2021 Free Agency Tampering Window

textaz03

1 hour ago, buddy_z34 said:

I wouldnt say they've sucked. They been about average. Yes we all would like 2nd round picks to be more but imo if you're able get starters in rounds 1 to 4 then not much more you can ask for. That list of 2nd round picks, two-thirds of em where starters. 

It would be interesting to study our drafting.  How often do we hear you build through the draft?  Certainly one would think your picks in the top 100 should be productive.  Other things enter into it of course.  Draft another player in subsequent years who is more productive and release previously picked player.  As Plan mentioned Jerry has experimented/gambled in the second round at times.  

What is a realistic return in terms of service from our draft picks?  If drafting is not all it is cracked up to be should Dallas be looking at free agency a little more seriously?

6 minutes ago, Northland said:

It would be interesting to study our drafting.  How often do we hear you build through the draft?  Certainly one would think your picks in the top 100 should be productive.  Other things enter into it of course.  Draft another player in subsequent years who is more productive and release previously picked player.  As Plan mentioned Jerry has experimented/gambled in the second round at times.  

What is a realistic return in terms of service from our draft picks?  If drafting is not all it is cracked up to be should Dallas be looking at free agency a little more seriously?

3 things that are all true:

1) Drafting well is hard    
2) You need to draft well to sustain success, and some teams are able to do this    
3) Fans do not have a great understanding of what it means to draft well

7 of our last 10 2nd round picks became regular starters in their rookie contracts. 3 became Pro Bowlers, and only 1 (+ maybe Hill) were true busts.

That’s undoubtedly better than league average. That might even be better than league average for 1st rounder success.

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

3 things that are all true:

1) Drafting well is hard    
2) You need to draft well to sustain success, and some teams are able to do this    
3) Fans do not have a great understanding of what it means to draft well

7 of our last 10 2nd round picks became regular starters in their rookie contracts. 3 became Pro Bowlers, and only 1 (+ maybe Hill) were true busts.

That’s undoubtedly better than league average. That might even be better than league average for 1st rounder success.

There's a lot that factors into draft success for sure.  I think we need to establish what is a realistic expectation for success for our draftees?  One would think upon initial reading that if a team had 7 out of their last 10 2nd round picks become regular starters in their rookie contracts and 3 became Pro Bowlers then said team must be doing well.

29 minutes ago, Northland said:

There's a lot that factors into draft success for sure.  I think we need to establish what is a realistic expectation for success for our draftees?  One would think upon initial reading that if a team had 7 out of their last 10 2nd round picks become regular starters in their rookie contracts and 3 became Pro Bowlers then said team must be doing well.

There is more to “doing well” than what you draft in the 2nd round.

35 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

The team is bound to watch Gallup walk in free agency next year. Is that because of bad drafting or because they have a surplus within that position?? There are many factors as to why teams dont re-sign players. 

Agree.  But a number of our 2nd round picks since 2000 were dogs pure and simple.  The draft is a crapshoot.  Hindsight is always 2020.  

1 hour ago, Northland said:

Agree.  But a number of our 2nd round picks since 2000 were dogs pure and simple.  The draft is a crapshoot.  Hindsight is always 2020.  

Gavin, Goodrich and Roger's would be the selections that I would say amounted to nothing. Felix kinda sorta, maybe. Since McClay has had a bigger voice in the draft room this team has drafted well

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Adoree Jackson? He’s only 25, fills a huge need, doesn’t factor in to the comp pick equation. What kind’ve money we talkin here?

I don't want to get my hopes up... But I'd be very satisfied with this decision. 

15 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

The team is bound to watch Gallup walk in free agency next year. Is that because of bad drafting or because they have a surplus within that position?? There are many factors as to why teams dont re-sign players. 

Gallup is going to be expensive. I would love for him to stay but I don't see it happening,. And if any of the WRs or Pitts fall to 10.... don't be shocked...