FA QB's for 2018

jetfan8178

10 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Why should we play Hackenberg or Petty? So we could get false hope that we actually don't need another QB?

If we play the whole season with McCown at QB, then at least management knows we need a QB. The LAST thing we need is for Petty or Hack to show something late this season and give management the idea that we have our QB. Now THAT would set us back for years once again.

I don't care what people here are saying, this season is NOT a total waste of time. As has been mentioned ad nauseum already, there is more than one position to develop on a football team. And so far in 2017, we seem to be developing quite a few players for next season and beyond...led by the two safeties, the two inside linebackers, Claiborne, most of the O-line, Seferian-Jenkins, Anderson and McGuire. Would Seferian-Jenkins be developing right now if he were catching balls from Hackenberg? Would Anderson be establishing himself as a deep threat if Hackenberg were under center? Would the O-line have held up as well with a rookie under center?

Would John Morton have emerged as a quality OC with a clueless QB under center?

I prefer to view the positives of this season (so far). We were supposed to be laughable. We have been anything but. 

Add a young QB, an edge rusher, a running back and Enunwa to what we already have now, and I dare say we might just be on the right track for the first time in a very long time.

It’s simply due diligence at this point. You draft these guys especially Hackenberg in round 2 you have to at least get them some real in game experience. It’s week 11, not week 1. The time is now. Yeah he probably sucks but you have to at least give him a chance.

You don’t draft a QB in round 2 and have him essentially never play a down of meaningful football. If he’s awful, so be it. But you guys are way overstating the issue of playing a young QB at this point in the season. We have seen what most of these guys can do already EXCEPT for the young QBs.

13 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Stewart and Hanson are developing so well with McCown.

OK, but again you are dwelling on the negative. Anderson is still young and is doing well. Seferian-Jenkins is still young and is doing well. Kearse isn't ancient and has been a nice addition. Enunwa will be back next year. Smith, perhaps. Leggett, too. If Stewart and Hansen are anything, they'll have to prove they are better than some of these guys. Nice problem to have, really. 

Have we missed Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker at all this season? Not one bit, imo. 

That's a win.

11 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

It’s simply due diligence at this point. You draft these guys especially Hackenberg in round 2 you have to at least get them some real in game experience. It’s week 11, not week 1. The time is now. Yeah he probably sucks but you have to at least give him a chance.

You don’t draft a QB in round 2 and have him essentially never play a down of meaningful football. If he’s awful, so be it. But you guys are way overstating the issue of playing a young QB at this point in the season. We have seen what most of these guys can do already EXCEPT for the young QBs.

We were completely out of it late last season too, yet Hackenberg never saw the field. At this point he is not an NFL QB and everybody sees that.

I don't see what good it would do for this franchise to once again put a laughingstock QB out there so he can fall flat on his face. 

We know he sucks. I think Maccagnan would probably admit it too right about now. It's time we forget about where Hackenberg was drafted and focus on what he is: NOT an NFL QB.

I’ll say it again. Anderson looked good last year with Petty playing. It’s opportunity that these kids need. So playing guys like Anderson, ASJ, McGuire, Stewart, Hanson AND HACKENBERG!!! Is what this team needs. This franchise grooms players like they’re 8th graders going to the NFL. 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, Jag68Sid87 said:

Why should we play Hackenberg or Petty? So we could get false hope that we actually don't need another QB?

If we play the whole season with McCown at QB, then at least management knows we need a QB. The LAST thing we need is for Petty or Hack to show something late this season and give management the idea that we have our QB. Now THAT would set us back for years once again.

I don't care what people here are saying, this season is NOT a total waste of time. As has been mentioned ad nauseum already, there is more than one position to develop on a football team. And so far in 2017, we seem to be developing quite a few players for next season and beyond...led by the two safeties, the two inside linebackers, Claiborne, most of the O-line, Seferian-Jenkins, Anderson and McGuire. Would Seferian-Jenkins be developing right now if he were catching balls from Hackenberg? Would Anderson be establishing himself as a deep threat if Hackenberg were under center? Would the O-line have held up as well with a rookie under center?

Would John Morton have emerged as a quality OC with a clueless QB under center?

I prefer to view the positives of this season (so far). We were supposed to be laughable. We have been anything but. 

Add a young QB, an edge rusher, a running back and Enunwa to what we already have now, and I dare say we might just be on the right track for the first time in a very long time.

You make some good points in this post. With all the turnover and new starters on the roster, it made sense to go with the solid if unspectacular veteran at QB over for the first half of the season, to stabilize the ship.

The thing is, the party's over now. The Bucs showed all they had to do was crowd the LOS, and McCown couldn't put it over their heads to make them pay. I think the games with McCown moving forward are going to look a lot more like this then the ones that caught teams by surprise earlier in the season. Don't get me wrong, I like the role McCown  plays for the Jets, but the time to shift the focus has come.

