the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

I think the only place I really want us to pick up talent now before the draft is DT. In the draft the soft spot it looks like is the 3rd to 5th rounds for DT's.

In terms of FA DT's available it is drying up:
Atkins, Short and Casey are all coming off injuries and old.
DaQuan Jones is also good. Apart from that though just a bunch of bodies available similar to Lancaster

Looking at the roster:
QB - set
RB - late round pick up
WR - set - maybe pick one in the draft, a future need not a present need
TE - set
OL - need an early OT, mid round centre possibly

DT - weak and weak draft class
OLB - set
ILB - could use more talent but we have never valued the position
CB - need to improve, take early
S - set

KR/PR - Need one badly

Overall, I'm very confident and happy with our roster, every team has holes but we have young players who I are growing in this team. I'm particuarly excited to see how MVS and Lazard develop this year.

6 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I think the only place I really want us to pick up talent now before the draft is DT. In the draft the soft spot it looks like is the 3rd to 5th rounds for DT's.

In terms of FA DT's available it is drying up:
Atkins, Short and Casey are all coming off injuries and old.
DaQuan Jones is also good. Apart from that though just a bunch of bodies available similar to Lancaster

Looking at the roster:
QB - set
RB - late round pick up
WR - set - maybe pick one in the draft, a future need not a present need
TE - set
OL - need an early OT, mid round centre possibly

DT - weak and weak draft class
OLB - set
ILB - could use more talent but we have never valued the position
CB - need to improve, take early
S - set

KR/PR - Need one badly

Overall, I'm very confident and happy with our roster, every team has holes but we have young players who I are growing in this team. I'm particuarly excited to see how MVS and Lazard develop this year.

DL is now the #1 need.  Sign Jurrell Casey.  Quit messing around and solidify this unit.

OL - need a tackle fairly high in the draft, and at minimum need to bring back Veldheer.

ILB is pretty horrible, but the Packers have shown that they don't prioritize that position.

CB - probably going to draft one high and maybe one in the middle.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean it wouldn't hurt. Our return game shouldn't be THIS bad. It's embarrassing. 

Except in the case of elite talent (Hester), kick and punt returning has more to do with coaching than the returner.  

Additionally, due to NFL rule changes, not even Devin Hester would be a household name if he entered the league today.

Our return game is only terrible because our special teams coordinator was terrible.

If our new ST coordinator is decent, our KR/PR will be decent.  If they’re good, our KR/PR will be good.  If great, great.  If terrible, terrible.  If mediocre, mediocre, if meh, meh.  If ehhhhh, ehhhh.  If super, super.  If super duper, super duper.  If bland, bland.  

No team needs a good KR/PR anymore.  Period.

Without Googling it (we both know you will), could you list 3 of the top 10 kick returners or punt returners in the NFL last year?

The answer is no.  You couldn’t.  Some dude named Gunner led the league in punt return average and every other category last year.

Why?  Because he’s a Patriot who can field a punt.  That’s why.

• Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Except in the case of elite talent (Hester), kick and punt returning has more to do with coaching than the returner.  

Additionally, due to NFL rule changes, not even Devin Hester would be a household name if he entered the league today.

Our return game is only terrible because our special teams coordinator was terrible.

If our new ST coordinator is decent, our KR/PR will be decent.  If they’re good, our KR/PR will be good.  If great, great.  If terrible, terrible.  If mediocre, mediocre, if meh, meh.  If ehhhhh, ehhhh.  If super, super.  If super duper, super duper.  If bland, bland.  

No team needs a good KR/PR anymore.  Period.

Without Googling it (we both know you will), could you list 3 of the top 10 kick returners or punt returners in the NFL last year?

The answer is no.  You couldn’t.  Some dude named Gunner led the league in punt return average and every other category last year.

Why?  Because he’s a Patriot who can field a punt.  That’s why.

Coordinator is part of it but if you looked back and found the best ST unit in the history of the NFL and then put Malik Taylor at kick returner for that team, they'd be near or at the bottom in KR average for the season. Just get a guy who at least can be competent back there. No one is saying go sign Patterson. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Coordinator is part of it but if you looked back and found the best ST unit in the history of the NFL and then put Malik Taylor at kick returner for that team, they'd be near or at the bottom in KR average for the season. Just get a guy who at least can be competent back there. No one is saying go sign Patterson. 

What does it say about our staff that they had Taylor doing that?

Literally every punt returner is some undrafted, 5th round, 7th round so and so nobody.

Patterson is the exception, not the rule, and the only reason he’s a star ST player is because he busted hard at WR.

I’m right and you know it.

If a coaching staff accounts for 30% of whether or not a QB busts or hits, ST coordination accounts for 90% of whether or not a PR/KR busts or hits.

33 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Literally every punt returner is some undrafted, 5th round, 7th round so and so nobody.

Patterson is the exception, not the rule, and the only reason he’s a star ST player is because he busted hard at WR.

If a coaching staff accounts for 30% of whether or not a QB busts or hits, ST coordination accounts for 90% of whether or not a PR/KR busts or hits.

It's not even ST coordinators, a lot of it is GMs. The Packers have never let their ST guys pick a bunch of bodies

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not even ST coordinators, a lot of it is GMs. The Packers have never let their ST guys pick a bunch of bodies

Are they wrong?  99% of the time the plan should be not fumble the ball.  Taking the ball away from Aaron and giving it to the other team seems like a great way to lose.

58 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't even think we are arguing completely different points. I'm not saying invest considerable resources in a KR/PR but on the other side of the spectrum, to say those positions are irrelevant is stupid. You can win a game with a good return. PRs are especially important for field position, etc. You don't need Desmond Howard back there (although it would be nice), but give me something better than what we've had. Hell, I'd kill for Micah Hyde back there again. At least he was a "threat" to get a 10+ yard return once in a while. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are they wrong?  99% of the time the plan should be not fumble the ball.  Taking the ball away from Aaron and giving it to the other team seems like a great way to lose.

We're ranked dead last almost every year in special teams.  I'd say it's safe to say that they are wrong.

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't even think we are arguing completely different points. I'm not saying invest considerable resources in a KR/PR but on the other side of the spectrum, to say those positions are irrelevant is stupid. You can win a game with a good return. PRs are especially important for field position, etc. You don't need Desmond Howard back there (although it would be nice), but give me something better than what we've had. Hell, I'd kill for Micah Hyde back there again. At least he was a "threat" to get a 10+ yard return once in a while. 

Dumping Ervin for Patterson would be a big upgrade.  Cordarrell can do that gadget stuff and also provide a better alternative as a backup RB.  Adding Patterson would also signal that the Packers want to get better on teams.

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not saying they're wrong at all. I'm fact I agree with the plan. Just pointing out that our ST Coordinator are frequently working with guys picked for them for another purpose.

In essence that's what ST coaching is, but the disadvantage that ours face as far as unit building is a bit more significant.