the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

36 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

How so? They converted Bakh salary to a signing bonus, I think they did something to Kenny's deal as well (not sure) they reworked Preston's deal. They added voidable years to Billy's contract to lower his cap hit. They went all out to keep their core in house players in Green Bay. Not sure what they haven't done this year that they won't do next year??? 

GB did those things to become cap compliant. 

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Unless we give an extension to Adams or a restructure of Rodgers, we are done this off-season. Not sure if they have the framework done and just are waiting for a FA to agree to terms before pulling the trigger, or if we're just done. 

Either way, now the only team in the NFL yet to make a move. Good news is Tampa hasn't signed anyone noteworthy, neither has most of the NFC contenders. 

Disheartening if true. Heading into the draft with Top Pick at #29 and having a legit need at OT, a desperate need at CB, and a dumpster fire at DL is not efforting a Super Bowl

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB did those things to become cap compliant. 

And your initial point was we are a team in tansition because we have zero cap to do anything with in 2022. They can and most likely will use those same strategies they did this year to be cap compliant to sign their own players and extend those players they want and cut those that are not worth it and be under the cap again. Nothing new here. 

Unless of course you think they are going to pay Preston Smith $19.75m in 2022 and they are going to pay Dean Lowry $7.3m and they are going to pay Zee $27.8m without redoing his deal...??? Or that they will simply hang on to cap commitments with Bakh and Kenny so they can see MVS and Tonyan walk away for nothing. If you think all of this is going to happen then we are a team in transition but I do believe Gutey and Ball are well aware of all of this, as well as the cap booming up and don't see us as a team in transition. 

Yep, count me in the group of people who now thinks things are getting suspicious with the lack of news on a Rodgers restructure.

It’s almost like they’re planning on letting his cap hit wreck the team so they have an excuse to move on after this year.

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The guy is the reigning MVP, coming off one of the most impressive years in QB history -- and we're talking about getting rid of him next year. L.M.A.O.

Only the Packers man...

•  

I mean, yeah. We did the exact same thing with Favre. Gute when all-in already by re-signing Bakhtiari, Clark and Jones. And when he signed those FAs in 2019. We have no cap nor this year nor next year to make any significant moves. Nothing above 3M/year will be done. It would take Simone Biles-level of gymnastics to be able to navigate under the cap by keeping Rodgers in 2022 if we want to have Adams and Alexander in our team. We simply do not have the space to do it.

Restructuring Rodgers' deal is what we'll do if we are not able to extend Adams/Z and we need to sign our draft picks. Only by restructuring him we do not get to do anything more than signing two guys por a couple million in the FA.

Edited by VonKarman

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The guy is the reigning MVP, coming off one of the most impressive years in QB history -- and we're talking about getting rid of him next year. L.M.A.O.

Only the Packers man...

•  

It is completely ridiculous.  The Packers seem organizationally paralyzed over this Rodgers/Love thing.  The focus should be on winning titles and it's not. 

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

Only the Packers man...

•  

Proooooobably because this is exactly what the Packers did once already.

Brett Favre - three underperforming years in a row.
2007 - Has his best season in 11 years (literally his best season in 11 years as far as interceptions, yards per attempt, and his third most yards in his career).

We didn't even wait another season.  He didn't have another year with us.

Saying it's unrealistic is unrealistic. 

I'm not saying I want it, I'm saying it's what it looks like. 

41 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

And your initial point was we are a team in tansition because we have zero cap to do anything with in 2022. They can and most likely will use those same strategies they did this year to be cap compliant to sign their own players and extend those players they want and cut those that are not worth it and be under the cap again. Nothing new here. 

Unless of course you think they are going to pay Preston Smith $19.75m in 2022 and they are going to pay Dean Lowry $7.3m and they are going to pay Zee $27.8m without redoing his deal...??? Or that they will simply hang on to cap commitments with Bakh and Kenny so they can see MVS and Tonyan walk away for nothing. If you think all of this is going to happen then we are a team in transition but I do believe Gutey and Ball are well aware of all of this, as well as the cap booming up and don't see us as a team in transition. 

