2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

6 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Dalvin Tomlinson played around 58% of defensive snaps on the Gmen last year.

Well yeah.  If you can choose between Tomlinson and Leonard Williams you are gonna keep Williams in on passing downs.  We don't have that luxury.

19 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Dalvin Tomlinson played around 60% of defensive snaps on the Gmen last year.

Why couldn't we give big money to a player/position seeing +80% of snaps

Linval Joseph played in 51% of the Giants defensive snaps in 2013. 

Teams often times sign young players for expanded roles. 

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Giants fans are pretty pissed about losing this guy. 

It will be interesting to see what @y*so*bluhas to say about this move.  He can probably give everyone a pretty good rundown on Tomlinson.  Great move by the Vikings to get him.  Giants fans aren't the only ones upset.  We were wanting to get him in Jacksonville too, but Rick beat us to the punch. 

Now just draft a guy like Kwity Paye, Gregory Rousseau, or Jaelan Phillips and you could have a beastly defensive line next year!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Just give me a guard instead, please

From all the reports, and the two signings, today, I thinks it’s pretty evident that the Vikings are looking at free agency to shore up the defense. And they’ll likely go to the draft looking for offense. Which makes sense given the strengths and weaknesses of this year’s draft class. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

From all the reports, and the two signings, today, I thinks it’s pretty evident that the Vikings are looking at free agency to shore up the defense. And they’ll likely go to the draft looking for offense. Which makes sense given the strengths and weaknesses of this year’s draft class. 

Doesn't line up with their coaching strengths though.  Their OC hasn't led before, and they are going to hand him a very young OL... that isn't good.... and their HC is a defensive guru. I mean, the D needs help, don't get me wrong, but that OL.....and TE....

I didn't know much about Tomlinson, but like the signing; he'll be miles ahead of any rookie DT and the only one that makes sense is the 3T, Barmore, who I do like.  I truly believe this is a smart decision by the FO and coaches.  Tomlinson will be a great rotational piece but also be a force on short yardage stops.

Solid signing. Reminds me a lot of the Linval signing when we acquired him. Nobody was too thrilled either but he had all the tools we needed. Ironically from NY as well. This really gives us the ability to open the draft up a bit and instantly takes some pressure off our LB's and CB's. 

Also the news of potentially bringing back Harris is encouraging. I like him, and he has a good chemistry with Harrison already. The less we go backwards in comradery this offseason the better. 

Draft looking like OL, DE, CB, TE, LB,WR in order of importance at this point.

Edited by Frank Costello

5 hours ago, Frank Costello said:

Huh? I said DL, not DE. I would assume that me mentioning not one but two DT's names would have made that point clear.

But just for fun, since we're talking about DE's. The Vikings haven't drafted a DE in the first round ( or any early rounds for that matter ) who has come in day one, and made an impact. The closest to that was Barr. We struggle at drafting line players early. 

FWIW you were clearly separating the two, maybe thats not what you meant to do but its exactly what you did.  You went from talking about DT's which you had no problem specifying as DT's to they have problems drafting DL, implying both positions.  Swing that anyway you want but you clearly went from saying they had problems on both sides of the line and then you start talking about the DT's then go back to specifying DL. 

Its hard for 3rd/4th or later round picks to come in and make an impact day 1 especially when you already have not only 2 established ends but 2 great ones.  plus a rotational one in Robison.  If you expect all those 5th, 6th or 7th round DL to come in and make an impact with very limited snaps than you're simply setting yourself up for failure

Also in this response you're talking about DE's then bring Barr into this, why? He's a LB not a DL.  IDK maybe Im being picky or w/e but you're all over the place

Edited by Boda