the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

Now we reached the point where the FA WR market did not fall our way. Fuller, Samuels, JuJu and almost certainly Golladay all out of reach. Disappointing but not completely unexpected

What now? I can't see any other FA WR that represents an improvement over what we've got.

I think it's time to keep our eyes peeled on the trade market. Gallup has been linked to New England, Chark has been linked to Baltimore.  We had trade discussions for Gallup last year but it didn't work out.

Maybe Gute will finally get a trade over the line this time.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

being the pseudo #1 in PITT vs the 3rd option behind Hill, Kelce in KC.  

Volume targets probably play into that.  Familiar setting and relationship with QB factor in as well.  

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Because if KC wasn’t giving him the deal he wanted why take it? Likely KC was offering more, sure, but over more term.

JuJu is likely looking to get paid. So take a 1 year deal from a team you know everything about and they know you... and be the number one target or second.

Or go to KC for 1 year... have to learn a new system, new QB, new everything and get at best number 3 targets behind hill and kelce. that’s not going to help increase his value for when money isn’t so tight for teams.

I could honestly see him putting up better stats as the 3rd option in KC vs Pitt. Big ben looks cooked.

47 minutes ago, Chili said:

And there it is...

Pittsburgh have ever so slightly more cap space than we do so he must've signed a really really cheap deal.

Thats interesting. My informed perspective from a distance was that JJSS wasnt that happy a camper in PIT. To turn down more money go back there.....clearly that wasnt the case.

Be interested to know the organizations that were after him.

Edited by Leader

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I think JJSS makes a lot of sense for us this offseason. There are ways to structure the deal considering GB is currently spending $0 on WRs in 2022 and beyond. He's only 24, I suspect he is very interested in playing in GB as well. I'm going to go ahead and make an official incog comeback prediction that we ink JJSS.

Nailed it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Chiefs aren't playing around. They just went to back-to-back SBs and in response, they signed the top interior OL in FA (also got Kyle Long for a ham sandwich) and are going after even more weapons on offense. 

Well there they are. Interesting. They aren't dog operations - but he turned them down for less cash.
He even turned down catching passed from Patrick. Interesting. Lamaar....I could see the reticence for a WR to go there.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Be interested to know the organizations that were after him.

Sounds like it was Baltimore, Kansas and Eagles. I think the Jets may have been in the conversation too.

No mention of the Packers at all.

Edited by Chili

Just now, Chili said:

Sounds like it was Baltimore, Kansas and Eagles. I think the Jets may have been in the conversation.

No mention of the Packers at all.

No clue why, but I dont think he'd want to play in Green Bay. Nothing more than a hunch.

Just now, Leader said:

No clue why, but I dont think he'd want to play in Green Bay. Nothing more than a hunch.

I've read reports that he wanted to join a big market team. I don't think GB was even a consideration for him and the Packers knew this.

Edited by Chili

Just now, incognito_man said:

Looks like he was pretty terrible last year. Not sure his is the body type/play style that ages well, either.

He was hurt pretty much all last season. The year before in 2019 he declined from his dominant self, but still finished with 4.5 sacks. 

13 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I could honestly see him putting up better stats as the 3rd option in KC vs Pitt. Big ben looks cooked.

Not if he is the 3rd target in the red zone everyday drive of every game.

Hill and Kelce is like having 2 Davante Adams... they suck up all the meaningful targets.

And again it’s a new offense for him. If they are still doing distance learning with little practice because of covid... you have to question how much is that situation is setup for him to do well if we are talking 1 year deals.

JuJu likely thought, like most probably, I won’t be affected by the cap crunch league wide... I’m too good. And then reality set in. I’m sure teams gave him multi year deals but the avg a year and guarantees were likely not what he wanted. Now it was probably more “massive” then what he took but I’m sure if we saw those deals they likely avg 8 mil per (which is what he got).

so he likely is going to do what most are and bet on himself and took a one year deal... his best chance to maximize his production etc would be in Pitt and no where else.

Edited by Green19