the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You obviously have to take King's whole body of work into account.  He was bad against Tampa.  I don't think anyone would argue that.  It is also probably not fair to judge him on one game.  As a whole, he is an upper to mid tier #2 CB, and will probably miss a handful of games.  We could certainly do worse. Do we want to go with what we know, or start fresh and risk it?

I'd be pretty happy to have King back.  We don't have the cap to sign some studly CB.  I think most other options are worse than King.  So if we could stay at the same King-level, rather than get worse, I'd be pleased.  

• Like 1

And there is no right answer to bringing back King or starting over.  I am just curious to what people think.

I think it is worth at least exploring.  If we don't bring in a FA CB, we probably are forced to draft one in the first or second, given our current roster and what the players on it have shown.

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

And there is no right answer to bringing back King or starting over.  I am just curious to what people think.

I think it is worth at least exploring.  If we don't bring in a FA CB, we probably are forced to draft one in the first or second, given our current roster and what the players on it have shown.

I am not opposed to bringing back King at all. The way it looks right now we can bring him back on the cheap and regardless of what happened in the NFC Championship game, he’s a good corner.  There are worse starting CBs in this league. Resign King and take a CB with a round 1 or 2 pick and I’m happy. 

• Like 1

Signing King - even short term - along with a legit draft pick provides options. "Jaire, some random draft pick, Sullivan - we're good to go" is asking for trouble. Even though some fans are fine with just filling in minimal blanks on the depth chart at such important positions

Edited by cannondale

Since we’re entering into a new era (new D coordinator), it’s hard for me to gauge the pros and cons of bringing King back, since one of the upsides to keeping him is he knows the system.  The flip side of this is that if the system changes, then it could possibly benefit King if he’s utilized properly.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Here's his contract details with Miami

Correct me if i'm wrong but does this mean his cap hit is $10,625,000?

If that's the case then we had no chance.

Depends on what those incentives were Likely To Be Earned or Unlikely To Be Earned.  If it's the former, it was a $10.6M deal.  IF they were unlikely, it's $13.6M.

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

We need to drop this whole "we cant afford anyone" bit. It's a fallacy. If GB wants Fuller they can sign Fuller.

I mean, they can sign whoever they want.  But that also likely means you need to restructure Rodgers, which so far the Packers have been reluctant to do.

1 hour ago, gopackgo972 said:

.. Resign King and take a CB with a round 1 or 2 pick and I’m happy. 

Yes.  Not one or the other; do both.  *IF* the pick works out right away, great, you can have an excellent secondary for now, play all three, and play Redmond less.  If the pick proves to be more Jackson or Rollins and is NOT useful, you'll be glad to have King.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gopackgo972 said:

regardless of what happened in the NFC Championship game,

nah, king is bostic and mac level for me.

wipe the slate clean and grab a better guy

Let Fuller pick off Dalton 4 times

remember when Fuller dropped that sure aaron INT. lets pay it forward.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Lane Taylor also played in 2 games prior to him lowering his base salary.  Dean Lowry played in 16 games last year and only missed 1 game in his career.

I wish he missed more.  He's not better than a practice squad player.  Borderline addition by subtraction.

Man, I didn't realize just how bad Andy Dalton's career stats really were. 😬

Worse than 2/1 TD/INT -ratio. 87.5 career QB rating with just one >100 QB rating season and one other >90 QB rating.

LOL Trubisky's career rating is 87.2, just .3 worse than Dalton's. Foles' is .4 worse, with much better peak seasons... Now I can see how Bears' fans were talking about paying two identical mediocre QBs.

Cousins over 10 QB rating points better than Dalton over his career. Goff 4 points higher. AR on another planet. 😆

Edited by salmar80

Yea, what a colossal waste of the Bears’ window. They had a really solid team set up in 2018. Change one tiny decision in 2017 with their whiff on QB and they probably look like geniuses right now with Mahomes or Watson leading a perennial contender. But that whiff is looking like less and less of a fluke now. They keep stacking up the QB misses with Glennon, Foles, and finally Dalton. 

Their FO knew their last shot was to pull off the Hail Mary trade for Wilson. Now they’ll have to hope for a rookie-QB miracle or be out of a job. 

• Like 1