Drew Brees announces retirement

Dan33185

12 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I wonder why he re-negotiated his contract, then? 🤔

Whatever. One of the greats. Not sure he's on the quarterback "Mount Rushmore", but damn was he a force to be reckoned with...

Re-negotiating his contract was the clearest sign he was going to retire. It allowed the Saints to clear cap space while bringing Brees' salary down to almost nothing (which Brees didn't care about since he wasn't playing anyway).

3 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

Cute way to announce it with his kids.

Doubt he's the second coming of Romo though in the booth.

I've said before, don't think he's gonna touch Romo.  Could be interesting though still, if he shares knowledge like Romo.

25 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I wonder why he re-negotiated his contract, then? 🤔

Whatever. One of the greats. Not sure he's on the quarterback "Mount Rushmore", but damn was he a force to be reckoned with...

Who you got? Obviously Brady and Montana are locks

I Love Drew Brees. I love the little time he was with my team and he couldn't have gone on to a better situation in 2006. I just wish he made another SB before today. Either way a Legend is retiring and gone are all of the 2000s legends except for one. Have a great retirement Drew.

Why can't anyone just respect the guy for all that he did, praise him in reality. and have a good time about it?

• He is a SB winner, a SB MVP, a prolific passer on the Marino, Favre, Brady, Manning level, and a first ballot HoF QB.
  • He has records all over the place.
  • He's a Walter Payton man of the Year.
  • He's up there with Reggie White and few others as the best UFA signing of all-time.
  • He never won a season MVP award but everyone thinks he was good enough that it was just luck / voting that kept him from winning.
  • He is Mr. New Orleans. 

Now people living in reality stop

Its always got to be layered in tons of BS. (NFL Network clowns for example)

He resurrected that San Diego Franchise!!! (he was 30-28)

He's just like Warner in St Louis and Arizona! (sorry, he did not even win a playoff game in San Diego, so he's actually nothing like Warner)

You have to remember he took over the 'aints! (Reality: they won 7 to 10 games in 5 of 6 years before Brees, They were not the 67-81 Saints)

• Jim Mora and co actually ended the 'aints in the mid 80s
  • Haslett was 45-51 in 6 seasons leading to 2006, including the bad 'he got fired' season at the end.
    • You don't stay at a job for 6 years running the 'aints.
    • Nothing says paper bag on your head like 2 losing seasons in 6 years.

He was the most singularly focused player I have ever been around! (lame superlative without meaning)

• Yeah, cause Manning and Brady were so casual about football. Brees cared more than those guys. 

8 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The rewriting of history after Brees broke out with the Saints is maddening to me. He was generally viewed as the guy holding that Chargers team back from being great in 2005. That was a strong media opinion that year, right or wrong. This was coming off just a generally OK season in 2004. After that '05 Chargers team beat the Colts, they were the best team not to make the playoffs and all that and a lot of fingers were pointed at Brees.

Then you get a lot of fans now who just want to pretend that he was always great. The injury aint the only reason he ended up in New Orleans and why San Diego was only willing to offer him a heavily incentive laden contract.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Why can't anyone just respect the guy for all that he did, praise him in reality. and have a good time about it?

• He is a SB winner, a SB MVP, a prolific passer on the Marino, Favre, Brady, Manning level, and a first ballot HoF QB.
  • He has records all over the place.
  • He's a Walter Payton man of the Year.
  • He's up there with Reggie White and few others as the best UFA signing of all-time.
  • He never won a season MVP award but everyone thinks he was good enough that it was just luck / voting that kept him from winning.
  • He is Mr. New Orleans. 

Now people living in reality stop

Its always got to be layered in tons of BS. (NFL Network clowns for example)

He's just like Warner in St Louis and Arizona! (sorry, he did not even win a playoff game in San Diego, so he's actually nothing like Warner)

You have to remember he took over the 'aints! (Reality: they won 7 to 10 games in 5 of 6 years before Brees, They were not the 67-81 Saints)

• Jim Mora and co actually ended the 'aints in the mid 80s
  • Haslett was 45-51 in 6 seasons leading to 2006, including the bad 'he got fired' season at the end.
    • You don't stay at a job for 6 years running the 'aints.
    • Nothing says paper bag on your head like 2 losing seasons in 6 years.

He was the most singularly focused player I have ever been around! (lame superlative without meaning)

• Yeah, cause Manning and Brady were so casual about football. Brees cared more than those guys. 

He's also the most exceptional QB I've ever seen when it comes to stat padding. It hasn't been as frequent in recent years but there were quite a few years when he was allowed to collect some sweet stats when in fairness it made more sense to run the ball/get the backup.

That said I gotta respect the guy. Although he will always be Bree5 to me ('cause the timing of that game was just hilarious)

• Like 1