the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

7 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Was Jackson THAT bad last season? Or even for his career?

I honestly don't know. Did you know that he has started 15 games? I didn't know that.  

IMO, he is more unremarkable than bad.  I don't have memories of burnt toast Josh Jackson, like I do with Micah Hyde or Ladarius Gunter.  I also don't have any memories of an outstanding play from Jackson either.  He is just kind of there.  Or perhaps I have just blocked it from my memory?

I don't have anything against Jackson, I wish the guy was good, hell we spent a 2nd on him. But it was reletively obvious the team had no confidence in him down the stretch last season. 

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Was Jackson THAT bad last season? Or even for his career?

I honestly don't know. Did you know that he has started 15 games? I didn't know that.  

IMO, he is more unremarkable than bad.  I don't have memories of burnt toast Josh Jackson, like I do with Micah Hyde or Ladarius Gunter.  I also don't have any memories of an outstanding play from Jackson either.  He is just kind of there.  Or perhaps I have just blocked it from my memory?

3 years of passer rating against over 100.

Limited snaps in 2019.

Pass Coverage Pass Rush Tackles
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Tgt Cmp Cmp% Yds Yds/Cmp Yds/Tgt TD Rat DADOT Air YAC Bltz Hrry QBKD Sk Prss Comb MTkl MTkl%
2018 22 GNB rcb 37 16 10 0 64 40 62.5% 557 13.9 8.7 3 106.1 9.6 326 231 19 2 0 0.0 2 49 11 18.3%
2019 23 GNB   37 14 0 0 7 6 85.7% 63 10.5 9.0 1 143.7 7.4 52 11 0 0 0 0.0 0 11 1 8.3%
2020 24 GNB rcb 37 12 5 0 31 23 74.2% 285 12.4 9.2 1 113.0 9.3 142 143 0 0
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

3 years of passer rating against over 100.

Limited snaps in 2019.

Pass Coverage Pass Rush Tackles
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Tgt Cmp Cmp% Yds Yds/Cmp Yds/Tgt TD Rat DADOT Air YAC Bltz Hrry QBKD Sk Prss Comb MTkl MTkl%
2018 22 GNB rcb 37 16 10 0 64 40 62.5% 557 13.9 8.7 3 106.1 9.6 326 231 19 2 0 0.0 2 49 11 18.3%
2019 23 GNB   37 14 0 0 7 6 85.7% 63 10.5 9.0 1 143.7 7.4 52 11 0 0 0 0.0 0 11 1 8.3%
2020 24 GNB rcb 37 12 5 0 31 23 74.2% 285 12.4 9.2 1 113.0 9.3 142 143 0 0

That was the info I couldn't find. 

26 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Was Jackson THAT bad last season? ... I honestly don't know ... I don't have memories of burnt toast Josh Jackson ... I also don't have any memories of an outstanding play from Jackson either ...  Or perhaps I have just blocked it from my memory?

Ginkgo biloba  👍

The only "unknown" variable with Jackson (IMO) is the new DC.

Clearly the former DC was done with him. Had cast him aside. Our only determination is to decide if that DCs schemes led or caused Jackson's woes and whether the new guy has a scheme (or idea) how to rehabilitate and use him.  Only the new DC can know for sure....but personally, I'm skeptical.

It would be a bummer to have a #2 fall flat on his face - but its not like he came into the NFL a finished product.  Its up to us to determine if he's *still* a work in progress - if there's still some untapped upside - or if he is in fact done and can come out of the oven.

I lean towards "I think I heard the oven buzzer going off" ...  but will remain hopeful. Its not like we dont need help at the position - and #39 does not impress me.

Edited by Leader

IIRC Jackson was drafted as a project. I think he was a WR until his senior year in college. That said, I don't see him as an edge corner. I see him as a slot guy, or even a safety. Obviously, 2021 will be his last chance to grab the brass ring. If he fails to find a role in the defense, he will not be resigned. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

IIRC Jackson was drafted as a project. I think he was a WR until his senior year in college. That said, I don't see him as an edge corner. I see him as a slot guy, or even a safety. Obviously, 2021 will be his last chance to grab the brass ring. If he fails to find a role in the defense, he will not be resigned. 