I doubt Petty or Hack will amount anything either, but the only way to know for sure is to let them play. Look at how a guy who's respected on offense like O'Brien went with Savage over Watson to start for the Texans. Even the best evaluators can't forecast what the real situation is until the player actually plays in games. McCown gave the season a solid start, but the Jets might as well see what the story is with the two QB's occupying roster spots behind him. If they have nothing, they have to go. The Jets have to keep turning over QB's until they hit on some talent.

After last night it sure looks like Josh Rosen is the front runner in the QB derby. 32 for 52, with 421 yards & 3 TD's and 1 int, in a losing effort. All year he has been playing with inferior talent. Things haven't change since early in the college season. It is still Rosen, Jackson, & Sam Darnold, you can flip the order that I have and you still could be right. I don't think you could go wrong with any one of the three I listed. Mayfield is a distance fourth. The only thing that will break my heart is if the Giants take Rosen. After having Eli Manning for 15 years and now getting another top QB for 15 years, while we are chocking out chicken with all those dead beat QB's Mac drafted. What is the chance that one of the three will slip down to when we draft?  Will Denver move up to get a QB, we know the Giants & Browns also the Cards could go QB in the draft. As things stand now our biggest needs are QB, RB, & OL how will our loser of a GM handle that? Our biggest problem is we have a owner who could gives a flying ( inappropriate word ) about the team. He will be in Europe HOB-NOBBING with all the Royalty & politicians. This is my life as a Jet fan, losing season after losing season. As long as we have a guys like McCown & Fitz,, as our starting QB's for years things will never change with the Jets, you can be sure he will be the starting QB for 2018. McCown did a fine job this year, but we will never be a playoff team with him at QB. This will be Mac's fourth draft coming up in 2018, and we are still cellar dwellers. All I hear is that Mac has a plan, I hope it is not like the Marshall plan that took Europe ten years to get back on their feet after WW 2. 

46 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Who says this?

You think we won't go after Cousins? I'd have to imagine he'll be target #1 and then if we can't land him we will try to trade up for a QB. Seems like the logical progression given that we have the money to attract Cousin but may not have the position to draft a QB.

2 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

You think we won't go after Cousins? I'd have to imagine he'll be target #1 and then if we can't land him we will try to trade up for a QB. Seems like the logical progression given that we have the money to attract Cousin but may not have the position to draft a QB.

It sure won't be a bad move, but do you think the Redskins could afford to lose him? How many times can you put a franchise tag on a player. As of now the Redskins are 4-6 & if they keep losing, they could be in position to draft a good QB, and won't resign Cousins. but who knows.

I think we end up in the 6-8 range when it's all said and done.  Seeing this rough stretch of games I can't see us winning many more.  That should put us in range for Mayfield and Jackson both of which seem worthy of being taken in the 1st round according to most pro scouts (Rosen/Darold being the other two).  I have said many times that if Jackson is there we need to run to the podium and grab him.  The upside is just too good to pass on and if he does develop then we could have something special at the QB position.  At this point if we had to give up the SEA 2nd to make sure we land him I would do that.

Adding a vet like Bridgewater (Louisville connection) or Tyrod, both of which are perfect bridge QB's, should we want to groom him for some, most, or all of the first year.  Having a Bridgewater or Tyrod will make the transition seamless since both guys have similar styles as Jackson just not nearly the talent.   

I am all in on Jackson and Sammy Watkins I think as well in FA.  The big play ability of Jackson with his legs and arm talent and two flat out elite deep threat WR's in Anderson and Watkins would be insanely scary.  Adding another weapon to the backfield with big play ability and a healthy Q and we have the beginning of something special.

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

It sure won't be a bad move, but do you think the Redskins could afford to lose him? How many times can you put a franchise tag on a player. As of now the Redskins are 4-6 & if they keep losing, they could be in position to draft a good QB, and won't resign Cousins. but who knows.

I don't believe Cousins will sign a long term deal with the Redskins so I think that leaves them with 1 of 2 options.

1) Hit him with the transition tag which is $28M but a team can offer him a deal that the Redskins have to match or they receive a 2nd round pick (could be why Macc wanted the 2nd from the Seahawks)

2) Hit him with the franchise tag which is $34M and a team would need to give up 2 first round picks to sign him or the Redskins could trade him for whatever they deem as fair value

I think the biggest thing Macc needs to do in this offseason is spend the money on young talent. He more so than anyone should have learned this. Spending most of money his itintial year here on old FAs mostly and adding Narshall who was older. I’d like to see him onkubtarget guys under 27yrs old. We are not a win now wan therefore our cap space shouldn’t be spent on win now players.

12 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Its the logical progression if you think Cousins is deserving of being paid the highest salary of any QB in the NFL at age 30 after making playoffs one time in his career. 

I would rather wait than make the Cousins mistake. I get the Jets have been putrid for a long long time at QB but if they sign Cousins we are chasing a super bowl with him and we aren’t drafting a QB early for a while more than likely. 

Archived