2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

13 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Ozzy, I agree with all you said...yet, one of the major changes in the NFL over the past couple of decades has been the erosion of patience with players coaching staffs need to develop.  Which is a shame, particularly for offensive linemen coming out of college.  Not many college programs develop the skills that make offensive linemen NFL ready.  The NFL needs minor league teams like they had in '60's and early '70's.  My hometown had the minor league team for the Saints.

Very true, sucks for the NFL that that one football league did not turn out, The Alliance of American football directed by Bill Polian.  That would have been amazing for the NFL to develop players, no clue why they cannot make that work especially with so many rich owners around.  And they will get some views and or fans, both that league and the XFL got fans and views, maybe it is too complicated and maybe the NFL is scared about not being the only show in town.  Either way the NBA is far superior to the NFL in player development with the G League which has been around for quite awhile, NFL clearly has nothing like it at all, not to mention all the hundreds of pro basketball leagues around the world.  NFL has nothing like that at all clearly.

Even NFL Europe is better than nothing for development.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Even NFL Europe is better than nothing for development.  

That was unfortunate, especially considering it did wonders for guys like Brad Johnson, Kurt Warner and Jake Delhomme.  I wish they would have something similar...maybe then we could have actual evidence of whether guys like Jake Browning or Nate Stanley can actually play...and especially would do great for offensive linemen.

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Ozzy, I agree with all you said...yet, one of the major changes in the NFL over the past couple of decades has been the erosion of patience with players coaching staffs need to develop.  Which is a shame, particularly for offensive linemen coming out of college.  Not many college programs develop the skills that make offensive linemen NFL ready.  The NFL needs minor league teams like they had in '60's and early '70's.  My hometown had the minor league team for the Saints.

I don't think I am too far out on a limb in saying that free agency has something to do with teams not having patience with players. It isn't as worth it for a team to develop a player when said player is only going to be around to reward the team that developed him for a small portion of time.

Whatever the reason, I completely agree that teams no not having patience in players is a shame. It is fun seeing guys like Adam Thielen develop. There was a lot more of that in yon days of yore. I am not sure what the league can do to give teams more motivation. I wouldn't suggest getting rid of free agency. 

57 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't think I am too far out on a limb in saying that free agency has something to do with teams not having patience with players. It isn't as worth it for a team to develop a player when said player is only going to be around to reward the team that developed him for a small portion of time.

Whatever the reason, I completely agree that teams no not having patience in players is a shame. It is fun seeing guys like Adam Thielen develop. There was a lot more of that in yon days of yore. I am not sure what the league can do to give teams more motivation. I wouldn't suggest getting rid of free agency. 

I don't either.  There are so many great players in the past who wouldn't be able to even get a tryout (perhaps I exaggerate) today.  Someone like Deacon Jones or John Unitas couldn't get a roster spot.  More recently, who would've waited around today for Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon (the Vikings should have) or a Trent Green to develop as quarterbacks?  Heck, maybe even Tom Brady...on any other team, might have never had the chance to become...Tom Brady.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I don't either.  There are so many great players in the past who wouldn't be able to even get a tryout (perhaps I exaggerate) today.  Someone like Deacon Jones or John Unitas couldn't get a roster spot.  More recently, who would've waited around today for Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon (the Vikings should have) or a Trent Green to develop as quarterbacks?  Heck, maybe even Tom Brady...on any other team, might have never had the chance to become...Tom Brady.

UDFA, dude did not play or do much as a rookie, better let him go.  Oh he just become one of the greatest players of all time.  

5Xt3.gif