2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

Suh got a 1 year $9 mil deal with Tampa Bay.  Seems like that guy has gotten two or three 1 year deals in a row.  Still Tomlinson is the highest paid per year DT in this free agent class.  Hoping that means he is the best of them all, and I think he could be, should have a breakout season next year if those around him on Minnesota play up to their potential.  

Also Jaguars just signed CJ Beathard to a 2 year $5 mil contract.  Curious because they already have Minshew, odd they would be in the market for a 3rd QB after Trevor Lawrence and Minshew but I guess they are.  And they have Jake Luton also.  Vikings do not even have one good backup QB and Jaguars have two possibly three good backups.  

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Abdullah is a great veteran in the locker room, he’s a good special teams player, and he’s an adequate RB3. No issues with bringing him back. 

When he is the teams spokesman after the unrest in Minneapolis earlier this year, yeah he is one hell of a public speaker and clearly brings that character and high intelligence into the locker room also.  I wish they would use him more in the passing game and as a change of pace back, did some nice things in the year when he got some chances, especially as a receiver.  Wish he could provide some more in the return game, that would help a ton but has yet to really do that.  

7 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

If it's Vikes traded a 5th for Minshew, I'd be stoked!    Anyone else?

everyone but Kirk.

Minshew would be a decent backup, he's started a fair few games and I'm sure still has a bit of room to develop

Vikings traded for Mason Cole on Arizona, former Michigan prospect.  Trading for a 6th round pick which is not bad for a dude that started 14 games last year.  

Decent move, get an interior OL that had experience at OT and C at Michigan.  Versatile OL, not too familiar with how he was on Arizona.  Starting center for them last year but I feel Vikings clearly will move him to OG and unless they get some other guys or draft some great guards he will start at OG.

LT Cleveland
LG Cole
C Bradbury
RG
RT O'Neill

Not too bad but not great, would still rather have Lamp but maybe they are still trying to get other guys as well.  Mason Cole was nothing great at center for Arizona but again I think that was out of position for him.  Coming out of Michigan I was surprise he did not stick to OT or go to OG, not center.  

9 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

If they think he is the answer to our guard spot... man I don't know. Wasn't he pretty bad last year? They did Cousins super dirty this off season.

He was terrible but I know he was the Center. Seems like Guard might be better for him but I don’t have high hopes that he will be anything more than a Brett Jones caliber player. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

He was terrible but I know he was the Center. Seems like Guard might be better for him but I don’t have high hopes that he will be anything more than a Brett Jones caliber player. 

Mason Cole had 32 times in 46 games for 3 years, 2019 he only started 2 games when Shipley was healthy again, in 2020 started all 14.  

Brett Jones in 61 creer games for five years, only started 19 times and most of that was one season 2017 where he started 13 times for the Giants.

So there is that, if it is just a replacement for Brett Jones it is a massive upgrade I feel and a far more talented player no doubt about it.  And like others have said a 6th round pick is nothing.  And again I feel he was playing out of position at center no question and has potential to play OT or OG or at worst C.  So good move and sure he will compete with Samia and Zach Bailey for that other starting OG spot assuming one of the starting OG spots will go to the rookie they draft.

Still is curious with Rashod Hill and Udoh, curious what the Vikings plans are for those guys if one will move inside or if they just want both as backups at OT.  

On 3/25/2021 at 6:05 AM, viking said:

everyone but Kirk.

Minshew would be a decent backup, he's started a fair few games and I'm sure still has a bit of room to develop

Minshew is a young Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He is what he is always going to be...a guy who can get you through a few games or to come off the bench to stabilize a team, but not one you're going to want to count on for a full season.