to draft a starting LT, the only option is Eichenberg. That said, I would prefer to draft Cosmi or Little and sign a near-retirement LT, such as Villanueva or Okung for the very near term. For that matter, training up Niang is possible. Whoever it is will have Thuney at his right shoulder, a luxury Fisher never had. 

J

13 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

What are the options, assuming four players are unavailable--Sewell, Slater, Darrishaw and AVT? 

According to TDN, the OT in the 20-50 range are 

Mayfield - Played RT. Has elite tools, so could train up. 
Jenkins - Played all over. Some see him as OG/RT like Remmers.
Ranunz - Played LT. Raw. Did not play elite talent at any point in college. Some see him as a swing OT and others as an OG/RT or pure OG.
Eichenberg - Played LT. Plug and play. More of a technician than an athlete. 

Others

Cosmi - Played LT. Lean and mobile. Ideal for ZBS. Rated #53.
Little - Played LT. Best graded of all these players. Medical risk. Likely would not have been ready for 2020 and opted out. Has not played in 18 months. 

Currently on roster

Remmers - RT/OG. A journeyman, but a competent one. Decent RT, poor LT. 
Niang - Played RT. Drafted by Chiefs in 2020 and opted out. Now fully healthy and is working with a position trainer.
Tega Wanogho - Has played LT. Still very raw. Was drafted day #3 and released. Has premium physical tools, but little idea about how to play the game. Futers contract.

In the SB, Remmers was overmatched at LT. Part of that could be inexperience, but he is not the best athlete. If I had to pencil him as starting RT, no problem, but I would draft a player to train up. I would have zero problem penciling Niang in as starting RT for the foreseeable future. The question is whether he can be trained to play LT, such as we would have to do with Mayfield. 

If we have to draft a starting LT, the only option is Eichenberg. That said, I would prefer to draft Cosmi or Little and sign a near-retirement LT, such as Villanueva or Okung for the very near term. For that matter, training up Niang is possible. Whoever it is will have Thuney at his right shoulder, a luxury Fisher never had. 

J

I didn't see Leatherwood on your list. I really think people are under appreciating him as a prospect. SEC starting experience, played multiple positions at a high level, very good pass blocker and run blocker, has size and length, and oh....just blew up his pro day in the agility skills...he definitely checks the athleticism box.