the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

4 hours ago, Chili said:

This should be a picture showing a comprehensive list of available free agents but unfortunately it's showing up as a clickable link instead of a picture. at least that's the case for me.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwzvsRlXEAAZOu4?format=png&name=large

Also saw this one.  It's Bengals-centric but it gets the point across.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRwCmwklfJA9iGSn_OedkalXdLBgtRxOFx_6b55QQu0wawAt9cMCyKvJ0KMF8l-fhisQG7MVm5fzI7N/pubhtml

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

I think about $1.6m net added once you subtract roster displacements.

I think it's closer to $2.6M.  You have to figure that they're going to need 660k per player the draft picks are replacing.  You've got 10 draft picks, so 10 x $0.66M is $6.6M and the 10 draft picks are worth just under $9.2M which means the difference is about $2.6M, so let's call it $3M for simplicity's sake.

54 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, if the Packers don't want to mess with Rodgers' contract, fine I get it. But then why push all of these other contracts over the the last month? Why not just trade Rodgers now? Why resign Aaron Jones? So far, this feels very half-assed by the Packers. Just do "enough" to barely get under the cap but not enough to actually improve the team. I'd rather go all the way and move every possible dollar available to build the best team I can this year, or just start the rebuild now. Going half-way makes no sense, unless you're goal is simply to hang another NFC Division Champs banner on the wall. 

The deadline to restructure Rodgers' bonus is today (unless they agree to extend it), so it'll be enlightening to see what happens. 

Because unless Billy Turner absolutely stinks it up, he's going to be back next year.  Za'Darius Smith even with his massive cap hit in 2022, is going to likely be an extension candidate.  Preston Smith is a guaranteed cap casualty, and Adrian Amos is likely going to be back in 2022.  I think the Packers view Aaron Rodgers' contract as an ATM so to speak.  You aren't spending just for the sake of spending money.  But if the Packers have a FA they want to sign and they need to create cap space, they can convert his roster bonus or base salary into a signing bonus.  But there's no reason to convert it to future dead cap unless they're planning on using it.  Remember, the Packers have historically never been a team who has shown a desire to kick the cap into the future going back to Ted Thompson's day as GM.

19 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Was Gutey playing the long game knowing many of these releases of desirable players were coming?

Obviously cap space helps dictate the plan. Find a bargain or two and trust the personnel department with 10 draft picks. Other than DL, the draft should be fruitful. Assuming they don't screw it up

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Because unless Billy Turner absolutely stinks it up, he's going to be back next year.  Za'Darius Smith even with his massive cap hit in 2022, is going to likely be an extension candidate.  Preston Smith is a guaranteed cap casualty, and Adrian Amos is likely going to be back in 2022.  I think the Packers view Aaron Rodgers' contract as an ATM so to speak.  You aren't spending just for the sake of spending money.  But if the Packers have a FA they want to sign and they need to create cap space, they can convert his roster bonus or base salary into a signing bonus.  But there's no reason to convert it to future dead cap unless they're planning on using it.  Remember, the Packers have historically never been a team who has shown a desire to kick the cap into the future going back to Ted Thompson's day as GM.

I guess I see it differently than this. There should be no "if" proposition here. We clearly need to address and strengthen a few positions. Unless they believe they have the money to adequately do that without touching 12's contract, then why wait? The question shouldn't be "if" we are going to spend money to fill these holes, the question should only be "who" are going to spend it on. Doing nothing because "we didn't see a guy we really wanted" is not a solution. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I guess I see it differently than this. There should be no "if" proposition here. We clearly need to address and strengthen a few positions. Unless they believe they have the money to adequately do that without touching 12's contract, then why wait? The question shouldn't be "if" we are going to spend money to fill these holes, the question should only be "who" are going to spend it on. Doing nothing because "we didn't see a guy we really wanted" is not a solution. 

Why is Rodgers contract different than any other players?

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Because I think it's quite clear that the Gutekunst doesn't share that same level of pessimism that you do.  Based on every move this year that Gute has done, it seems quite evident that the Packers want to "run it back" with their current core.  But beyond this upcoming year, that's a bigger question and given the Jordan Love selection it seems that Love's future is 2022 and beyond.  But back to the original point, I think Dean Lowry is the definition of a JAG.  But what makes you think all these cap casualties are going to be a clear upgrade over Lowry?  Pretty sure you've advocated for guys like Jurrell Casey (played in 3 games last year) and Geno Atkins (8 games played, 0 starts).

What type of re-structures?  With each player it's a different situation.  With some we expect them to be here 2 years or longer.  With some we are in a position to cut them in 1 or 2 years.  We must be careful with 12, we better not bury ourselves in a contract re-structure with him that would make him impossible to move in that 1-2 year time span.

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because I think it's quite clear that the Gutekunst doesn't share that same level of pessimism that you do.  Based on every move this year that Gute has done, it seems quite evident that the Packers want to "run it back" with their current core.  But beyond this upcoming year, that's a bigger question and given the Jordan Love selection it seems that Love's future is 2022 and beyond.  But back to the original point, I think Dean Lowry is the definition of a JAG.  But what makes you think all these cap casualties are going to be a clear upgrade over Lowry?  Pretty sure you've advocated for guys like Jurrell Casey (played in 3 games last year) and Geno Atkins (8 games played, 0 starts).

With the money we have to throw around (which isn't much), you're not going to get perfect players. I'm a fan of journeymen vets who at least "had a prime." Look at Suh for Tampa last year. Had a very effective role in that defense and most would consider him well past his prime days. Casey and Atkins are former studs. I'd throw Malik Jackson into this conversation as well. If they were still studs, you'd have to pay them $12m+ million a year. Now you probably pay them $5m with some incentives and you hope you strike gold. You also probably get a discount given they are coming off of injury seasons (see Kirksey deal in 2020). Or you can just roll with Lowry and know exactly what you're getting, with zero chance of improvement.

If it were me, I'd bite the bullet, use the Rodgers ATM until I got the "declined" notification and sign one of the best CBs left on the market, add a DT like the guys we're talking about, and probably add a Wagner type player to the OL (I'd even be in favor of bringing Wagner back). If I felt really greedy and had the money, I'd try to make a run a Juju (oops, he was signed while typing this), Hilton or maybe Watkins as well. Then, if THAT team fails to make it, I solve my 2022 salary cap issues in virtually one move -- trade Aaron Rodgers. 

Edited by packfanfb