2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

The offseason as a whole has been very good. The defense looks much improved. But the re-signing of Dozier really seems to undercut what they’ve done, because until they sign another player, or get through the draft, this move just makes it look like they are continuing to view the offensive line as a lower significance than any other aspect of the game. And for nearly a decade it’s been the biggest hinderance for the team. 

If the team comes out and signs another lineman or two, and then addresses the offensive line heavily, and early, in the draft then this move will fall to the wayside and we’ll all likely have completely different thoughts towards it. But as it stands currently, this move is just disheartening. Which is very odd when you know that it’s simply a vet minimum deal. 

• Like 2

I don't really have a problem with the Dozier signing. At worst, it's a "devil you know" situation where he knows the system and knows the other players. It's a vet-minimum deal, so if we do get a new starter via FA or the Draft, we have an incredibly cheap backup. While he isn't good, we also don't have a ton of cap space, so I don't see a huge upgrade that isn't going to blow what we have left. I'm left with the impression that this move alters nothing, and that the team is going to be looking to the draft and camp cuts to improve the line. I don't think they cut Reiff if they didn't plan on addressing the OL early and often in the draft. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen official terms for either the Dozier (vet min?) or Blythe contracts. For those saying cap space is an issue, is it really?

We have just under $8.5M and we've essentially covered our rookie contracts by designating Rudy a post 6/1 cut. Further we could extend Harrison and open up even more space, a move that IMO should've been done by now. I'm just not buying the cap space excuse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

We have just under $8.5M and we've essentially covered our rookie contracts by designating Rudy a post 6/1 cut. Further we could extend Harrison and open up even more space, a move that IMO should've been done by now. I'm just not buying the cap space excuse.

$8.5M is not a lot of money when you’re basically left with signing guys to 1 year deals. Even if those deals are for league minimum. And the Vikings still have a few places where they need to add people. 

It sounds easy to extend Smith, but it maybe not be as easy as you think. 

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I haven't seen official terms for either the Dozier (vet min?) or Blythe contracts. For those saying cap space is an issue, is it really?

Danielle Hunter though likely wants a higher cap figure then his current 17 million dollar one.

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It depends upon what he's looking for.  The average salary for a safety is a few million above what he's making now, so I don't think it's all that unmanageable, especially now that Barr is a FA after this year.

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It depends upon what he's looking for.  The average salary for a safety is a few million above what he's making now, so I don't think it's all that unmanageable, especially now that Barr is a FA after this year.

But does Smith want to come back if Zimmer leaves? 

35 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

$8.5M is not a lot of money when you’re basically left with signing guys to 1 year deals. Even if those deals are for league minimum. And the Vikings still have a few places where they need to add people. 

Fair, although it isn't like the Vikings are currently going after anyone like Clowney right now. We're in the bargain bin portion of FA. 

4 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

An extension would most certainly lower his 2021 cap number though.

I think he wants to be in line with elite end numbers as that seems the main complaint that his original deal was too low so no I think his numbers will as much as 4 to 5 million higher not lower then it currently stands.