2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

25 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I'm sorry, but this one move has almost completely negated everything we have done this offseason. Dozier is an absolute mess and we all know deep down inside Dennison will trot Dozier out there week 1 because Dozier is Dennison's "guy." Who cares if you brought him over from the Jets, Ricky. He is trash! Just like like year, when Dozier "won" that sham guard competition against Aviante Collins when the fix was in from the beginning. We will pass on Darrisaw or AVT and draft Jaycee Horn because Zimmer loves his corners. They could have done literally anything to upgrade Dozier, and they didn't. They totally did not.

Who cares if someone is "too expensive." You need to finally spend money to upgrade the position that has been absolutely God awful for 5-6 years now, which has held us back, and will continue to hold us back. I honestly do not care if we have to overpay for even an average guy. Average would be a God send right now. Also, who cares if some of those other guards are old? They are light years ahead of Dozier. Spielman knows jobs may be on the line. The only way this would work out is if we traded up and drafted Sewell, but Rick doesn't trade up ever. Especially not in the first round.

Once more it was his first full season as a starter in his entire career, so I would expect some improvement with him even if it is as a backup.   And the other options are either too old, too expensive or not a scheme fit.  Forrest Lamp no question I would rather have but maybe he is too expensive, with all the money they have spend already in free agency, I assume they do not have much if anything left.  

Mason Cole is an outside guy, a hell of a lot of starters compared to Dozier's one season last year, few are talking about him but that is new blood brought in to upgrade the position and he is a center who will move to guard in this offense and be a backup center but compete to start at guard.  And no one seems to care about that move which was not great but not awful.  

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Once more it was his first full season as a starter in his entire career, so I would expect some improvement with him even if it is as a backup.   And the other options are either too old, too expensive or not a scheme fit.  Forrest Lamp no question I would rather have but maybe he is too expensive, with all the money they have spend already in free agency, I assume they do not have much if anything left.  

Mason Cole is an outside guy, a hell of a lot of starters compared to Dozier's one season last year, few are talking about him but that is new blood brought in to upgrade the position and he is a center who will move to guard in this offense and be a backup center but compete to start at guard.  And no one seems to care about that move which was not great but not awful.  

He showed enough in his first season to never be given a chance to start again. Scheme around the players, not the other way around. Rick should be fired for complete and utter negligence of upgrading the bane of the team's existence if he does anything less than trading up for Sewell. If anyone is even remotely okay with this move, I honestly don't know what to them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

He showed enough in his first season to never be given a chance to start again. Scheme around the players, not the other way around. Rick should be fired for complete and utter negligence of upgrading the bane of the team's existence if he does anything less than trading up for Sewell. If anyone is even remotely okay with this move, I honestly don't know what to them.

Little disgruntled are ye.  

49 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Remind me how we got Teddy Bridgewater?

Sorry, I shouldn't give you a hard time. I agree completely with your post.

We’ve traded back into the 1st round, but Spielman has never traded up from a 1st round pick to a higher 1st round pick. 

In fact, it was a Twitter discussion last week where people were trying to figure out if the Vikings have ever traded up from their original selection. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

There were 47 OL in PFF's top 255 free agents. Dozier graded worse than all of them, and Cole only better than 2 (Forrest Lamp and Trai Turner) in 2020.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

True but who should they have brought in?

Nick Easton got paid in 2019 a four year contract worth $23 mil, over $5 mil a year which ended because they cut him.  Think Vikings could have paid him even close to that if he is even healthy?  

They signed Dozier for one year $1 mil.  Who in the NFL as a veteran guard would play for that little?  I doubt anyone.  Sure he was not great but neither is that contract in length or amount.

How much cap space the Vikings have left?  I doubt much so they had to sign a guard and did.  Is he great no but the substance on the OL is not coming in free agency it will be coming hopefully with their 1st round pick.

Should they have not signed Tomlinson to that decent contract and tried to get a lower level guard instead?  I do not think so.  Zimmer is a D guy so clearly goes with D often and based on how the D played last year good.  Offense sucked in pass pro but they scored a lot of points and ran the ball quite well.

I will give the dude in his first full season started a break and see how he does and at worst is a backup that is better than Samia for pretty damn cheap.  

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

There were 47 OL in PFF's top 255 free agents. Dozier graded worse than all of them, and Cole only better than 2 (Forrest Lamp and Trai Turner) in 2020.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

Well I'd hope nobody talking up getting Forrest Lamp or Trai Turner is also upset about not going after them over the guys we did since they wouldn't have helped us either.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

None of that gives me confidence.  Kirk won't make it thru the year if they don't pick an OL in round 1. Because they sure can't pick one later than round 2, they've proven that.  

But what do I know, I'm no GM/coach that misses the playoffs more than I make them.....

5 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

Well I'd hope nobody talking up getting Forrest Lamp or Trai Turner is also upset about not going after them over the guys we did since they wouldn't have helped us either.

I’d rather not pursue those types of free agents personally. Just seems the performance doesn’t warrant throwing out multi million dollar contracts simply for making a change on paper. I think the market has decided this for them where vet minimum may be the only option, and in that case, I’d take a flier and hope there’s upside in Lamps case. Turner has likely peaked at this stage. But is Cole really going to be any worse than any of Dozier, Lamp or Turner. The difference is probably minimal at best. It goes back to drafting and developing OL and not sinking money into the position on proven poor starters. I’m personally glad the bulk of the FA money went towards the defense, hopefully allowing for a heavy OL emphasis on draft day.

Starting young players on the OL will surely result in some growing pains, but it’s the correct approach towards building the OL. And I’m not worried about Cousins health or Cooks effectiveness. Cousins is very durable and I truly doubt we will see a drastically worse OL than last year. And the offense was the lone bright spot, for 2/3 of the year. Again, the playoffs were missed because Cousins was so dreadful the first 1/3 of the season.

After having a night to think on it, I realize that the signing of Dozier doesn't hurt so bad. The Vikings do need backups and now they have competition for a backup job. If the team has to cut the worse of Dozier and Samia before the season it won't cost them too much.

The team might now have viable backups along the line. Now they just need to figure out where to get three starters to play along O'Neill and Bradbury. I could see Cleveland perhaps growing into a viable starter, but he'll have to greatly improve his pass protection, which was awful.

With Austin Blythe off the market it will be harder to find three guys that deserve starting jobs to play in front of the Vikings group of backups, but there is still the draft and the possibility of more meaningful (than Cole) trades.

• Like 1

I would rather have seen Kyle Hinton potentially struggle than watch Dakota Dozier again.  And when somebody tells you that it was Dozier's first year starting...the fact that it happened at age 29 should tell you everything you need to know.  

• Like 1