Worst Current Contracts in NFL

LinebackerGod

On 3/13/2021 at 6:58 PM, -Hope- said:

kevin byard feeling pretty brutal after the unmitigated disaster that was last season. he was worth every penny up until then though, so i'm hoping he gets things turned around, but good gracious he was awful this past season.

What happened he was so good?

I mean, RT Marcus Gilbert and CB Robert Alford both have made lots of cash from us. Both were signed as Pro-Bowl players who were going to lock down their positions, positions that were some of the biggest holes ok the roster prior to their arrival. Neither have played a down in 2+ seasons.

We ended up forcing young CBs into the line-up and have made multiple signings in attempts to fill Alford's position as a viable CB across from Patrick Peterson. Peterson left before we ever really had a good #2 outside corner.

Meanwhile, we just paid Kelvin Beachum and drafted an OT in the third-round to fill Gilbert's spot.

Maybe they'll finally see the field this year? And maybe they'll play well? Gilbert could be valuable depth, or if he really does well in camp, he could push Beachum inside to RG. That would be awesome, but odds are that he just isn't very good anymore. Alford was the Cards' best corner in camp two years in a row and had Vance Joseph absolutely glowing, and then suffered a season-ending injury prior to Week 1 in both seasons. It's fair to assume that he's lost a step at this point, but he still might be a solid contributor. Honestly, he just needs to outplay Dre Kirkpatrick and our secondary would be better than it was last year.

Anyways, both of those contracts are bad. Devon Kennard is a good football player, but he's like our fourth edge, has trouble getting onto the field, and is getting paid 8 million a season. Jordan Phillips is making 12 million this year and was meh last year on top of missing a lot of time with injuries. He might not even be a starter this year.

On 3/13/2021 at 11:59 AM, JMG5 said:

Andrus Peat

I don’t understand the Peat hate by Saints fans.

I think if some of you guys saw the guards other teams have been trotting out the last few years, and they were suiting up for the Saints, you’d be clamoring for Peat again.

Trey Flowers. In 2019 he was the 6th highest paid defensive player in football, was 12th last season and is slated to be the 13th highest paid this year. Detroit still owes him $36.7 million guaranteed over the next two seasons and can't realistically cut him until 2022 when it'll be a "more affordable" hit of $11.2 million in dead money. An absolutely bad signing by former Patriots guys trying to bring the Patriot Way to Detroit by paying a solid all around player elite pass rusher money.

5 hours ago, Dome said:

I don’t understand the Peat hate by Saints fans.

I think if some of you guys saw the guards other teams have been trotting out the last few years, and they were suiting up for the Saints, you’d be clamoring for Peat again.

He is paid like a Top 5 guard. He is not anywhere near a Top 5 guard.

5 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

He is paid like a Top 5 guard. He is not anywhere near a Top 5 guard.

He's not a top 5 guard.

But when you consider that he's a strong insurance policy for Terron Armstead, one of the most injury prone tackles in the league, and can kick out to LT and perform at a level some teams don't even get from their starter, I don't think he deserves to be in the conversation for one of the worst contracts in the league. He's not even the worst contract on our team.

11 minutes ago, Dome said:

He's not a top 5 guard.

But when you consider that he's a strong insurance policy for Terron Armstead, one of the most injury prone tackles in the league, and can kick out to LT and perform at a level some teams don't even get from their starter, I don't think he deserves to be in the conversation for one of the worst contracts in the league. He's not even the worst contract on our team.

He started two games at tackle in 2016. Hasn't been asked to do it much at all since and probably won't be doing it with Hurst on the roster. Even with his ability to play LT in a pinch, he still isn't worth his current contract. His cap hits for the next few years after his restructure this year are $15.4m, $16.4m, and $16.4m. For an interior lineman that is average at best this just isn't worth it.

Just now, JMG5 said:

He started two games at tackle in 2016. Hasn't been asked to do it much at all since and probably won't be doing it with Hurst on the roster. Even with his ability to play LT in a pinch, he still isn't worth his current contract. His cap hits for the next few years after his restructure this year are $15.4m, $16.4m, and $16.4m. For an interior lineman that is average at best this just isn't worth it.

Taysom Hill is a worse contract on the Saints.

Just now, Dome said:

Taysom Hill is a worse contract on the Saints.

I would put them 1A and 1B. We can be done with Taysom after this year, but Peat is locked in for at least 3 more years (counting this season).