the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Reed got a one year deal.  At least I think he did.  We can get him next year.  ROFL!

But seriously, Keke has done everything "right" so far.  What we need is a stout guy in the middle.  There are those guys available later on.  And there is still the outside shot that Barmore gets to our spot. (A guy can dream, right?)

I think our young ILB's take a step forward.  And I wouldn't put it past Gute to take another one in the draft, even a premium pick.

i've been wanting premium DL resource allocation for awhile now.

• Like 1
Just now, gopackgo972 said:

Someone poke Gute with a stick and ask him to do something 

We be in the off season doldrums.

In sailing terms......we're in dead calm seas....no wind.

I'm wondering if keeping preston smith was the wrong move and Gute didn't misread this market.

If they had cut smith and saved $8M could they have gotten a replacement edge for that money?  Ingram, Houston, Clowney, Aldon Smith are all still out there and all might be fine fits in the new scheme.

The issues aren't so much for this year as for next year where getting Preston off the books might have been really useful, instead he has a potential 2022  dead cap number of $7.25M with a cap hit of $19+.  That's basically untenable.

52 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm wondering if keeping preston smith was the wrong move and Gute didn't misread this market.

If they had cut smith and saved $8M could they have gotten a replacement edge for that money?  Ingram, Houston, Clowney, Aldon Smith are all still out there and all might be fine fits in the new scheme.

The issues aren't so much for this year as for next year where getting Preston off the books might have been really useful, instead he has a potential 2022  dead cap number of $7.25M with a cap hit of $19+.  That's basically untenable.

We quite literally dropped his cap hit down to what his dead cap was...

• Like 3
Just now, CWood21 said:

We quite literally dropped his cap hit down to what his dead cap was...

next year.  We raised the dead cap number next year with the restructure in exchange for saving the money this year.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

next year.  We raised the dead cap number next year with the restructure in exchange for saving the money this year.

Which means they like the player and fit. Does no one really pay attention to our FO. We do work to keep guys and pay them. Preston can't help it that he was dropped in coverage allot last year. He didn't complain and piss and moan. His stats weren't great and that is the sad measure of most players. 

• Like 1