NCAA Tournament Midwest Region

beekay414

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Illinois kind of got screwed with Loyola-Chicago as their #8 seed. They're probably the best 8 seed we've seen in the tournament in the last decade, coming in KenPom had them at #9 in the country. 

Kinda like how undefeated Wichita State got screwed with Kentucky as their 8th seed. Not sure where UK was before the tournament but they finished 13th in KenPom.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Kinda like how undefeated Wichita State got screwed with Kentucky as their 8th seed. Not sure where UK was before the tournament but they finished 13th in KenPom.

I know UNC likes to keep it in the family, but if Roy hangs it up this off-season, Porter Moser is definitely a guy I'd pursue if I'm UNC. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I know UNC likes to keep it in the family, but if Roy hangs it up this off-season, Porter Moser is definitely a guy I'd pursue if I'm UNC. 

Eh, Moser is a good coach but I don't think he's elite level blue blood good. He belongs at a school like Wisconsin tbqh. His overall resume is pretty underwhelming so a part of me questions what he's like without a big like Krutwig. That entire offense runs through him and his BBIQ. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Eh, Moser is a good coach but I don't think he's elite level blue blood good. He belongs at a school like Wisconsin tbqh. His overall resume is pretty underwhelming so a part of me questions what he's like without a big like Krutwig. That entire offense runs through him and his BBIQ. 

To go 32-6 with a run to the F4 and then to rebuild the team around Krutwig with limited recruiting resources and be 25-4 on the verge of another deep tournament run 3 years later is pretty damn impressive. 

Brad Stevens had a great run going to back to back title games but they had almost the same team during that span minus Hayward. And Stevens never got out of the first weekend of the tournament in any other year at Butler. 

Shaka Smart made the Final 4 in his second year at VCU but was never able to make it out of the first weekend of the tournament in any other year at VCU or Texas. Hell since his F4 run he only has 2 tournament wins in 10 seasons. 

I think Moser would do well at Indiana due to his ties to the region because he's obviously a pretty damn good coach. 

7 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Illinois didn’t get screwed. Loyola did by being an 8 seed and still went out there and handled business. Illinois is easily more talented of the two teams and got out coached out played and out hustled. Stop giving them an excuse 

Illinois definitely got screwed by having to play a top 10 team in the second round as a #1 seed. While Michigan will play LSU [18-9 coming into the tourney] (#21 on KenPom), Baylor will play Wisconsin [17-12 coming into the tourney] (#12 on KenPom but got a boost after beating UNC), and Gonzaga will play Oklahoma [15-10 coming into the tourney] (#41 on KenPom). 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

To go 32-6 with a run to the F4 and then to rebuild the team around Krutwig with limited recruiting resources and be 25-4 on the verge of another deep tournament run 3 years later is pretty damn impressive. 

Brad Stevens had a great run going to back to back title games but they had almost the same team during that span minus Hayward. And Stevens never got out of the first weekend of the tournament in any other year at Butler. 

Shaka Smart made the Final 4 in his second year at VCU but was never able to make it out of the first weekend of the tournament in any other year at VCU or Texas. Hell since his F4 run he only has 2 tournament wins in 10 seasons. 

I think Moser would do well at Indiana due to his ties to the region because he's obviously a pretty damn good coach. 

Yes, and look how Shaka's worked out for Texas and Stevens is on the hot seat in Boston. I'm just saying, I want to see more before I give him control of a elite blue blood program in a region he has no ties to. I like Moser, I just think he's better off staying in the Midwest. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yes, and look how Shaka's worked out for Texas and Stevens is on the hot seat in Boston. I'm just saying, I want to see more before I give him control of a elite blue blood program in a region he has no ties to. I like Moser, I just think he's better off staying in the Midwest. 

Indiana is in the midwest. 

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Indiana is in the midwest. 

I know. I'm talking about UNC.

Notice - I said elite blue blood, not irrelevant blue blood. We may suck right now but at least we've won multiple natty's this millennium.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I know. I'm talking about UNC.

Notice - I said elite blue blood, not irrelevant blue blood. We may suck right now but at least we've won multiple natty's this millennium.

Who do you want to replace Roy? It looks like Brad Stevens may be unemployed this summer. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Doesn't matter, we're gonna give the job to Hubert Davis anyways.

I was looking at recent Indiana seasons, pretty insane that they haven't been to the final 4 in 20 years and in the 19 years since then they've only made it out of the 1st weekend of the tournament 3 times and have only won 14 tournament games in that span.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I was looking at recent Indiana seasons, pretty insane that they haven't been to the final 4 in 20 years and in the 19 years since then they've only made it out of the 1st weekend of the tournament 3 times and have only won 14 tournament games in that span.

If we're "keeping it in the family," I'd honestly rather have Wes Miller long before Hubert Davis. Davis, being a Roy assistant, will just be more of the same. I want to get away from the "play through the bigs" type offense because it shrinks the floor for guards and guards are playing in a more spaced environment these days. So, when they get to UNC and the paint is clogged by two back-to-the-basket bigs, they have to adjust/grow rather than play to their strengths. If he's going to keep playing that way, he needs to recruit guards that can shoot, otherwise, he's going to keep making dribble-drive guards look like crap like he has with Cole Anthony and Caleb Love.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If we're "keeping it in the family," I'd honestly rather have Wes Miller long before Hubert Davis. Davis, being a Roy assistant, will just be more of the same. I want to get away from the "play through the bigs" type offense because it shrinks the floor for guards and guards are playing in a more spaced environment these days. So, when they get to UNC and the paint is clogged by two back-to-the-basket bigs, they have to adjust/grow rather than play to their strengths. If he's going to keep playing that way, he needs to recruit guards that can shoot, otherwise, he's going to keep making dribble-drive guards look like crap like he has with Cole Anthony and Caleb Love.

I think hiring someone that's actually a good coach as opposed to a great recruiter will be vital for UNC, Duke, and Kentucky if Calipari leaves soon. With Overtime's HS league starting in the fall, the G-League path, and the elimination of the 1-and-done likely coming in 2022, blue bloods are going to have to approach recruiting completely different going forward. 

Davis wouldn't be a bad hire but I'd be a little concerned about turning the keys to the program over to someone that has never been a head coach. 

Edited by NYRaider