the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

12 hours ago, cannondale said:

Said about literally every single QB ever drafted. Once they hit the field the % of success drops drastically

Take a look at the first round QB's over time.

I haven't done it yet, but my guess is that if they sit, their odds of success in the league go up.

When they play right away?  That's when they can struggle.

I like that Love can ride pine for a while.  Kid needs to hold a clipboard and learn on the sidelines for at least a year.  

I feel like that gives you the best chance of developing your QB.  It helps that this is the only offense that Love will learn.  Also helps that this is a pretty QB friendly offense.  Rodgers sure takes it to a new level with how he reads the defenses, but even if that isn't there, I think a smart QB can function well in this system while he learns that other stuff.

I think the Packers are in a good position right now with how they have Rodgers and Love positioned.  Rodgers still has 3 years left on his contract and played at a very high level last year.  We all hope that continues.  However, if the past is any indication of the future, at some point in the next 1-3 years Rodgers is going to sustain an injury that requires Love to play some games.  We then get to see how Love is progressing or not.

With Love he has had one year in the system with no preseason.  I can remember Rodgers first two years where in the preseason games he had a hard time completing passes as he still had the ball near his ear hole and a lot of his passes to the sideline were short hopped.  I wondered if he was worth it.  Then in the 3rd preseason year, his ball placement was lower and he looked much better.  The ball was getting to the receiver and you could see the quick release.  Then, later that year Favre got injured during the Dallas game and Rodgers came in and really did a nice job.  Enough for me to say "there is your next QB".  "He is ready to go".  It put the team in a great position when Favre did his "I'm retiring, I coming back" thing.

The same may happen again, Love probably is not ready now, but with practice and time, he should grow so that if Rodgers was to get hurt say 2 years from now in the middle of the season Love can come in and may show us all he is or is not ready.  Love would only be in year 3 of his 5 year contract then.  If he isn't progressing we can get out of Love's contract and move on to another quarterback.  Patience is required and some confidence in the coaching staff to get him ready.  I personally think LeFleur's offensive scheme is quarterback friendly.  The scheme helps get receivers open...wherein McCarthy's offense depended on the receiver to win one on one's and the quarterback to put the ball in a good position.  So Love may not have to perform at Rodgers level for the team to be successful as they system is more quarterback friendly than the one Rodgers had to start out in.

Rodgers contract right now allows for this transition to potentially happen without hurting the team financially.  I think the team want to keep it that way.  If the team does not restructure Rodgers contract they are more in control of the future.  Rodgers of course wants to control that future so he was playing the message game of wondering what his status long term with the team is.  If I remember right, he also said something along the lines that this offseason could lead to a lot of changes as players that he played with and knew would leave in free agency.  Frankly, the team did something good for Rodgers this offseason as they have kept the nucleus of the team together for him.  He should be pleased about that especially considering how limited financially we were to start out with.  So that was in effect management's way of saying "we are all in" for 2021 as they believed the players we had were good enough to win it.  Then we just have to hope for a player or two to come through for us in the draft and a little luck.

Edited by minnypackerfan
  • Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 8:09 PM, incognito_man said:

with his ability and situation it is far more likely Love is our next HOF QB than "unplayable"

Jordan Love last year is basically Trey Lance this year. Tons of talent and potential yet to be proven. 

1 hour ago, gizmo2012 said:

Jordan Love last year is basically Trey Lance this year. Tons of talent and potential yet to be proven. 

Trey Lance has some of the most polished fundamentals in the class. Additionally he was one of the most risk averse QBs in the class. Him and Love aren’t very similar.

Edited by deathstar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Trey Lance has some of the most polished fundamentals in the class. Additionally he was one of the most risk averse QBs in the class. Him and Love aren’t very similar.

Maybe ... maybe not.  Without seeing either of them play a down of NFL football it's all a crap shoot.  We'll know more whether they are or aren't this fall.

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Maybe ... maybe not.  Without seeing either of them play a down of NFL football it's all a crap shoot.  We'll know more whether they are or aren't this fall.

... I mean you can just watch them play in college to see the differences.

I guess Love may be as good as Lawrence, who really knows?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, deathstar said:

love will be a better NFL QB than Lawrence by the time their respective careers are over

I wouldn't trade Love for Lawrence

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Love's college team was terrible ... Lawrence's team was pretty darn good.  Switch them around and thinking the results would be different on a lot of thinking about them.

9 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

This is certainly an interesting take. 

Lawrence looks like a project to me, but he's going to be expected to save a franchise from day one. Hard to live up to those expectations. Slippery slope of either of him or the team don't handle it perfectly. 

I think Lawrence, sitting behind Rodgers for 3 years would be a good NFL QB. He has the tools, but I don't see a quick-thinking, polished, mature NFL ready QB there. And that's going to be the expectation of him early on.

Similarly, I would have thought Love's career would have a lower chance of success if he were expected to play day 1.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, deathstar said:

Way to compare apples to oranges...

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

love will be a better NFL QB than Lawrence by the time their respective careers are over

I wouldn't trade Love for Lawrence

Apologize to your keyboard for typing something so stupid

Edited by JBURGE

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I command you to recognize Lawrence for the scrub he is.

You should change your name to The Ten Commandments

I am not gonna sit here and say Lawrence is bust-proof, but you wouldn't trade Love for Lawrence? Don't be a fool. 

Edited by JBURGE