Drew Brees announces retirement

Dan33185

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Why can't anyone just respect the guy for all that he did, praise him in reality. and have a good time about it?

• He is a SB winner, a SB MVP, a prolific passer on the Marino, Favre, Brady, Manning level, and a first ballot HoF QB.
  • He has records all over the place.
  • He's a Walter Payton man of the Year.
  • He's up there with Reggie White and few others as the best UFA signing of all-time.
  • He never won a season MVP award but everyone thinks he was good enough that it was just luck / voting that kept him from winning.
  • He is Mr. New Orleans. 

Now people living in reality stop

Its always got to be layered in tons of BS. (NFL Network clowns for example)

He resurrected that San Diego Franchise!!! (he was 30-28)

He's just like Warner in St Louis and Arizona! (sorry, he did not even win a playoff game in San Diego, so he's actually nothing like Warner)

You have to remember he took over the 'aints! (Reality: they won 7 to 10 games in 5 of 6 years before Brees, They were not the 67-81 Saints)

• Jim Mora and co actually ended the 'aints in the mid 80s
  • Haslett was 45-51 in 6 seasons leading to 2006, including the bad 'he got fired' season at the end.
    • You don't stay at a job for 6 years running the 'aints.
    • Nothing says paper bag on your head like 2 losing seasons in 6 years.

He was the most singularly focused player I have ever been around! (lame superlative without meaning)

• Yeah, cause Manning and Brady were so casual about football. Brees cared more than those guys. 

Mora never won a playoff game, and Saints had only one playoff win to their name until 2006, then got a SB within 4 years.  Everyone loves the Dome Patrol, but it is fair to say Brees and Payton turned the franchise around.

No MVPs, but did receive votes 4 separate  years and has about as many MVP caliber seasons.  

In any case, he's earned first ballot HoF status and that's really all that needs to be said.  Yes, there are idiots that go around spouting dumb things, but the vast majority of the population view Brees as number 4 of Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees.  I don't know why the few idiots make people so upset. 

3 hours ago, Magnifico said:

Cute way to announce it with his kids.

Doubt he's the second coming of Romo though in the booth.

It was well done and I think he will be good on TV. (He does not have to be the everyman in your living room Romo, that's unique)

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

The rewriting of history after Brees broke out with the Saints is maddening to me. He was generally viewed as the guy holding that Chargers team back from being great in 2005. That was a strong media opinion that year, right or wrong. This was coming off just a generally OK season in 2004. After that '05 Chargers team beat the Colts, they were the best team not to make the playoffs and all that and a lot of fingers were pointed at Brees.

Then you get a lot of fans now who just want to pretend that he was always great. The injury aint the only reason he ended up in New Orleans and why San Diego was only willing to offer him a heavily incentive laden contract.

Add in having Rivers under contract helps a lot when on deciding to offer or not. 

12 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

The rewriting of history after Brees broke out with the Saints is maddening to me. He was generally viewed as the guy holding that Chargers team back from being great in 2005. That was a strong media opinion that year, right or wrong. This was coming off just a generally OK season in 2004. After that '05 Chargers team beat the Colts, they were the best team not to make the playoffs and all that and a lot of fingers were pointed at Brees.

Then you get a lot of fans now who just want to pretend that he was always great. The injury aint the only reason he ended up in New Orleans and why San Diego was only willing to offer him a heavily incentive laden contract.

2004 DYAR: 7th 

2004 DVOA: 5th

Brees was pretty good that year in a year were a lot of passers balled out. Also won the NFL Comeback Player of the Year award. The next season he was pretty good too ranking 8th and 9th and DYAR/DVOA. I don't remember a lot of backlash being pointed at Brees that year. He didn't have a good final two weeks against the Chiefs and Broncos, but the majority of the year he was one of the better passers. Upper third at least. This was against the #1 toughest schedule that year. Ever since 2004 Brees hasn't looked back. His first three seasons he was bad. Rivers and his big rookie contract are why Brees was let go in addition to his shoulder injury. Otherwise he stays in San Diego. AJ Smith conveniently had an out and Brees wasn't going to take that lowball contract he was offered. 

And I can't agree with you also on the Chargers being the best team that missed out in 2005. I think that was clearly the Chiefs. :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

2004 DYAR: 7th 

2004 DVOA: 5th

Brees was pretty good that year in a year were a lot of passers balled out. Also won the NFL Comeback Player of the Year award. The next season he was pretty good too ranking 8th and 9th and DYAR/DVOA. I don't remember a lot of backlash being pointed at Brees that year. He didn't have a good final two weeks against the Chiefs and Broncos, but the majority of the year he was one of the better passers. Upper third at least. This was against the #1 toughest schedule that year. Ever since 2004 Brees hasn't looked back. His first three seasons he was bad. Rivers and his big rookie contract are why Brees was let go in addition to his shoulder injury. Otherwise he stays in San Diego. AJ Smith conveniently had an out and Brees wasn't going to take that lowball contract he was offered. 

And I can't agree with you also on the Chargers being the best team that missed out in 2005. I think that was clearly the Chiefs. :)

Just to add, I don’t think anybody thinks Brees was as an elite QB in San Diego.  But he turned his career around starting in 2004, and showed flashes.  Physically, Brees struggled to be even average and it took several years of experience and studying the game to really come into his own, unlike say, a Mahomes physical freak that dominated right out of the gate.