the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

Just now, mikemike778 said:

Maybe they are but we are waving them away.  We are OK for receivers this year so the absolute last thing we are probably looking to do is spend money we don't have on a receiver for one year.

We have no receivers under contract in 22 and our one star at the position is getting old.  I would definitely be interesting in going WR in the draft to set up for the future but we shouldn't be considering 1 year deals on a WR.

We still need a long term plan, to be sure. If a talented player with the right fit wanted a one year mercenary contract, it would still be tempting if the price tag was low. I’m definitely watching what they do with Adams and to see the young talent that comes in, we are going to have to build up the line of succession. 

2 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I still really feel like they are ignoring the obvious with him. He’s physical, not super fast but seems to have decent awareness and plays best with his eyes on the QB.  Sounds like a safety to me. 

Seems a bit late for that now.  You lose most of what he has been coached up to play CB over the last three years. How long does it take to transition properly - there's only a year left on his deal so unless you think you could have him ready to play safety week 1 then there's probably not much point now.

Maybe if you've given up on him as a corner but in that case maybe better letting him go.

2 minutes ago, Refugee said:

We still need a long term plan, to be sure. If a talented player with the right fit wanted a one year mercenary contract, it would still be tempting if the price tag was low. I’m definitely watching what they do with Adams and to see the young talent that comes in, we are going to have to build up the line of succession. 

I don't think so unless if by low you are talking veteran minimum.  Unless you spend something meaningful are you getting anyone better than MVS, Lazard and Funchess ?  

No idea what we are going to do next year at the position.  Not even that happy extending Adams, just seems like he is going to pick up more and more little injuries. We probably have to extend if only to fiddle the cap this year but its a contract that could look bad in a few years.

WR in the draft is interesting - on one hand its bottom of the list of priorities as we don't have any immediate need but on the other hand it should be top of the priorities for future need. Say it every year but would love if someone was there and we took them in second round but we also need OT, DL and CB in the first two days and four into three doesn't fit.

I'm not rushing to sign anyone but Adams. That's the sad thing. Yeah, they block. Yeah they have heart. But they are WR's and none of those guys jump out when it comes to getting open and catching the ball.  What would the numbers look like on a 2nd contract for those guys ? I have no clue. Anything over the vet minimum seems like it would be an over pay. Maybe I'm spoiled

Edited by cannondale

10 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I'm not rushing to sign anyone but Adams. That's the sad thing. Yeah, they block. Yeah they have heart. But they are WR's and none of those guys jump out when it comes to getting open and catching the ball.  What would the numbers look like on a 2nd contract for those guys ? I have no clue

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

the really depressing thing is that for 2022, with a current projected salary cap of $203M, GB has 29 players signed and $202M in committed salaries.  That is without

Davante Adams being under contract
Jaire Alexander being under contract
no rookie picks factoring into that (around $8-10M for the rookie class of 2021)

Seems like GB is in a transition period and is having a hard time deciding on making 1 last run and a deep playoff push or a full reset and moving on from Rodgers,  Preston, Z Smith, etc.

Edited by squire12
added over the cap link

2015 - Bust

2016 - Kenny Clark (Dean Lowry)

2017 - Aaron Jones (Kevin King)

2018 - Jaire (Jackson, JK Scott, MVS, ESB)

2019 - Gary, Savage, Jenkins (Sternberger, Keke, Hollman)

2020 - Future QB, Duplicate RB, HBack, ILB, G, G, C, S, Edge

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

the really depressing thing is that for 2022, with a current projected salary cap of $203M, GB has 29 players signed and $202M in committed salaries.  That is without

Davante Adams being under contract
Jaire Alexander being under contract
no rookie picks factoring into that (around $8-10M for the rookie class of 2021)

Seems like GB is in a transition period and is having a hard time deciding on making 1 last run and a deep playoff push or a full reset and moving on from Rodgers,  Preston, Z Smith, etc.

1. Jaire will be in year 5 and will have a $13m cap hit. Extend him and that number goes down

2. Z.Smith will be at $27m agianst the cap, he will be extended and that figure will be lowered

3a. Kenny Clark and Bhak have a combined roster bonus due of almost $17m in 2022, convert that into a signing bonus and you gain cap

3b. Both the aformentioned player salries for 2022 are $11.2m, convert that to signing bonus as another option

4. You gain $12m in cap by cutting Preston Smith

5. Dean Lowry, has a cap hit of $7.3m, if he hasn't already been cut he will be next year as the dead cap on that deal is only $1.5m

6. Mason Crosby will account for $4.4m, will he still be a good kicker after next year? To cut him would cost a million, if he still playing well you would extend him

7. Amos and Billy are good candidates for extensions if you wanted to bring down the cap still

If we go beyond and look at the cap for '23 season and see what shape we are in. The cap is going to go up to about $220 . So we can push cap hits to that year and beyond quite comfortably. For '23 at the moment we have only $108m allocated to cap spend. We can have even more cap if Rodgers is traded that year. Also we aint paying Aaron Jones $19.5m that year either. That space will decrease because hopefully we'll have Z.Smith and Adams under contract at aroudn $20m+ per season. So even if we push Bhak and Kenny's cash into '23 and beyond we'll still have plenty of space for the forseaable future. 

Green Bay does an amazing job of retaing its best talent. It allows for growth within the organisation. It means we aren't always big players come free agency but that doesn't really matter. Fans love free agency more really because the excitment and buzz but we all well know that doesn't always translate.

Keeping core players together is crucical. Look at the Rams, they are the only other team that hasn't signed anyone apart from the Packers but look at the hits they have taken, so far they have lost 8 out of their 11 free agents, and some real good players gone. Only real player we lost so far has been Corey and that is not a heart breaker.  

