the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

The Texans' new GM Nick Caserio is apparently attempting the World Record in new acquisitions. In his 72 days at the job, he has signed or traded for 29 players. 👀

That's a rate of .4 acquisitions per day, which is in the ballpark of TT's UFA acquisitions per YEAR :D 

And his QB is both trying to get outta town, and is simultaneously attempting a record in pace of getting into most cases of legal trouble. 

Now THAT's an offseason!

4 hours ago, St Vince said:

Something has to be up. Either Rodgers wouldn't accept a restructure and just want's to play out his contract and move on or it's Love or bust for Gute. I can't believe they're just sitting around doing nothing while everyone else is getting better. This is very frustrating. For the last two days I've been checking my phone at work for news and crickets.

The Packers did do deals before the offseason to lock up the top LT and a top NT plus they secured one of the top (the top?) RB.

Yes, it's exciting to see outside signings, but, especially with their current situation, there's no reason to rush/force anything. Or panic just because of ALL TEH MOVES other teams are doing.

The top two NFC teams have basically done nothing besides hold on to their guys. The Chiefs have "upgraded" (sidegraded?) the interior of their OL and are in potential trouble at tackle.

I'd wager the Packers and Bucs will stand atop the NFC (if healthy) and the Packers could still sign someone if they want. They've been pretty good at plugging leaks over the years, so just because we hear nothing doesn't mean they aren't working to upgrade the team.

10 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Restructures are done without consulting players nowadays. We are just getting ready for Love 2022 (which I'm fine with to be honest). It makes sense as we are going to be really tight with the cap for the next two years.

Looks like it ...

If that is the plan though this is probably our last chance for a while. I would rather try and kick more cap down the road to see what we can do this year. 2022 is almost certainly a write off anyway.

18 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

i remember Ted never made moves during the weekend. do we know for certain that gute also takes weekends off? 

Julius Peppers signing broke on Saturday morning in 2014

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1989971-julius-peppers-and-packers-agree-on-3-year-contract-latest-details-and-analysis.amp.html

• Like 1

I suspect conversations / negotiations continue regardless of the day. When the deals go public or become official - thats probably a different matter as I suspect the league offices are closed during the weekend. Dont know that...but sounds like its probably the case.

Is there a Julius Peppers type player out there on the FA market?

I'm not talking about position but someone who is old but is still in fantastic condition and still playing at an extremely high level?

I've been going through the list and short of Patrick Peterson who I banged on the table for earlier in the week and Trent Williams, both are no longer available. However there is one name that popped up:

Ndamukong Suh - it would be a very Peppers-like move from Gute if we sign him. Not sure Rodgers would approve though! 😄

If you go to the next category down and move away from players who are on a hall of fame trajectory you can still potentially find solid guys in the mold of Andrew Whitworth who everyone thought was done 4 years ago and was able to find a second wind in his career with the Rams. I found some players who I think potentially fits that criteria.

Alejandro Villanueva - He started his NFL career late so he doesn't have much wear on his tyres so it is entirely plausible he can continue to play at a high level for another 4-5 years. He has been extremely durable too. The Steelers had to make cap moves to bring JuJu back and they would have to do so again to bring Villanueva back which I feel is unlikely. If we need someone to step in for Bakhtiari and then eventually move to right tackle, maybe we can look at him.

Everson Griffin and Justin Houston- has been very durable in their long careers. Still productive and I wonder if they can play inside instead of EDGE?

Carlos Dunlap - in similar boat as above. He is an even better option for us on the DL.

Aldon Smith - he's an interesting case. Doesn't have much wear on his tyres because of his suspensions. Still only 31 and a good fit for the DL. He was a highly productive EDGE at the beginning of his career but I think he is alot heavier now and might be best suited for a move inside.

As for skill position players its even rarer to find one who might still be productive. Candidates include Kareem Jackson, Antonio Brown, Ty Hilton, Casey Hayward, Dre Kirkpatrick.

Edited by Chili

On 3/19/2021 at 4:04 AM, TransientTexan said:

Yea, what a colossal waste of the Bears’ window. They had a really solid team set up in 2018. Change one tiny decision in 2017 with their whiff on QB and they probably look like geniuses right now with Mahomes or Watson leading a perennial contender. But that whiff is looking like less and less of a fluke now. They keep stacking up the QB misses with Glennon, Foles, and finally Dalton. 

Their FO knew their last shot was to pull off the Hail Mary trade for Wilson. Now they’ll have to hope for a rookie-QB miracle or be out of a job. 

Chicago's ill-fated decision to draft Trubisky is one of the better "what if" sports scenarios in recent years.  The alternatives are not at all far-fetched.  CHI simply made a huge mistake.  It must drives Bears fans nuts.  GB made a similar mistake back in the day selecting Mandrich, but the CHI mistake with Trub has to be even worse.  The NFL landscape would be much different today if CHI gets that pick right and takes Watson or Mahommes.  The Foles and Dalton signings show pretty clearly that they still haven't recovered. The fact that Pace still has the GM job in CHI is pretty amazing.  WR Robinson is tagged while CB Fuller is released and DT Hicks seeks a trade?  That team is in free fall.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chili said:

Is there a Julius Peppers type player out there on the FA market?

I'm not talking about position but someone who is old but is still in fantastic condition and still playing at an extremely high level?

I've been going through the list and short of Patrick Peterson who I banged on the table for earlier in the week and Trent Williams, both are no longer available. However there is one name that popped up:

Ndamukong Suh - it would be a very Peppers-like move from Gute if we sign him. Not sure Rodgers would approve though! 😄

If you go to the next category down and move away from players who are on a hall of fame trajectory you can still potentially find solid guys in the mold of Andrew Whitworth who everyone thought was done 4 years ago and was able to find a second wind in his career with the Rams. I found some players who I think potentially fits that criteria.

Alejandro Villanueva - He started his NFL career late so he doesn't have much wear on his tyres so it is entirely plausible he can continue to play at a high level for another 4-5 years. He has been extremely durable too. The Steelers had to make cap moves to bring JuJu back and they would have to do so again to bring Villanueva back which I feel is unlikely. If we need a right tackle, maybe we can look at him.

Everson Griffin and Justin Houston- has been very durable in their long careers. Still productive and I wonder if they can play inside instead of EDGE?

Carlos Dunlap - in similar boat as above. He is an even better option for us on the DL.

Aldon Smith - he's an interesting case. Doesn't have much wear on his tyres because of his suspensions. Still only 31 and a good fit for the DL. He was a highly productive EDGE at the beginning of his career but I think he is alot heavier now and might be best suited for a move inside.

As for skill position players its even rarer to find one who might still be productive. Candidates include Kareem Jackson, Antonio Brown, Ty Hilton, Casey Hayward, Dre Kirkpatrick.

I'd say Richard Sherman is probably the most Peppers like FA. HOF career, probably 2 years left to squeeze out of it and make a SB run.