According to his U of Iowa bio, he played DB, mostly corner, all 4 years:

Link

My Free Agent Shortlist:

DE Aldon Smith
DE Justin Houston
DE Everson Griffen
DE DeMarcus Walker
DE Tanoh Kpassagnon

OLB Jadeveon Clowney
OLB Ryan Kerrigan

LB Curtis Bolton

CB Casey Hayward
CB Gareon Conley
CB Artie Burns
CB Cre'von LeBlanc

SS Raven Greene
SS Karl Joseph
FS Malik Hooker
FS Tashaun Gipson
FS Will Redmond

OT Alejandro Villanueva

FB John Lovett

WR Antonio Brown
WR Dede Westbrook

TE Darren Fells

Returners:
RB Tyler Ervin
RB Cordarrelle Patterson

Edited by Chili

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We're playing Fangio's defense. That was the whole point of bringing in Barry.

Yep but Joe Barry isn't Vic Fangio. Maybe Joe does a good impression. Tough to top familiarity with a specific person and an apparent desire to go back to playing for them. Fuller signed with Denver just about as quickly as possible. He is apparently convinced that playing for Vic Fangio is the secret potion to making a ton of money in the future.

38 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Yep but Joe Barry isn't Vic Fangio. Maybe Joe does a good impression. Tough to top familiarity with a specific person and an apparent desire to go back to playing for them. Fuller signed with Denver just about as quickly as possible. He is apparently convinced that playing for Vic Fangio is the secret potion to making a ton of money in the future.

It makes sense with that single year deal.  The fastest way to fit into a scheme, and give your best look, is to get back together with your old coach. He’s young enough to get another solid deal once the cap takes the leap after this recession year.

I’m surprised WR aren’t lining up to get a one year deal here. Funchess could have played a lot of snaps for us last year and likely raised his stock but is looking pretty smart/lucky to not go into free agency this year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Jackson was apparently so bad the team didn't even activate him down the stretch, including the playoffs. In fact, they signed a nearly 40-year old Tramon Williams to take his place on the roster. 

You and I disagree mainly because you still see some utility in Jackson, perhaps as a backup. I don't, and the Packers seemingly felt that way down the stretch last year.

I don't want a bunch of UDFAs at CB, but is Jackson even at that level right now when he can't make the gameday roster?

Well if we cut Jackson, the savings don't buy you another CB so it just leaves you another man short.

Ultimately the coaching staff will have their views on whether they think he is good enough to be depth. Its the final year of his deal so if he sticks around Packers obviously think he's good enough.

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

It makes sense with that single year deal.  The fastest way to fit into a scheme, and give your best look, is to get back together with your old coach. He’s young enough to get another solid deal once the cap takes the leap after this recession year.

I’m surprised WR aren’t lining up to get a one year deal here. Funchess could have played a lot of snaps for us last year and likely raised his stock but is looking pretty smart/lucky to not go into free agency this year. 

Maybe they are but we are waving them away.  We are OK for receivers this year so the absolute last thing we are probably looking to do is spend money we don't have on a receiver for one year.

We have no receivers under contract in 22 and our one star at the position is getting old.  I would definitely be interesting in going WR in the draft to set up for the future but we shouldn't be considering 1 year deals on a WR.

4 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Well if we cut Jackson, the savings don't buy you another CB so it just leaves you another man short.

Ultimately the coaching staff will have their views on whether they think he is good enough to be depth. Its the final year of his deal so if he sticks around Packers obviously think he's good enough.

I still really feel like they are ignoring the obvious with him. He’s physical, not super fast but seems to have decent awareness and plays best with his eyes on the QB.  Sounds like a safety to me. 

• Like 1