the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

45 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's more about the intangibles, per my post: 

1. On paper at least, Bucs have a much easier schedule (they play the NFC East and we play the West, they play the AFC East and we play the North). There's a very strong argument we play the best two divisions in football top to bottom and the Bucs play the worst 2. 
  2. Just like we said last year "this is the second year of the offense with Rodgers and co....well it's year 2 of the offense for Brady and the Bucs. So there's every reason to believe they will be better on offense just for that reason unless you think this is finally the year Brady goes all Drew Brees on us. 
  3. They have the same defense including DC -- a group that was very good down the stretch. We have a new DC -- which is a wildcard (maybe good, maybe bad). 

Even if both teams stayed about the same personnel wise...there's plenty of reasons to say we're the No. 2 team there. 

There's also the fact that Brady's arm is 50/50 whether it will be worth a damn next year, it's happened to Ben, happened to Favre, happened to Manning, happened to Brees, eventually it will happen to Brady and Rodgers, time always wins. If Brady is that version of himself, they become far less scary.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

There's also the fact that Brady's arm is 50/50 whether it will be worth a damn next year, it's happened to Ben, happened to Favre, happened to Manning, happened to Brees, eventually it will happen to Brady and Rodgers, time always wins. If Brady is that version of himself, they become far less scary.

I agree. But we've yet to see it. The guy is better at defying time than most.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We lost Linsley and haven't fixed the areas that got us beat in the first place.  Brady is going to laugh his *** off when he sees Kevin King and Chandler Sullivan out there again.

Okay......without resurrecting and dissecting the past, lets look at this....

IMO we lost the NFCCG for the following reasons. You can put them in whatever order you wish. Their order (while not irrelevant) - are irrelevant for this comment:

1. King's bad day.
2. Our OT's bad day.
3. Our secondary's failure to make plays. (Read: Redmond / Sullivan)
4. Lack of running AJD. For no particular reason, I think a heavier dose of AJD would have helped.

Some would add ARs INT before the half - fine - but I'll leave it off simply because I think it more a good play (albeit PI IMO...) by the DB as opposed to a bad throw. The pass was gonna be right on Lazard's hands.

So - we havent addressed what areas that got us beat?

Upgrade at King's spot?

Here's my take on that: if King has what for him was a "normal" 2020 day - we're okay.
He didnt - we weren't. Oh well. It sucks. 

The off season's not over. Hence, I think declaring the Packers 2021 season over a bit premature.  

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

They are going to win it all again .. should be even better this year.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Barring the same misfortune the 49er's had with injuries the Buc's may go undefeated this season. That roster will be ridiculous after they add another solid draft.

The Bucs are good, don't get me wrong. But I'd be shocked if they have the exact same run good that helped them win the Super Bowl this past season. 

Two of their four playoff opponents losing their starting LT, one losing its starting QB, and the fourth playing two players struggle bussing their way through injuries? Extremely unlikely to happen again. As is their own injury fortune. Plus Brady's a year older, etc etc etc.

On paper they have an easier schedule. But the East still had one very good team (Bills), one good team (Dolphins), and it's highly unlikely the Pats under Belichick will slump again. The Jets suck though so that's as free a win as you can get.

They are an obstacle next season for sure, but they aren't some god tier unbeatable team.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Funny how a 5 loss team brought the band back together and no one is going to beat them, but the #1 seed does the same thing, and our offseason sucks...

Yep. It’s not even like there was a huge difference in these teams this year. Take away 1 play (lost fumble on own 8yd line), or any one of 5 other plays and GB could easily have won that playoff game. Run it back 10 times, and maybe fate rolls a different way. 

Linsley is a loss, but the return of Bakhtiari more than makes up for it. Health of the two rosters could change in a rematch. Another opponent could knock off TB beforehand. GB’s young players could develop better than TB’s. Many things could happen. No reason to mope. 

Seems like some fans expect to have their psyche insulated from any faintest possibility of Super-Bowl-Championship failure, or else they can’t just enjoy the season. It’s a competitive league. It’s hard to beat a 31-team field and go 3-0 or 4-0 against playoff-caliber teams. Just build a contending-level team and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

The problem is, the NFL has been waiting for this to happen for like 8 years lol

Playoff football the Bucs still get the nod because of defense. Same as last year. The Packers are the Bucks. Impressive and fun to watch in the regular season, but playoff football they are upside down. Matchups.

Bucs offense vs Packers defense - always gonna struggle to hold them to under 30

Packers offense vs Bucs defense - always gonna struggle to score 30

The disparity nod goes to the Bucs 9 times out of 10 IMO. I still go back to thinking the Bucs were the 90's Giants. Not flashy. Then you lose. You don't need a #1 rated offense. You need a defense that can hold good teams under 30. There's always gonna be one or three "Bucs" teams in the Playoffs

Edited by cannondale

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Funny how a 5 loss team brought the band back together and no one is going to beat them, but the #1 seed does the same thing, and our offseason sucks...

didn't that 5 loss team beat the #1 seed 2x?    1 rather convincingly 

25 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

9 times out of 10 the packers will lose if we play the super bowl team.

Gives some serious pretender vibes.

I'm not pretending the 2 games didn't happen - or more importantly, how they happened. If you want to argue how the offense / defense matchup would ever favor the Packers, I'm all ears. No different than that SF team in 2019. Matchups.  Or just stick with "Just shut her down" takes which give some serious pretender vibes.

Edited by cannondale