My hope is that for 2022 we can retain Tonyan, MVS and Chandon Sullivan. They should all be doable. I don't see us in a rebuild/transition phase after this season. It is such a shame the cap went down as Gute had us in a position to sign our own and sign a few more. I doubt we do much now unless we can extend Adams. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Yep but Joe Barry isn't Vic Fangio. Maybe Joe does a good impression. Tough to top familiarity with a specific person and an apparent desire to go back to playing for them. Fuller signed with Denver just about as quickly as possible. He is apparently convinced that playing for Vic Fangio is the secret potion to making a ton of money in the future.

Well he can enjoy Drew Lock and being the cellar dweller of the AFCW. Might be the last we hear of Kyle Fuller.

I'm going to tell myself we offered him a similar contract and he's just dumb, cause that was the move we needed to push the chips in a pass the Bucs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

1. Jaire will be in year 5 and will have a $13m cap hit. Extend him and that number goes down

Correct, but it still counts as something where currently, there is a 0.  So net addition of some cap

2. Z.Smith will be at $27m agianst the cap, he will be extended and that figure will be lowered

Extension could gain $13M, figure in some additional signing bonus in the extension, probably saving $8-10M

3a. Kenny Clark and Bhak have a combined roster bonus due of almost $17m in 2022, convert that into a signing bonus and you gain cap

Bahktiari saves around $8M 

Clark saves around $9-10M

3b. Both the aformentioned player salries for 2022 are $11.2m, convert that to signing bonus as another option

4. You gain $12m in cap by cutting Preston Smith

5. Dean Lowry, has a cap hit of $7.3m, if he hasn't already been cut he will be next year as the dead cap on that deal is only $1.5m

6. Mason Crosby will account for $4.4m, will he still be a good kicker after next year? To cut him would cost a million, if he still playing well you would extend him

7. Amos and Billy are good candidates for extensions if you wanted to bring down the cap still

If we go beyond and look at the cap for '23 season and see what shape we are in. The cap is going to go up to about $220 . So we can push cap hits to that year and beyond quite comfortably. For '23 at the moment we have only $108m allocated to cap spend. We can have even more cap if Rodgers is traded that year. Also we aint paying Aaron Jones $19.5m that year either. That space will decrease because hopefully we'll have Z.Smith and Adams under contract at aroudn $20m+ per season. So even if we push Bhak and Kenny's cash into '23 and beyond we'll still have plenty of space for the forseaable future.

sure, you can push money into 2023.   with what you have proposed in the above, you have done that a fair amount already

Green Bay does an amazing job of retaing its best talent. It allows for growth within the organisation. It means we aren't always big players come free agency but that doesn't really matter. Fans love free agency more really because the excitment and buzz but we all well know that doesn't always translate.

Keeping core players together is crucical. Look at the Rams, they are the only other team that hasn't signed anyone apart from the Packers but look at the hits they have taken, so far they have lost 8 out of their 11 free agents, and some real good players gone. Only real player we lost so far has been Corey and that is not a heart breaker.  

My hope is that for 2022 we can retain Tonyan, MVS and Chandon Sullivan. They should all be doable. I don't see us in a rebuild/transition phase after this season. It is such a shame the cap went down as Gute had us in a position to sign our own and sign a few more. I doubt we do much now unless we can extend Adams. 

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

Correct, but it still counts as something where currently, there is a 0.  So net addition of some cap

Extension could gain $13M, figure in some additional signing bonus in the extension, probably saving $8-10M

Bahktiari saves around $8M 

Clark saves around $9-10M

sure, you can push money into 2023.   with what you have proposed in the above, you have done that a fair amount already

So we get $12m for Preston, $6m for Lowry, $16m we can easily get for Bahk and Clark converting salaries to signing bonus and another $10m approx for a Zee extension. Which equals $44m in space and there is more we could do if we wanted it.

Offset that against:

New deal for Jaire, year 1 hit should be low around $5m
Davantae deal, depends when we do that. If we do it this year next year probably has around a $20m hit.
Tonyan deal and an MVS deal. Probably a Chandon deal too. These can be year 1 low cap hits.

So in conclusion we have retained our core players. Which is the name of the game. We'll have cash to sign rookies and there is enough left to go around for some FA's.

So I don't see how 2022 will be a transition period.

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

So we get $12m for Preston, $6m for Lowry, $16m we can easily get for Bahk and Clark converting salaries to signing bonus and another $10m approx for a Zee extension. Which equals $44m in space and there is more we could do if we wanted it.

Offset that against:

New deal for Jaire, year 1 hit should be low around $5m
Davantae deal, depends when we do that. If we do it this year next year probably has around a $20m hit.
Tonyan deal and an MVS deal. Probably a Chandon deal too. These can be year 1 low cap hits.

So in conclusion we have retained our core players. Which is the name of the game. We'll have cash to sign rookies and there is enough left to go around for some FA's.

So I don't see how 2022 will be a transition period.

You are wanting something in 2022 that GB is not doing in 2021. 

Leopard doesn't change its spots.

25 minutes ago, squire12 said:

You are wanting something in 2022 that GB is not doing in 2021. 

Leopard doesn't change its spots.

How so? They converted Bakh salary to a signing bonus, I think they did something to Kenny's deal as well (not sure) they reworked Preston's deal. They added voidable years to Billy's contract to lower his cap hit. They went all out to keep their core in house players in Green Bay. Not sure what they haven't done this year that they won't do next year??? 

Unless we give an extension to Adams or a restructure of Rodgers, we are done this off-season. Not sure if they have the framework done and just are waiting for a FA to agree to terms before pulling the trigger, or if we're just done. 

Either way, now the only team in the NFL yet to make a move. Good news is Tampa hasn't signed anyone noteworthy, neither has most of the NFC contenders.