Texans trade LB McKinney to Dolphins for LB Lawson

RaidersAreOne

Good run stopper, high IQ but pretty poor in coverage from what I can remember. Pretty much a replacement/upgrade for Elandon Roberts.

Shaq Lawson was pretty disappointing so not a huge price to pay imo. Also saves us a bit of money.

Edited by Emerica

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.battleredblog.com/platform/amp/2020/8/27/21403909/pro-football-focus-ranks-benardrick-mckinney-and-zach-cunningham-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

14. Benardrick McKinney, Houston Texans

McKinney comes in one spot below his teammate Cunningham on the list, profiling more as a traditional run-stopper at nearly 260 pounds. He wasn’t quite as good this past season as he has been in years past, but when looking at the past five seasons as a whole, McKinney’s 86.8 run-defense grade ranks fifth among the 66 linebackers with 2,000 or more defensive snaps.

He’s not as versatile as Cunningham in coverage, but he isn’t a big negative there, either. McKinney has picked up PFF coverage grades of 70.0 or higher in three of the past five seasons. Houston has one of the best linebacker duos in the league heading into 2020.

That's a really solid move.  Appears to be a wash financially, and MLB was a huge need.  Guys who provide what Lawson does (good run D from an edge spot) can found much easier.  Lawson wasn't bad by any means, but his complete lack of pass rush ability from the edge was a disappointment for me.  

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

That's a really solid move.  Appears to be a wash financially, and MLB was a huge need.  Guys who provide what Lawson does (good run D from an edge spot) can found much easier.  Lawson wasn't bad by any means, but his complete lack of pass rush ability from the edge was a disappointment for me.  

I agree. His s production didn’t match his pay check, I’m good as it sets us up for one of the free agents, my guess is Lawson. 

13 hours ago, mountainpd said:

I agree. His s production didn’t match his pay check, I’m good as it sets us up for one of the free agents, my guess is Lawson. 

I think both both fan bases are happy/ok with the trade, which is somewhat of a rare thing. 

• Like 1