NFL Free Agency 2021

KingTitan

I’m say it again instead of drafting a NT that is 1 dimensional draft a NT thats a stud that would help Simmons in the scheme of things. That being said we need a NT however we don’t need the traditional heavy NT, we need a NT that’s a disruptive force can play the run, eat up blocks, command a double team etc.  Christian Barmore a versatile DL that can play NT, 3tech & 5tech explosive & can play all 3 downs. 💪🏽

On 3/25/2021 at 9:37 AM, TitanRedd said:

I’m say it again instead of drafting a NT that is 1 dimensional draft a NT thats a stud that would help Simmons in the scheme of things. That being said we need a NT however we don’t need the traditional heavy NT, we need a NT that’s a disruptive force can play the run, eat up blocks, command a double team etc.  Christian Barmore a versatile DL that can play NT, 3tech & 5tech explosive & can play all 3 downs. 💪🏽

If it isnt a WR in the first, Barmore is my second choice.. dude's a beast. 

Question...

How does the restricted free agent hung work?

Meaning if the Titans were to sign JC Jackson before the draft would they lose a 2nd pick this year or next?

If it is this year, would the Titans be smart to sign him after the draft so they lose a 2nd rounder next year,

Say the Titans really like Jalen Phillips and they take him in the first, Then they take Moore in the 2nd round

Would it then be smart to sign JC after the draft?

Just curious if something like that could work 

2 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Question...

How does the restricted free agent hung work?

Meaning if the Titans were to sign JC Jackson before the draft would they lose a 2nd pick this year or next?

If it is this year, would the Titans be smart to sign him after the draft so they lose a 2nd rounder next year,

Say the Titans really like Jalen Phillips and they take him in the first, Then they take Moore in the 2nd round

Would it then be smart to sign JC after the draft?

Just curious if something like that could work 

It would be for our 2nd round pick(#53 overall) this year, and you can only sign someone to an offer sheet up until the day before the draft, so can't do it post draft.

8 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

It would be for our 2nd round pick(#53 overall) this year, and you can only sign someone to an offer sheet up until the day before the draft, so can't do it post draft.

Oh ok thank you for clearing that up 

I really want a CB like Horn if he is there 

But if Phillips falls the Titans may have to take him 

We lack depth still at OLB

Im starting to talk myself into hoping for Phillips and Moore as our first 2 picks this year if it falls that way 

Still a month to go I’m sure I’ll change my wants by then but as of today 3/30 that’s what I am starting to wish for 

Just been thinking and I guess this is a good place to put it considering it's about roster building.

But yes, I expect the offense to take a step back or maybe take a few weeks to kick into gear. Losing your OC is the biggest reason. But yeah Davis, Smith are a big reason too.  Hump to me was more a lost of name than production. 
The way this offense is set up, we don't need to pour a big amount of resources into a slot WR. He just isn't on the field enough.  Now. If we expand our passing game then yes!  But the offense as we know it, doesn't need an expensive or high round pick in the slot. 

An offense that is built around Henry, AJ and Tanny in theory should be good enough for a top 10-15 offense. I think our offense might not be as deadly, but I think with the additions we made on defense and hopefully more defined identity will improve our offense and therefore improve our team.

The question was asked a while back in here if we thought the 2020-21 Titans would be better than the 21-22 Titans. I think on paper last year we should have been so much better. But I think this year we might be a better team and not look it on paper. 

• Like 1

For me, it’s as simple as this. Since August of 2020, here are our losses:

Arthur Smith, Corey Davis, Adam Humphries, Jonnu Smith, Dennis Kelly, Isaiah Wilson (trying to remember a time when he was just a first round pick we tried to have hope for), Daquon Jones, Jadaveon Clowney, Vic Beasley, Malcolm Butler, Adoree Jackson, Kenny Vaccaro.

Here are our gains:

Josh Reynolds, Kendall Lamm, Denico Autry, Bud Dupree, Janoris Jenkins, Kevin Johnson.

It’s just...rough. If we had replaced Bowen, I could argue that some pass rush additions and competent defensive coaching could easily outweigh losses in the secondary, but that hope was killed. So we’re stuck with the same staff and a similar talent level.

I have no idea what to expect on offense. The talent is obviously worse and we lost our offensive coordinator, so I’m assuming it will take a step back. We can also talk about Firkser being an equal receiver to Jonnu, or Swaim being a good blocker, but the real fact is if we were ever really thinking of opening up the passing game, needing two TEs to combine to take on the role of one pretty much makes it impossible. And that’s before acknowledging that Lamm is only an even borderline serviceable RT in a power-run scheme.

Lol. I’m just not feeling good I guess. The offseason got off to such a bad start with the Bowen promotion that the only thing that could’ve washed that taste out of my mouth was a real influx of talent. And I’m not sure even the most optimistic of you guys can argue that we’ve seen that.

• Like 1

Even if we kept Davis/Smith, next year was looking closer to 8-8 than 12-4 to me.

our offense was fool’s gold and GB/BAL showed how to beat us. Sell out to stop Henry and make RT beat you. He probably won’t. We don’t want to evolve into the modern NFL, we just want to pound the ball.

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

For me, it’s as simple as this. Since August of 2020, here are our losses:

Arthur Smith, Corey Davis, Adam Humphries, Jonnu Smith, Dennis Kelly, Isaiah Wilson (trying to remember a time when he was just a first round pick we tried to have hope for), Daquon Jones, Jadaveon Clowney, Vic Beasley, Malcolm Butler, Adoree Jackson, Kenny Vaccaro.

Here are our gains:

Josh Reynolds, Kendall Lamm, Denico Autry, Bud Dupree, Janoris Jenkins, Kevin Johnson.

It’s just...rough. If we had replaced Bowen, I could argue that some pass rush additions and competent defensive coaching could easily outweigh losses in the secondary, but that hope was killed. So we’re stuck with the same staff and a similar talent level.

There are more names gone than gained, but losing Humphries, Wilson (not sure why you even listed him lol), Jones, Clowney, Beasley, Jackson, and Vacarro are all easily replaceable from their 2020 production or lack thereof.

Kelly I’m a bit on the fence about but losing Arthur, Jonnu, Davis, and Butler are the only real blows in my mind and replacing Butler with Jenkins is actually an improvement according to some.

I really don’t think it’s as bad as it looks personnel wise. Downing and Bowen on the other hand is what’s most worrisome tbh

Edited by dtait93

Well, I'm in the camp that it was both players and play calling that was the problem on defense. I've said it multiple times, but my prime example is when you call the perfect double team on a guy like Adams and your players get beat, what can you do?

The coaching part is that they obviously wasn't communicating what they want them to be doing, too many lost and busted plays to be well coordinated. And I think law of averages can only go up. They were that bad to me. 

Offensively I'm more optimistic in Downing because all you have to do is not mess up Derrick, AJ and Tanny. If you can do that you have at least a middle of the pack offense. But I think will be better. 

I also think we've neve experienced an offense where we had two 1,000 yard receivers, so to lose one feels like we just lost a Hall of Famer in our book. But I think the WRs coming out now are just light years better than anything we were scouting before Robinson. Even the worst offense or coach couldn't mess them up. 

We shall see. But I think we will be better complete team than last year. Dunno about how we finish or the record. But on paper last year we should have been 14-2 or 13-3.