the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

There’s even an OT or two should Gute choose to go that route. Gute has played FA well so far I think. Resign/restructure his guys, let the market settle then attack it.

let’s hope he does attack it at least lol. 

Edited by gopackgo972
  • Like 1

I'm looking into the idea the Packers might be targeting a trade for a WR. It got me thinking about who could be realistic candidates for a trade.

Two names immediately comes to mind: Michael Gallup ($2,665,495) and DJ Chark ($2,511,588) - both with 1 year left on their deals. Chark is interesting because he has a new HC and he brought in three WRs in free agency, maybe there's something there to explore.

Who else is there? Are there any teams who are unhappy with their WRs or has a brand new coaching regime?

I've come up with the following:

Miles Boykin (Underwhelmed - 2 years left on contract) $1,064,232 and $1,179,232 cap hit
N'Keal Harry (Underwhelmed - 2 years left plus 5th yr option) $2,754,095 and $3,213,110 cap hit
Dante Pettis (If they sign Golladay will be pushed down the pecking order - 1 yr left) $1,352,803 cap hit
James Washington (Will be 4th choice if JuJu comes back - 1 year left) $1,432,248 cap hit
Russell Gage (New head coach - 1 year left) $2,222,050 cap hit
J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (Underwhelmed & new head coach - 2 years left) $1,348,017 and $1,572,687 cap hit
Tre'quan Smith (Extremely unlikely for trade but has 1 yr left) $2,387,256 cap hit

Knowing Gute and his tendency to prefer bigger WRs he will probably be looking at Gallup, Chark, Harry and Boykin.

Looking at that list of names it feels like the trade market has options which might be of better quality and value than what the current FA market is offering.

Edited by Chili

17 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm looking into the idea the Packers might be targeting a trade for a WR. It got me thinking about who could be realistic candidates for a trade.

Two names immediately comes to mind: Michael Gallup ($2,665,495) and DJ Chark ($2,511,588) - both with 1 year left on their deals. Chark is interesting because he has a new HC and he brought in three WRs in free agency, maybe there's something there to explore.

Who else is there? Are there any teams who are unhappy with their WRs or has a brand new coaching regime?

Miles Boykin (Underwhelmed - 2 years left on contract) $1,064,232 and $1,179,232 cap hit
N'Keal Harry (Underwhelmed - 2 years left plus 5th yr option) $2,754,095 and $3,213,110 cap hit
Dante Pettis (If they sign Golladay will be pushed down the pecking order - 1 yr left) $1,352,803 cap hit
James Washington (Will be 4th choice if JuJu comes back - 1 year left) $1,432,248 cap hit
J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (Underwhelmed & new head coach - 2 years left) $1,348,017 and $1,572,687 cap hit
Tre'quan Smith (Extremely unlikely for trade but has 1 yr left) $2,387,256 cap hit

Knowing Gute and his tendency to prefer bigger WRs he will probably be looking at Gallup, Chark, Harry and Boykin.

Looking at that list of names it feels like the trade market has options which might be of better quality and value than what the current FA market is offering.

I bet BB would let Harry go for a 5th-6th rounder. Kids a stud too. Give me him over the other dudes.

12 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I heard there is talk about a trade for him with the Pats sending Gillmore the other way

I read about that too. If it is true I think Dallas may have to give up some significant draft picks to balance out the trade.

However we would provide a much cheaper option by dangling Josh Jackson instead. The Packers drafted him when McCarthy was here so there's that familiarity which might help.

The difference between Gallup and Jackson cap hits is just $700k so we would only have to throw in a 7th round pick to make it work.

Perhaps McCarthy likes Oren Burks instead.

Edited by Chili

19 minutes ago, Chili said:

Just curious, what do any of those receivers give you that you don't already have in this offense? Or that you wouldn't get with a mid round draft pick? 

11 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Just curious, what do any of those receivers give you that you don't already have in this offense? Or that you wouldn't get with a mid round draft pick? 

Well for one it allows us to have an NFL ready receiver opposite Adams for at least 1 year whilst we develop our new draft pick.

