NCAA Tournament Midwest Region

beekay414

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Davis wouldn't be a bad hire but I'd be a little concerned about turning the keys to the program over to someone that has never been a head coach. 

If we had a Bill Guthridge like assistant, I'd be okay with it because Bill paid his dues. Hubert's been a coach for all of 9 years and has never ran a program. Oh, wait, I lied. He's the "head coach" of our JV team! LOL

I do not want someone who learned everything from Roy. All that means is nothing changes going forward. It worked with Roy because he's a legend. It won't work with Hubert because he's a n00b. Go get Wes Miller. He's 125-43 over the last 5 years after rebuilding that UNCG program.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If we had a Bill Guthridge like assistant, I'd be okay with it because Bill paid his dues. Hubert's been a coach for all of 9 years and has never ran a program. Oh, wait, I lied. He's the "head coach" of our JV team! LOL

I do not want someone who learned everything from Roy. All that means is nothing changes going forward. It worked with Roy because he's a legend. It won't work with Hubert because he's a n00b. Go get Wes Miller. He's 125-43 over the last 5 years after rebuilding that UNCG program.

When do you think Roy hangs it up? Miller has done a pretty good job turning around the UNCG program and obviously has ties to the university and local area as he has stayed in state. 

I'm curious to see what Duke does when Coach K hangs it up. I think the plan was to keep it in the family but I'm not sure if that happens anymore. Chris Collins looked like a potential replacement but he's 118-134 (49-100 in Big Ten) with only 1 NCAA tournament appearance in 8 years at Northwestern. Wojo went 128-95 (59-68 in Big East) with only 2 NCAA tournament appearances in 7 years at Marquette before being fired. Bobby Hurley is 103-80 (50-55 in Pac 12) with only 2 NCAA tournament appearances in 6 years at Arizona State. And Jeff Capel is 40-48 (15-38 in ACC) with 0 NCAA tournament appearances in 3 years at Pittsburgh. 

I think the hope was that Capel would go on to turn around the Pitt program and then come back to take the job as he played a key role in Duke's recent recruiting success. But he has proven at 3 programs that he's not a great coach. 

If we're going to keep it in the family I'd probably prefer Mike Brey as a stop gap. Or if we're looking at a more long term hire in the family I'd probably prefer Quinn Snyder, although it's unlikely he'd leave the NBA to come back. 

If we go outside of the program I'd prefer Brad Stevens, Chris Beard, or Jay Wright. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

When do you think Roy hangs it up? Miller has done a pretty good job turning around the UNCG program and obviously has ties to the university and local area as he has stayed in state.

No clue. I'm hoping that this class (Love, Kessler, Sharpe, etc) is his last class that he develops and tries to win with, so I'm hoping by 2024 at the latest.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

No clue. I'm hoping that this class (Love, Kessler, Sharpe, etc) is his last class that he develops and tries to win with, so I'm hoping by 2024 at the latest.

If the Celtics come up short again this year, which is looking likely, I wonder what happens with Brad Stevens.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Indiana "fires" whoever they hire lol

They're gonna jk the Archie Miller firing, then refire him after the NBA playoffs when Stevens is available. So many of these hot coaching prospects (Shaka Smart, Mick Cronin, Archie Miller, Sean Miller) have been so meh once they took over bigger programs. 

It's unfortunate what happened with Gregg Marshall, he should've dipped for a big job when he had the opportunity. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

They're gonna jk the Archie Miller firing, then refire him after the NBA playoffs when Stevens is available. So many of these hot coaching prospects (Shaka Smart, Mick Cronin, Archie Miller, Sean Miller) have been so meh once they took over bigger programs. 

It's unfortunate what happened with Gregg Marshall, he should've dipped for a big job when he had the opportunity. 

And this is why I want to see more out of Moser. He's got 17 years as a HC and he's got a .549 winning percentage overall. I just want to see how he does without Krutwig to run his offense.