So why no move on Rodgers yet?

Could easily keep the core together and add pieces. 

No I don't think GB will keep those players at those cap hits.  So moving on from 3rd EDGE, 2nd DL and like a spot to fill on the OL.  

It feels like it is setting up for a move off Rodgers....aka a transition.

Maybe things will change this week, certainly hope so.

2 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

I mean, yeah. We did the exact same thing with Favre. Gute when all-in already by re-signing Bakhtiari, Clark and Jones. And when he signed those FAs in 2019. We have no cap nor this year nor next year to make any significant moves. Nothing above 3M/year will be done. It would take Simone Biles-level of gymnastics to be able to navigate under the cap by keeping Rodgers in 2022 if we want to have Adams and Alexander in our team. We simply do not have the space to do it.

Restructuring Rodgers' deal is what we'll do if we are not able to extend Adams/Z and we need to sign our draft picks. Only by restructuring him we do not get to do anything more than signing two guys por a couple million in the FA.

The prudent thing to do (what 31 other teams fortunate enough to have Aaron Rodgers would do), would be to extend 12. Jordan Love? As far as I'm concerned he can sit the bench for the next 5 years or be traded, I really don't care. 12 is our QB and is still one of the best QBs in football. This is nothing like the Favre situation who was knocking on the retirement door the whole time we had Rodgers in town.

Packers should have ran to Rodgers 5 minutes after the season ended, said they were sorry, and extended him for another 2-3 years, lol. 

Then we would have all the cap space we could possibly want for this year, and beyond...

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

That's not my finest sentence ever, but they should just extend Rodgers another year and give themselves the cap space to improve CB,DL, OL, and LB.  Lets get this team over the hump and win a title.

I was quoting for truth.  It's bull**** what Gute is doing.

I'm fine with not bringing in first week or even second week free agents.

I'm not fine with drafting a QB in the first, drafting a RB in the second, then bringing in only former Packers in-season, not pulling the trigger on the Fuller trade, not trading for IDL help...

We were 5 points from a Super Bowl appearance and we lost to a team that added Brown plus half a dozen other small, but crucial outside free agents and trades in-season, and who spent both their first two picks on immediate starters.

We ****ed our best chance at winning a Super Bowl for maybe winning one with Love.

That's like... I can't even think of a good analogy for how absolutely disappointed I am in Gute.  He is forever dead to me.

People acted like Thompson was too focused on the future and not focused enough on the present.  In the year he drafted Rodgers he also drafted Nick Collins.  Rodgers was projected 2nd overall and he got him 24th or whichever pick it was without trading up.  Love was projected 32nd or early second round and Gute traded up to get him. 

I will never forgive Gute for the Love pick.  Ever.

The only way - THE ONLY WAY - Gute can ever redeem this past season is if Love wins two Super Bowls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Unless we give an extension to Adams or a restructure of Rodgers, we are done this off-season. Not sure if they have the framework done and just are waiting for a FA to agree to terms before pulling the trigger, or if we're just done. 

Either way, now the only team in the NFL yet to make a move. Good news is Tampa hasn't signed anyone noteworthy, neither has most of the NFC contenders. 

Nothing wrong with not bringing in any players from FA. 

A lot of teams might have made moves but are actually a worse team than last year. Seattle lost Griffin and signed Witherspoon, is that a net positive move? They also lost Carlos Hyde, Jacob Hollister and David Moore and signed Everett. They are simultaneously signing players but also losing players. Baltimore lost Judon and Yannick, also lost Skura and only brought in Zeitler, and they have got boatloads of cap space, are they a better team as of now? Rams lost Johnson and Hill from the secondary, Fox and Ebukam from the D front and also lost Brown and Everett on offence and have only just picked up Djax. Are they are better team?

We are retaining our players, have consistency and continuity in our squad which is crucial to continued success.