2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

8 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Could we be getting Orlando Brown?

Eric Fisher is really the only name that makes sense in the discussion.  Yes, it would be a gamble (only about 70% of players even return after the injury)...Phil Loadholt never came back after his, but Brandon Brooks from Philly did come back and play pretty well, until unfortunately, he tore the other one.  If it's a reasonable deal for 1 year, it's worth a shot, especially since they have the fallback of Hill.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Eric Fisher is really the only name that makes sense in the discussion.  Yes, it would be a gamble (only about 70% of players even return after the injury)...Phil Loadholt never came back after his, but Brandon Brooks from Philly did come back and play pretty well, until unfortunately, he tore the other one.  If it's a reasonable deal for 1 year, it's worth a shot, especially since they have the fallback of Hill.

I don't see it as making sense the guys they've signed have been players who stayed healthy for their career a player coming off a significant achilles tear and won't be ready to start the season doesn't fit that and they'd need a backup for their backup as no proof exists of them feeling fine about Udoh serving that role.

Orlando Brown is somewhat iffy just on the notion of not enough cap room he seems to expect a new deal with a trade when we already are looking at Brian O'Neil, Harrison Smith, and whatever we may need to do with Danielle Hunter we simply don't have enough money for all those 2022 extensions possibly not even if he is replacing O'Neil as the big money O-lineman we sign.

6 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

Orlando Brown is somewhat iffy just on the notion of not enough cap room he seems to expect a new deal with a trade when we already are looking at Brian O'Neil, Harrison Smith, and whatever we may need to do with Danielle Hunter we simply don't have enough money for all those 2022 extensions

I don’t know if he would be impossible to sign all of those players. The cap, by all accounts, should recover in 2022 which would put it over $200M. In 2023 the cap is likely going to see a significant increase as the new TV contracts take effect, and as early as 2022, but likely no later than 2023, Kirk Cousins’ contract will come off the books. 

Maybe trading for and signing a player like Brown costs you the ability to extend a veteran like Harrison Smith. But, as difficult as it would be to watch Smith play for another team, it’s an easy sacrifice to make. 

I liked Woods pre-draft. I think he along with Lamp was really a couple guys most internet scouts really liked on this website and Twitter. 

Woods really graded out well on PFF these past couple years, last year was his worst (61.9) while every other year was about 70 or above. Personally I would like him more than Parks, but he’ll prolly be a little bit of a shinier penny too. 

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Forrest Lamp should be cheaper than this if we would go after him. 

I've seen a lot of interest (want) for Lamp around here, but he was marginally better than anything we had last year and that's not saying much. He's a better pass protector than Dozier, but a worse run blocker.

PFF Grade 2020:

Lamp: 49

Dozier: 45

I think the team should be looking more at Trai Turner who was also bad last year but has at least had some decent seasons.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/19/report-free-agent-g-forrest-lamp-looking-at-vikings-dozier-chargers/

14 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

I don't see it as making sense the guys they've signed have been players who stayed healthy for their career a player coming off a significant achilles tear and won't be ready to start the season doesn't fit that and they'd need a backup for their backup as no proof exists of them feeling fine about Udoh serving that role.

Orlando Brown is somewhat iffy just on the notion of not enough cap room he seems to expect a new deal with a trade when we already are looking at Brian O'Neil, Harrison Smith, and whatever we may need to do with Danielle Hunter we simply don't have enough money for all those 2022 extensions possibly not even if he is replacing O'Neil as the big money O-lineman we sign.

The Chiefs' medical guy said he could be ready by mid-August.  While that's certainly very optimistic, I wouldn't rule it out.  And if his rehab were managed by Sugs, I'd have no doubt that he'd be ready.

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Abdullah is a great veteran in the locker room, he’s a good special teams player, and he’s an adequate RB3. No issues with bringing him back. 

Yup.  He carved out a niche as a pass catching/fly sweep option.