2021 Free Agency Tampering Window

textaz03

2 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

As deep as this CB class is, we'll have plenty of options at 10. OT, WR, and TE (Pitts) should all warrant significant consideration. Some are also beginning to speculate that Georgia DE Azeez Ojulari may be in play as well.

Never get dialed in on a specific position. Doing that causes you to lose the opportunity to draft superior players, which ends up hurting the team in the long run.

Ojulari is better than Chaisson last year. But IMO, he’s definitely inferior to some guys who will be available at #10. That would be disappointing to me.

19 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

As deep as this CB class is, we'll have plenty of options at 10. OT, WR, and TE (Pitts) should all warrant significant consideration. Some are also beginning to speculate that Georgia DE Azeez Ojulari may be in play as well.

Never get dialed in on a specific position. Doing that causes you to lose the opportunity to draft superior players, which ends up hurting the team in the long run.

I get the logic in not pigeonholing ourselves, but it feels like this team is way too unbalanced towards its offense to continue doubling down on it in the draft. I was pro-Sewell or Slater prior to the team restructuring Smith and Collins and signing Nsekhe- now it feels like a mid-rounder to compete with Knight and Steele is more than sufficient. WR would be essentially be our third straight first rounder on the position which isn't something teams tend to do besides Matt Millen's Detroit Lions. Obviously Pitts is a rare talent and I haven't watched Ojulari yet, but I can't shake the feeling that they're just gonna take Surtain and we'll all feel a little silly trying to overthink an obvious selection.

2 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I get the logic in not pigeonholing ourselves, but it feels like this team is way too unbalanced towards its offense to continue doubling down on it in the draft. I was pro-Sewell or Slater prior to the team restructuring Smith and Collins and signing Nsekhe- now it feels like a mid-rounder to compete with Knight and Steele is more than sufficient. WR would be essentially be our third straight first rounder on the position which isn't something teams tend to do besides Matt Millen's Detroit Lions. Obviously Pitts is a rare talent and I haven't watched Ojulari yet, but I can't shake the feeling that they're just gonna take Surtain and we'll all feel a little silly trying to overthink an obvious selection.

I hear ya. And, you know my take: if Surtain is the BPA, then take him. But, if a guy like Ja'Marr Chase or Pitts falls in our laps, can we honestly afford to pass on either of them, knowing that Gallup will likely be gone after 2021? The same goes for Penei Sewell. Can we honestly pass on a talent like that? We could plug him in at LG immediately and move him to LT once Tyron Smith retires.

With 9 total picks - 4 of which in the top 100 - we'll have plenty of opportunity to find a starting CB and S in the 2nd and 3rd rounds should we pass on a CB in Round 1.

3 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I hear ya. And, you know my take: if Surtain is the BPA, then take him. But, if a guy like Ja'Marr Chase or Pitts falls in our laps, can we honestly afford to pass on either of them, knowing that Gallup will likely be gone after 2021? The same goes for Penei Sewell. Can we honestly pass on a talent like that? We could plug him in at LG immediately and move him to LT once Tyron Smith retires.

With 9 total picks - 4 of which in the top 100 - we'll have plenty of opportunity to find a starting CB and S in the 2nd and 3rd rounds should we pass on a CB in Round 1.

Yeah if it's Sewell or Chase we're talking about instead of Slater or Smith/Waddle that's a different story. On that note, though, I feel like our FO is likely to dock guys that opted out (they seem to be big on football character and love for the game and whatnot), which is why I keep noting Surtain as a likely target over Farley.

3 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I have no idea who this is. Guessing he slides below the comp pick formula and gets cut in camp

Probably a scrap heap player/camp body. He's been a situational, backup 3-4 DE until the 2020 season, so he does nothing to solve our problem at NT.

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Will be a terrific pickup for one of the 31 teams legitimately involved in free agency.

I mean, you are right. But considering their obsession with comp picks, maybe they’d be willing to spend a little more on a guy like Fuller who doesn’t impact that formula?

Probably not, but a guy can hope.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:48 AM, matt79511 said:

Yeah if it's Sewell or Chase we're talking about instead of Slater or Smith/Waddle that's a different story. On that note, though, I feel like our FO is likely to dock guys that opted out (they seem to be big on football character and love for the game and whatnot), which is why I keep noting Surtain as a likely target over Farley.

IDK I was sold on Slater when I saw him control Chase Young with one hand.  Be excited with either Sewell or Slater.  WR Chase makes sense at #10 as well.  I would not be excited about taking Pitts.  

1 minute ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

IDK I was sold on Slater when I saw him control Chase Young with one hand.  Be excited with either Sewell or Slater.  WR Chase makes sense at #10 as well.  I would not be excited about taking Pitts.  

Interesting, what is the draw back in your mind to Pitts?

40 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Interesting, what is the draw back in your mind to Pitts?

The position.  I dont think it's a premiere position.  I think top 15 picks need to be used on the guys that command $20+ mil/yr .   Not to mention a majority of the top TE's in the league were not taken in the 1st round.  I think our 2 young cheap TE's can do what we need.

Just now, SweetFancyMoses said:

The position.  I dont think it's a premiere position.  I think top 15 picks need to be used on the guys that command $20+ mil/yr .   Not to mention a majority of the top TE's in the league were not taken in the 1st round.  I think our 2 young cheap TE's can do what we need.

I fully agree that a traditional TE is not a top-10 pick.

...I don't think Pitts is traditional. I think he is - and know I hate using this term - a generational talent. 

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I fully agree that a traditional TE is not a top-10 pick.

...I don't think Pitts is traditional. I think he is - and know I hate using this term - a generational talent. 

Yes. He's more of a receiver playing TE.  If both OT's and Chase are gone, and we can't move down,  then Pitts should be the pick.  In that situation, I would rather take an elite talent than a need like CB with question marks.