FA QB's for 2018

jetfan8178

I've heard enough people mention Cousins as our only option but theres a lot of other names...

Granted Jimmy Garropolo is a very low low chance...

Teddy Bridgewater?

Sam Bradford?

EJ Manual?

What about any of these Younger options? Bridgewater is scary due to the 2 years out of the league on injury and who knows.

Just get someone like McCown for the right price again. The key will be drafting our future. 

There will be QB's available in the bargain bin. We need to upgrade yes, but we should not sign someone who has to play ahead of the kid we draft (i.e. the Glennon situation in Chicago). That's the last thing I want.

I don't expect Jimmy Garoppolo to get free by any means, and honestly I don't think Alex Smith will be available either (if he keeps it up). I can't see the Pats letting JG loose for free and I honestly believe there's a better chance of Brady being available. As for Smith, there is no rush to get Mahomes on the field, and sitting him for 2 years isn't such a bad thing given the learning curve from the Air Raid to NFL. 

I really believe in Bradford's ability, but the injuries are so troubling at this point. Whoever is healthier (he or Teddy) will likely be retained by MIN. 

I'm all in favor of going all in for Kirk Cousins. He's won me over and would be an excellent fit in this offense. I would be fine with AJ McCarron as well, but we'd have to be careful what we offer; he'll still be young (28), but we don't really know what he is. If anything, you're giving him a Mike Glennon-like deal and make him compete for the job... that said, he should integrate into this offense nicely. The only issue with McCarron is that he will be a RFA, and given that the Bengals turned down a 2nd round pick for him, he'll likely be tagged with a 1st round tender. 

4 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I don't expect Jimmy Garoppolo to get free by any means, and honestly I don't think Alex Smith will be available either (if he keeps it up). I can't see the Pats letting JG loose for free and I honestly believe there's a better chance of Brady being available. As for Smith, there is no rush to get Mahomes on the field, and sitting him for 2 years isn't such a bad thing given the learning curve from the Air Raid to NFL. 

I really believe in Bradford's ability, but the injuries are so troubling at this point. Whoever is healthier (he or Teddy) will likely be retained by MIN. 

I'm all in favor of going all in for Kirk Cousins. He's won me over and would be an excellent fit in this offense. I would be fine with AJ McCarron as well, but we'd have to be careful what we offer; he'll still be young (28), but we don't really know what he is. If anything, you're giving him a Mike Glennon-like deal and make him compete for the job... that said, he should integrate into this offense nicely. The only issue with McCarron is that he will be a RFA, and given that the Bengals turned down a 2nd round pick for him, he'll likely be tagged with a 1st round tender. 

Nothing would be sweeter to bring Brady to NY and have him win his final ring in Green. It would be poetic.

6 hours ago, Abe56 said:

Would love Cousins or Jimmy

I think Cousins or Jimmy G plus a good draft puts us in the postseason next year

I have no idea who will be the Jets QB next year, but a do agree with a real good draft we have a real shot for the postseason next year. Only problem is Mac will be doing the draft and so far in his first three drafts he flat out sucked. Why can't any of his offensive draft pick make the field, nobody seems to want to answer that question.

37 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I have no idea who will be the Jets QB next year, but a do agree with a real good draft we have a real shot for the postseason next year. Only problem is Mac will be doing the draft and so far in his first three drafts he flat out sucked. Why can't any of his offensive draft pick make the field, nobody seems to want to answer that question.

I think we are all getting a head of ourselves, thinking about 2018.  With Rodgers gone & New England;s pathetic defensive, the playoff positions for the 2017 NFL  season is wide open there is only one team so far that looks like a lock for the playoffs  and that is the Eagles. With any kind of offensive team we would be in contention for a playoff spot. Mac is the only one that is keeping us from being a playoff contender, his lack of drafting offensive players for three years is why we are in the mess we are in. And the players who he did draft in the second round & later rounds can't even make the field because they suck. When he brought in Marshall & Decker in his first year I loved the move, since then it has all been down hill for the offensive. And by the way Decker looked great last night in the Titans  win. 

"The team that Mac has built is good enough to make the the playoffs but Mac is to blame for why we don't make the playoffs"

that's how I just read your post. Leave your agenda at home. No one is thinking playoffs, just watch the growth and development happen and go from there.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I think the answer is Bowles. He makes the decisions on who plays and once Mac got proven but average vets Kearse and Kerley, it was obvious that they would be more productive day one than unproven Stewart, Hansen or Peake. Mac’s signing of McCown also doomed Petty’s chances. I truly think If Hackenberg had shocked everyone by having a great preseason, he might have won the starting job, but that was a long shot. Hack falling on his face made Bowles job easier, as only diehard fans really cared.

