the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Nope.  And quite frankly, I'm not even sure it's close.  It's a pretty easy 4th round comp pick though.

Had to look it up, last time we saw a third in the compensatory formula was the year we let Jennings and Walden walk.  Gained us a 3rd and a 5th.  That was before you could wheel and deal those picks but  that is a nice return.

It's not even borderline.  The lowest 3rd round comp pick handed out that was for a minority higher was the Rams for Dante Fowler.  Fowler averaged $15M/year.  The highest 4th round pick handed out was Dallas for Robert Quinn who averaged $14M/year.  It's a middle-ish 4th round compensatory pick.

Normally yes but with the cap reduction is that gonna play a role in the comp pick formula?

44 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Here's your Packers news for the day: 

Let's go!

The Packers are really invested in the Nijman project. Was willing to burn a roster spot to keep him on the 53 yet they never made him active for game day (I think). When injuries hit they were bringing players off the street and playing them ahead of Nijman. Despite all that we never cut him and now we've placed a ERFA tender on him.

They must really see something in him worth developing.

Just now, deltarich87 said:

Normally yes but with the cap reduction is that gonna play a role in the comp pick formula?

The cap reduced by about 8% from this previous season.  IF we make the assumption that the levels drop similarly, that would still mean that the "unofficial line" is $13.8M which falls significantly lower than the $12.5M/year that Linsley is reportedly signing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unless I wasn't paying very close attention, it seemed Barry viewed Alexander's future in that STAR role.

I'm not positive but I don't think that's true. I was going to start a thread to talk all about the star as I'm not sure I know exactly all it entails

Edited by cannondale

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Wow! that's a big surprise for me. Barry went on and on about the star position in his introductory presser saying you never can have too many of them. Greene plays in that exact position for us.

I will be curious as to how we will proceed from here. We have had real problems finding "that" guy for the role. Failed with Josh Jones, Oren Burks, Raven Greene and countless UDFA prospects.

Just now, Chili said:

Wow! that's a big surprise for me. Barry went on and on about the star position in his introductory presser saying you never can have too many of them. Greene plays in that exact position for us.

I will be curious as to how we will proceed from here. We have had real problems finding "that" guy for the role. Failed with Josh Jones, Oren Burks, Raven Greene and countless UDFA prospects.

Greene was the epitome of a JAG.  He wasn't particularly great at it, and you can't justify putting the tender on him.  It was the right move.

• Like 2

Greene was the epitome of a JAG.  He wasn't particularly great at it, and you can't justify putting the tender on him.  It was the right move.

Then why did the defence struggle to perform whenever he was out with injury? Doesn't sound like a JAG to me. He was considered an important part of the defence in the past couple of years.

Edited by Chili