Whether they are better than Lazard or MVS....I don't know but the fact is Gute has been roaming around the trade market for a long time so the WR#2 is clearly an issue in his mind.

But there's a more pressing issue, ALL of the WRs contracts are expiring next year and he is not going to be able to keep them all so he's going to need to make some moves in FA/Trade/Draft now to stock up on depth for the next 3-4 years.

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

What makes you think that?

I thought the current theory was that the Packers FO wanted to retain the flexibility to cut Rodgers after next season, and Rodgers wants a deal that keeps him a Packer for life.

Nothing concrete, but it does take 2 to make the deal.  

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Well for one it allows us to have an NFL ready receiver opposite Adams for at least 1 year whilst we develop our new draft pick.

Whether they are better than Lazard or MVS....I don't know but the fact is Gute has been roaming around the trade market for a long time so the WR#2 is clearly an issue in his mind.

But there's a more pressing issue, ALL of the WRs contracts are expiring next year and he is not going to be able to keep them all so he's going to need to make some moves in FA/Trade/Draft now to stock up on depth for the next 3-4 years.

Good point. I just if it's me, WR is the area I'm trying to save the most money on. Extend Adams, and use that free agency budget to either sign a defensive guy or extend MVS/Lazard on the cheap

43 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

It's from the same guy who got 2 other WR rumours wrong, so for now I wouldn't count on it

The problem with FA is that teams have interest in multiple players in the same position and players have multiple teams interested in them.

So for example Washington or Green Bay may have been very interested in Golladay, Fuller and Samuels.

Or a player like Samuels had teams like Washington, Green Bay, Miami, Jacksonville etc.. all interested in him.

In both cases the Tweeter would be "telling the truth" even though its quite broad and vague, making it appear that the tweeter is covering all of his bases.

With the constant flux of free agency a player may have been very close to signing for one team and that info was communicated to the Tweeter then within a matter of minutes another team jumps in and gazump the offer and the player signs with that team instead. The consequence of this is that it makes the tweeter "look wrong" and so his credibility is damaged.

If the tweeter is genuine i'm not going to knock him for any wrong predictions due to the nature of free agency.

If he's fake then at least he provided some light entertainment.

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

They really wouldn't have to do much though depending on whether they intend to also make other moves. Right now, we're about $3.5m under. Say the reports are correct and Adams is extended within the next few weeks, that's about $9m in cap relief there. Now we're at $12.5m. 

Then say they make the smallest move possible with Rodgers which would be a simple restructure of his roster bonus (which they'd have to do by today). His bonus is $6.8m so spread that out over the last 3 years of his deal = savings for 2021 of $4.5m. Now our cap is at $17m. 

Figure you need about $3m for the draft and another $5m to carry throughout the season. That drops you back down to $9m. 

What can we do with $9m? Well you could easily sign a bigger name CB like Fuller as long as it's a 3-4 year deal so you can backload it. Figure a $4-5m cap hit for Fuller for 2021. Still leaves you room, if you want, to probably resign Lewis and add a cheap OL or DL. 

Again, this all with just making the "smallest" move with 12's contract, which doesn't really impact the next two years other than simply adding about $2m more in dead cap if we move him. Small potatoes. 

Nice write up. The Packers traditionally like to roll over $10m of cap space each year and in your example that might be possible. That money will certainly help us re-sign Adams, Alexander and possibly Tonyan.

Just a thought, nothing else.

MVS.  That's why we aren't going all aggressive on the wide receivers.  We know what we have there.  Great potential that is starting to be realized.  I feel like he's a prime candidate to get a "surprise" contract extension ala Lowry.

We all like the "splash" free agents.  And nice shiny things.  But this organization prefers to reward their own guys.  MVS is our guy.

Let's draft a WR or two, extend MVS and have stability past this year at that position room.

Get under the cap and be able to operate by extending 'Vante.  Deal with Rodgers next year after he has another superior year of play and there is a better forecast for the cap.

• Like 4