the free agent frenzy 2021 - a thread to discuss what teams with money are doing with it

FinneasGage

how many big splsahes gute gonna make today  

25 members have voted

1. 1. how many

Gio Bernard to the Bucs.  I think he's an underrated player and fills a niche for them on 3rd down/passing that will make them better. Would have actually been a nice pickup for us if we had let 33 walk.  Not as explosive anymore but is known as a great pass protector and quality veteran presence in the locker room.

10 hours ago, deathstar said:

Okay. I’m not sure what you’re referring to as a bad pass and I’m not convinced you’re actually interested in learning about Lance as a prospect. I’m not interested in whatever you’re trying to do here, so have a good evening.

I'm trying to give you schit for unnecessarily giving someone else schit for a good post.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:49 PM, mikemike778 said:

I agree.

I think we should go all-out to win the championship this year and next. Then when Love takes over surround him with weapons and a strong O-Line and defence. Then upgrade the year after for a Championship push.

NFL should be like poker, if you go all-in and win then you get all the chips and can use them again. Sadly it isn't if you go all-in and push all your chips into the middle you can't use them again next time.

We can't forget only a hand full of free agents every year are really good players in their prime. Most are throw away's or veterans who are no longer worth the big money owed them but could have a couple of years left in them. Packers need a few really good drafts and its been a couple of years. 

30 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

We can't forget only a hand full of free agents every year are really good players in their prime. Most are throw away's or veterans who are no longer worth the big money owed them but could have a couple of years left in them. Packers need a few really good drafts and its been a couple of years

Man.  I don't know.  You can't really grade a draft class till 3-4 years into their careers.

But it's hard to NOT be excited about 2018.  Gary, Savage, Jenkins then Keke, then Stern and Summers for depth at ILB.  

I was very skeptical about the Gary and Savage picks, but they are coming on nicely.  We know what Jenkins is, and I have high hopes for Keke.

We could have picked 3 impact guys that draft in Gary, Savage and Jenkins.  I'd argue Jenkins is already there.  Savage is knocking on the door.  Gary, well, he's improved a lot, but I don't think he's quite knocking on the door yet, but he could kick that thing down this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Man.  I don't know.  You can't really grade a draft class till 3-4 years into their careers.

But it's hard to NOT be excited about 2018.  Gary, Savage, Jenkins then Keke, then Stern and Summers for depth at ILB.  

I was very skeptical about the Gary and Savage picks, but they are coming on nicely.  We know what Jenkins is, and I have high hopes for Keke.

We could have picked 3 impact guys that draft in Gary, Savage and Jenkins.  I'd argue Jenkins is already there.  Savage is knocking on the door.  Gary, well, he's improved a lot, but I don't think he's quite knocking on the door yet, but he could kick that thing down this year.

I think you're right on most counts. Savage and Gary are still not quite there yet. But dam Gary improved so much from year 1-2. If he jumps a bit more and really puts it together this year it will be ideal on the edges. Savage started working to his strengths as the year went on. So was Pettine holding him a back? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

I think you're right on most counts. Savage and Gary are still not quite there yet. But dam Gary improved so much from year 1-2. If he jumps a bit more and really puts it together this year it will be ideal on the edges. Savage started working to his strengths as the year went on. So was Pettine holding him a back? 

I think injuries have held Savage back.  I think Pettine actually helped him by putting him more around the action closer to the LOS later in the year than playing very deep like early in the year.

But I could also be dead wrong about that Pettine thing.  Just my thoughts.

If Savage becomes all world this year under Barry, we will be singing his praises.  And it might just be that the light went on for Savage and he's playing faster and more instinctively than he was earlier in his career.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think injuries have held Savage back.  I think Pettine actually helped him by putting him more around the action closer to the LOS later in the year than playing very deep like early in the year.

But I could also be dead wrong about that Pettine thing.  Just my thoughts.

If Savage becomes all world this year under Barry, we will be singing his praises.  And it might just be that the light went on for Savage and he's playing faster and more instinctively than he was earlier in his career.

Yeah Savage had a much more productive second half. Hard to say where that came from with Pettine maybe the tape showed him something or MLF got in his ear. It was a good move either way. Should be interesting to see this year what happens.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Yeah Savage had a much more productive second half. Hard to say where that came from with Pettine maybe the tape showed him something or MLF got in his ear. It was a good move either way. Should be interesting to see this year what happens.

Yes.

Though....it is popular to dump on Pettine.  I know I enjoyed it, because he held us back so much.  But, in the case of Savage, someone had to put him into a different position.  Maybe it was Pettine.  Probably it was Pettine. But we really don't know.  What we do know is that he was a much more disruptive and better player in the second half of the season.

Of note: We are one week away (April 23) from the deadline in which a team can sign a RFA to an offer sheet. There was some discussion/worry in Packers circles that Tonyan and/or Sullivan would be targets for other teams. Hopefully we continue to hear nothing for another week about either one at which point their rights exclusively belong to GB. 

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Of note: We are one week away (April 23) from the deadline in which a team can sign a RFA to an offer sheet. There was some discussion/worry in Packers circles that Tonyan and/or Sullivan would be targets for other teams. Hopefully we continue to hear nothing for another week about either one at which point their rights exclusively belong to GB. 

It was unlikely to happen.  But there was a legitimate discussion for teams if it was worth coughing up a SRP for Tonyan.