the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I don't like Lawrence. He looks like a bust to me. It's not that crazy. 

Dude is a wizard.  No guarantees that he's the next great QB to enter the NFL.  About as good a prospect as you could ask for but that doesn't mean he's not bust proof either.  Probably the best QB prospect to come out since Andrew Luck.  Yah I'd trade Love for Lawrence all day long. 

Could probably command at least 3 first rounders in trade if you wanted to go that way.  As far as career goes who knows.  Love definitely has a leg up going to the Packers and being properly developed.  Lawrence will go to the Jags and trial by fire.  Can they ruin him?  Absolutely they can.  If Jags were smart they would let him ride the pine for a year.  But they won't.   

You are really high on Love Incognito.  Hope you are right.  Me seeing is believing.  So reserving judgement until he can prove it on the field.  Not this year though he needs at least another year of seasoning before he's ready to showcase his talents.

18 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

You are really high on Love Incognito

Not really. Not yet. I'm high on his skillset + situation. I'm low on Lawrence's skillset + situation.

Was definitely much higher on Rodgers than I am on Love - but I recognize Love's ELITE arm-twitch/velocity. He has a ridiculously live arm, and if you can build a complete QB around that, the sky is the limit - but that's a ridiculously big ask.

40 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Not really. Not yet. I'm high on his skillset + situation. I'm low on Lawrence's skillset + situation.

Was definitely much higher on Rodgers than I am on Love - but I recognize Love's ELITE arm-twitch/velocity. He has a ridiculously live arm, and if you can build a complete QB around that, the sky is the limit - but that's a ridiculously big ask.

Yah Packers saw that too.  What they are banking on.  It's going to be all about the mental aspect of his game.  Tools are all there but can he read a defense?  Make the right decisions?  That's the key.  He's in the perfect situation learning from Rodgers from the sidelines.  Needs to be disciplined not a reckless gunslinger.  I am still suffering from Kizeritus.  All the tools but busted out.  It's really up to Love if he works hard and is dedicated he'll succeed.  If not he'll bust it's really that simple.

@incognito_man

Thank you for elaborating concerning Love and Lawrence.

Once you bring "situation" into the conversation, yah, I think you are right.

But man, if Lawrence got to sit behind Rodgers and pick his brain on a daily basis for a year or two?  Look out NFL.  And maybe, just maybe the same is true for Love.  Can't argue against the feet or the arm strength.  

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 12:25 PM, deathstar said:

Trey Lance has some of the most polished fundamentals in the class. Additionally he was one of the most risk averse QBs in the class. Him and Love aren’t very similar.

You really think he's the most polished? I could see him being risk adverse like you say but he's playing on a team who's lost like 8 games in ten years in fcs. That can't hurt when you don't HAVE to carry a team in that regard.

7 hours ago, Norm said:

You really think he's the most polished? I could see him being risk adverse like you say but he's playing on a team who's lost like 8 games in ten years in fcs. That can't hurt when you don't HAVE to carry a team in that regard.

Lance plays in a very pro style system compared to most of college football. He plays from under center, makes adjustments based on coverage, has some of the best footwork/play action game in the class, his release is great. The dudes draw backs are playing in only one game in 2020 and being in an offense that had TEs and RBs as the #1 read a lot of the time. He could use some time to acclimate to the game but there’s nothing raw about the tools Lance is bringing to his team. 

2 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Lance plays in a very pro style system compared to most of college football. He plays from under center, makes adjustments based on coverage, has some of the best footwork/play action game in the class, his release is great. The dudes draw backs are playing in only one game in 2020 and being in an offense that had TEs and RBs as the #1 read a lot of the time. He could use some time to acclimate to the game but there’s nothing raw about the tools Lance is bringing to his team. 

Idk if that pro style stuff matters as much anymore tbh. I can see the dude's ability obviously but I was never blown away with him live as much as most people seem to be. Maybe I'll go take a look again one day though. The idea he felt polished never crossed my mind I guess.. Felt like he ran too much and accuracy wasn't great but again this was just me watching him like 3-4 times. 

4 hours ago, Norm said:

Idk if that pro style stuff matters as much anymore tbh. I can see the dude's ability obviously but I was never blown away with him live as much as most people seem to be. Maybe I'll go take a look again one day though. The idea he felt polished never crossed my mind I guess.. Felt like he ran too much and accuracy wasn't great but again this was just me watching him like 3-4 times. 

I agree that more offenses are adapting to their QB play, but for right now before the draft it at least increases the options he has in regards to offenses he can run. In regards to accuracy he can make bad decisions sometimes. IMO that’s the better accuracy problem to have than just being unable to hit throws or putting your receiver in harms way.

11 hours ago, deathstar said:

Just wanted to kind of nitpick here lol. Lance's footwork isn't what most would consider great. He has some issues at the top of his drop which lead him to have to reset. The rest you said is true as he made adjustments and has a great release with a substantial arm. The offense does not have the TE or RB as the #1 read though. The RB in particular caught very few passes in the offense other than an occasional screen pass. The TE isn't really utilized much in that offense until the redzone. His number 1 read is generally outside and for much of the year his number 2 read was run.

11 hours ago, Norm said:

I would encourage you to watch him again as I think you might end up liking him more. But your criticisms of him aren't off. He relied on his legs too much at times and had some struggles with accuracy. He isn't that polished but he isn't far off. Teams will need to remember he is only 20 years old so there is a lot of room to grow. 

1 hour ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I would encourage you to watch him again as I think you might end up liking him more. But your criticisms of him aren't off. He relied on his legs too much at times and had some struggles with accuracy. He isn't that polished but he isn't far off. Teams will need to remember he is only 20 years old so there is a lot of room to grow. 

I'm sure I would. That happens with me and QBs watching live a lot. Had no idea he was that young though, damn.