the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

Adam Schefter -    And New England strikes again: The Patriots are signing former Chargers' TE Hunter Henry to a three-year, $37.5 million deal, including $25 million guaranteed, per source. Free agency's top two tight ends, Henry and Jonnu Smith, wind up in New England.

Adam Schefter -   In less than 24 hours, the Patriots have guaranteed over $137.5 million, placing them second in NFL history for most guaranteed money in a free-agent signing period. The record could be theirs before free agency officially begins at 4 pm Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -   In less than 24 hours, the Patriots have guaranteed over $137.5 million, placing them second in NFL history for most guaranteed money in a free-agent signing period. The record could be theirs before free agency officially begins at 4 pm Wednesday.

They will set the record but who currently holds it? BB in full mad scientist/drunken sailor form spending other people’s money. It will be interesting to see the results.   Those contracts could look like bargains if the cap takes a huge jump but FA generally burns you on  a few. 

9 minutes ago, Refugee said:

They will set the record but who currently holds it? BB in full mad scientist/drunken sailor form spending other people’s money. It will be interesting to see the results.   Those contracts could look like bargains if the cap takes a huge jump but FA generally burns you on  a few. 

I look back when we signed P, Z, Amos and Turner.  All 4 have hit.  Sure P regressed, but still he was worth it.

Thinking we were pretty fortunate that year in free agency.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I look back when we signed P, Z, Amos and Turner.  All 4 have hit.  Sure P regressed, but still he was worth it.

Thinking we were pretty fortunate that year in free agency.

That was an exceptional FA class.  Probably  none were blockbuster deals but we can see those contracts already had to be reworked in this lean year.  No one was cut, so Ball did good work keeping things flexible. I won’t be surprised if those guys play well in NE, but they might not be worth the money in a season or two. 

Edited by Refugee

Just now, St Vince said:

Hoping today someone signs fournette away from TB. That's team has zero weaknesses.  

That deal, before AB, had me truly ticked off. Picking up a guy like that for a song on a loaded team, damn. Let’s just call it jealousy because I want some ring chasers to come here on the cheap. 

2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Hoping today someone signs fournette away from TB. That's team has zero weaknesses.  

Their secondary isn't as good as advertised/is vulnerable deep if you can pass protect. Just hard to do with a backup tackle/tackles. Their interior OL was also not the strongest, which is also the way you force Brady into mistakes.

That being said, they have the most important strength with a strong pass rush...which helps protect your secondary and over aggressive LBs.