Cap space needed for the draft

bucsfan333

28 minutes ago, indifference said:

Something tells me Licht is going to trade down. Going be a boring draft day first day folks. His mid round picks are going to be cheaper and serve some role in capacity as we dont have a need for an immediate starter right now

Agreed 100%, as you always see teams wanting to move back onto the end of the 1st round to get their guy and have that 5th year option to their contract.

I'm good with picking up an extra pick(s), as there is a ton of 2nd-4th round value in this draft IMO...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed 100%, as you always see teams wanting to move back onto the end of the 1st round to get their guy and have that 5th year option to their contract.

I'm good with picking up an extra pick(s), as there is a ton of 2nd-4th round value in this draft IMO...

Agreed. Bucs under this coaching regime have done a good job finding guys that fit their system. Mike Edwards was a gem selection in the late third, AWJ in mid second last year, SMB and Dean the years before. None are which ever deemed very good by most but they fit our system and good pieces. Gotta continue to build depth and get younger on the defensive front. Not really looking for the star player per say but a player that can make things happen given their ‘role’. Think we have enough star pieces on both sides of the ball time to draft and add quality role guys.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, indifference said:

Agreed. Bucs under this coaching regime have done a good job finding guys that fit their system. Mike Edwards was a gem selection in the late third, AWJ in mid second last year, SMB and Dean the years before. None are which ever deemed very good by most but they fit our system and good pieces. Gotta continue to build depth and get younger on the defensive front. Not really looking for the star player per say but a player that can make things happen given their ‘role’. Think we have enough star pieces on both sides of the ball time to draft and add quality role guys.

While I agree with you on the need for the depth (among the Dline/Oline in particular)and that we have a good amount of star power that fit our scheme well, I will add though that this draft is littered with potential stars who are going to fall to the 2nd round because of the unconventional circumstances with the season last year and the lack of exposure they'd get in a normal offseason scouting process, which as we know this offseason has been anything but.

The sweet spot of this draft to me isn't the 1st round, it's the 2nd-3rd round because of how many of these guys are going to get pushed down the board. The teams that are willing to take some risks on guys (ala guys who sat out in 2020, or had some injury concerns/issues heading into last year) are going to be rewarded in a bigger way than normal if they hit on their guy. 

We're in a great spot that we could afford to be one of those teams given what we already have on the roster. 

• Like 2