2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

• 2 weeks later...

Arden Key, Maurice Hurst and Kyle Sloter were all released by the Raiders.  I would not mind any of those guys, especially Key and Hurst if they are cheap.  I think they still have potential with the right coaching, especially Key.  Sloter is not very likely but still would rather have him sitting on the bench developing than Mannion, his size and the QB run game with him is interesting.  

Granted getting Kellen Mond in the 3rd round is better but doubt that happens.  Maybe Davis Mills but even that probably will not happen.  Most likely get Brady White as a UDFA which would not be awful either.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The developing of Kyle Sloter has come and gone, and the result is that’s he just very good. 

I think this board clings to some of these fringe roster guys much longer than they should.  Looking at you Moritz Bohringer... ..

29 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The developing of Kyle Sloter has come and gone, and the result is that’s he just very good. 

Maybe. I do not read internet articles but I am not the only one that thinks this.  

https://thevikingage.com/2021/04/16/minnesota-vikings-kyle-sloter-available/

Not totally sure on this but I bet if one includes preseason, Kyle Sloter has more statistics in the NFL than Sean Mannion, Jake Browning and Nat Stanley combined.  So at least he showed something at some point, something those other three really have never done.  Hopefully Stanley will this up coming preseason but will have to see it to believe it.  

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Sloter can’t make it off of team’s practice squads. Hell, he didn’t even make it to the Raiders’ offseason, on a 90-man roster, before they cut bait. The guy just isn’t any good. 

Maybe, but once more what he did in the preseason is more than all those other three combined.  111/150 74%, 1222 yards, 11 TDs, 1 INT.  

Sure it is just the preseason but where else is one suppose to develop in the NFL?  Sean Mannion started two NFL games, who gives a crap, he is that much greater than Sloter?  No freaking way, maybe he prepares better and has a better football mind but physically Mannion is crap compared to Sloter.  Did Sean Mannion ever rip it up in the preseason like Sloter did?  I do not believe so, but if he is so much better why didn't he?

Sure maybe the train has sailed on him but Vikings need to get a developmental or backup QB last time I checked and Mannion should not be it.  Then again no other team in the NFL wants him so maybe they can get him cheap who knows.    

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe, but once more what he did in the preseason is more than all those other three combined.  111/150 74%, 1222 yards, 11 TDs, 1 INT.  

Sure it is just the preseason but where else is one suppose to develop in the NFL?  Sean Mannion started two NFL games, who gives a crap, he is that much greater than Sloter?  No freaking way, maybe he prepares better and has a better football mind but physically Mannion is crap compared to Sloter.  Did Sean Mannion ever rip it up in the preseason like Sloter did?  I do not believe so, but if he is so much better why didn't he?

Sure maybe the train has sailed on him but Vikings need to get a developmental or backup QB last time I checked and Mannion should not be it.  Then again no other team in the NFL wants him so maybe they can get him cheap who knows.    

I agree on getting a developmental QB but Sloter isn’t it. He’s time is mostly done as a developmental option. Guys like Mannion stick around due to their ability to help out the starter during the season. 

• Like 2

Sloter is out of development hours.

His preseason stats mean very little, to nothing, given that the came against other practice squad/non-nfl players, and the Vikings coaching staff is on record saying what they see at practice wasn’t very positive. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

Sloter is out of development hours.

His preseason stats mean very little, to nothing, given that the came against other practice squad/non-nfl players, and the Vikings coaching staff is on record saying what they see at practice wasn’t very positive. 

True his time could be up, but again all three of those other freaking QBs combined were not as successful in the apparently awful worthless preseason than Kyle Sloter was.  So in that regard they signed the less talented QB when they cut him and got Mannion.  Sure maybe he is not the best practice player but he showed he is a better game performer than Sean Mannion, Browning and Stanley who literally never did the things Kyle Sloter did in those preseason games.