IMO, it speaks to the problem that Woody created by having Mac and Bowles as equals. Mac might want his drafted players to play but Bowles is the guy that decides. Bowles is fighting for his job so he’s always going to go with whoever gives him the best chance to win. Hopefully as the year progresses we’ll see more of Stewart etc

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

"The team that Mac has built is good enough to make the the playoffs but Mac is to blame for why we don't make the playoffs"

that's how I just read your post. Leave your agenda at home. No one is thinking playoffs, just watch the growth and development happen and go from there.

Their are two sides of the ball offensive & defense, both must be better than average, not just one. Our defense is better than average, and it should be like bobby 316 said we have drafted defensive players for the last EIGHT YEAR.  You are a good Jets fan, but I don't understand your love affair with Mac. I am only shooting from the hip now,  but I will bet you no team in the history of the NFL has ever taken eight defensive players in the first round for eight years in a row. That is flat out crazy, with ever new rule change it favors the Offensive, that because TV wanted more scoring the NFL has become a offensive driven league. Sunday Rodgers was running all around the backfield like he always does and this time he was hit with clean shot and he started yelling at the defensive player, that is what the NFL ha s become. And don't think you a minute we didn't have Brady rattled  in that fourth quarter. If we didn't lose that pylon call the pats were in big trouble. It just was on TV the league said the refs made the right call on the pylon play.

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Their are two sides of the ball offensive & defense, both must be better than average, not just one. Our defense is better than average, and it should be like bobby 316 said we have drafted defensive players for the last EIGHT YEAR.  You are a good Jets fan, but I don't understand your love affair with Mac. I am only shooting from the hip now,  but I will bet you no team in the history of the NFL has ever taken eight defensive players in the first round for eight years in a row. That is flat out crazy, with ever new rule change it favors the Offensive, that because TV wanted more scoring the NFL has become a offensive driven league. Sunday Rodgers was running all around the backfield like he always does and this time he was hit with clean shot and he started yelling at the defensive player, that is what the NFL ha s become. And don't think you a minute we didn't have Brady rattled  in that fourth quarter. If we didn't lose that pylon call the pats were in big trouble. It just was on TV the league said the refs made the right call on the pylon play.

Since there are so many rule changes to help the offense, there is now a premium on good defense. Lets assume you are talking about every position on offense outside of QB, since you haven't pounded the table for a QB in round one that I'm aware of. Teams will reach or trade up for QBs so I'm going to eliminate those selections in hopes of slightly leveling the playing field. By your thought process you'd have to imagine the majority of draft picks be spent on the offensive side of the ball. This has not been the case, in fact it's almost split evenly down the middle because you still need good defenders to stop teams since the rules are so slanted.

2017 - 62% teams went defense (3 QBs)

2016 - 54% teams went defense (3 QBs)

2015 - 50% teams went defense (2 QBs)

2014 - 59% teams went defense (3 QBs)

Point being you can't just blindly say we need to go offense; you need to base your pick on the talent available at your selection. Of our last 4 drafts what offensive player would you have taken at our pick?

2 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Since there are so many rule changes to help the offense, there is now a premium on good defense. Lets assume you are talking about every position on offense outside of QB, since you haven't pounded the table for a QB in round one that I'm aware of. Teams will reach or trade up for QBs so I'm going to eliminate those selections in hopes of slightly leveling the playing field. By your thought process you'd have to imagine the majority of draft picks be spent on the offensive side of the ball. This has not been the case, in fact it's almost split evenly down the middle because you still need good defenders to stop teams since the rules are so slanted.

2017 - 62% teams went defense (3 QBs)

2016 - 54% teams went defense (3 QBs)

2015 - 50% teams went defense (2 QBs)

2014 - 59% teams went defense (3 QBs)

Point being you can't just blindly say we need to go offense; you need to base your pick on the talent available at your selection. Of our last 4 drafts what offensive player would you have taken at our pick?

2017 38% of the player drafted were on offensive

2016  46% of the players drafted were on offensive

2915 50% of the players drafted were on offensive

Now please tell me and the rest of our board members what happen to all these players, why can't they make the playing field?

Why did we have to go out and pick up WR's & QB's who were second tier players their whole career.

We only scored 17 points against the Pats who are worst defensive in the NFL and are giving up a average 33 points a game

You ask me who I would taken in the draft, Round one either O.J. Howard or Adams, round two Devan Cook who had 359 yards in his first three games before getting hurt. and round three the pick our IDIOT coach gave away for nothing, there was still a top center on the board.

We are all waiting for this answer

Archived