But yeah his time is up sure, still they made the wrong choice because what has Mannion brought other than maybe a guy who prepares better?  Then based on that logic Jake Browning should be the future Vikings QB because he prepares well and studies the game?  Sure that is great and all but would be nice to have actually a talented backup/developmental QB for the Vikings other than a freaking Brooks Bollinger 3.0 and as of right now Mannion, Browning and probably Stanley are all just a Bollinger types.  Does things the right way but does not have that much actual talent.  Maybe Stanley is awesome though, clearly could not see him in preseason this past year.  

Either way the Vikings have arguably the worst backup QB situation in the NFL currently and if not the worst they are easily top 3 worst.  I said that what one or possibly two years ago and it still holds true right now.  

Maybe the Jet have worse with Mike White and James Morgan but that is about it and most likely that will change in the draft and with a free agent signing.  

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Ozzy... dude... you're saying the same stuff over and over....

Sloter had better stats in preseason so therefor he's a better QB...

So stats mean nothing and preseason means nothing in terms of development of players that have no minor league system to play in?

The dude threw the ball well, accurately, ran the football, picked up first downs, threw the ball on the move and lead the team to scoring drives and did not turn the ball over.  

I say it over and over because many on here defend Sean Mannion as he if has actually done something in the league or in the preseason, which he has pretty much not.  Sure he got a start as the only QB on the roster in a playoff season when the team benched the starter the last game of the year.  Wow, and also got a start when the starter got hurt, which thank goodness does not happen much at all so thank you Kirk Cousins for staying on the field!

I am saying would be nice for the team to invest a little in a QB with some talent outside of getting a UDFA and a 7th round pick as your future QBs.  Sean Mannion sucks and the proof of that is if the Vikings do not resign him, most likely no one else will either.  

Is Sloter great, no but pretty sad state of the backup QB on the team when all one has to look back on in terms of a QB recently outside of the starter with some ability in a game setting is Kyle Sloter.  A few years back I liked Taylor Heinicke a lot, a few around here ripped on the guy, well he is looking pretty good now compared to ******* Sean Mannion.  

Either way the backup QB situation is the worst or bottom 3 in the league and yeah I say it again.  If that is not an issue then what is?  The Bills have one of the most talented QBs in the NFL in Josh Allen, and they have now Mitchell Trubisky, Jake Fromm and Davis Webb.  Any three of those guys are better than what the Vikings have right now, and that is pretty sad.  

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So stats mean nothing and preseason means nothing in terms of development of players that have no minor league system to play in?

The dude threw the ball well, accurately, ran the football, picked up first downs, threw the ball on the move and lead the team to scoring drives and did not turn the ball over.  

I say it over and over because many on here defend Sean Mannion as he if has actually done something in the league or in the preseason, which he has pretty much not.  Sure he got a start as the only QB on the roster in a playoff season when the team benched the starter the last game of the year.  Wow, and also got a start when the starter got hurt, which thank goodness does not happen much at all so thank you Kirk Cousins for staying on the field!

I am saying would be nice for the team to invest a little in a QB with some talent outside of getting a UDFA and a 7th round pick as your future QBs.  Sean Mannion sucks and the proof of that is if the Vikings do not resign him, most likely no one else will either.  

Is Sloter great, no but pretty sad state of the backup QB on the team when all one has to look back on in terms of a QB recently outside of the starter with some ability in a game setting is Kyle Sloter.  A few years back I liked Taylor Heinicke a lot, a few around here ripped on the guy, well he is looking pretty good now compared to ******* Sean Mannion.  

Either way the backup QB situation is the worst or bottom 3 in the league and yeah I say it again.  If that is not an issue then what is?  The Bills have one of the most talented QBs in the NFL in Josh Allen, and they have now Mitchell Trubisky, Jake Fromm and Davis Webb.  Any three of those guys are better than what the Vikings have right now, and that is pretty sad.  

I get all that.  I also remember reports that Sloter was literally getting his own play calls wrong in the huddle so who knows....

A common defense I've heard is that Mannion helps Cousins prepare and therefore makes him better despite offering next to nothing on the field.  I always thought that was bunk.  Shouldn't Cousins be enough of a veteran that he can do all that on his own?  Or even help instill some of these prep habits into a young, developing QB?

In other words, I agree QB2 could use a major upgrade, but I also don't think Sloter is that guy.