FA QB's for 2018

jetfan8178

1 hour ago, jetfan8178 said:

I had to skip a lot of replies because honestly its just more of the same.

We all need to realize this GM doesn't draft need. Unless one of the top 3 qb's is extremely impressive to us AND slides to us in the draft we wont be drafting a qb with our first pick.

I see us going OL and then looking for whoever slips to us late first (trade up) or second round.

I'm seeing us going into next season with a qb comp and hack and petty will be part of it. Mac is known to collect qb's

He's smart enough to realize that he needs a QB.  Hack is too risky to put your job on the line for and unless Cousins signs here we are going to be in trouble at QB.  He may not want to draft a QB but if he rolls into next year banking on McCown and Hack or Alex Smith and Hack he probably won't be collecting QB's much longer.  He's can't keep collecting mediocre QB's expecting to keep his job winning 5-8 games each year, eventually you either bring in a franchise QB or you lose your job.  He may hit on the Williams' and Adams/Maye picks but unless you have a QB as GM you won't last.  I think this is the year he goes all in to make that happen with either a trade up, Cousins, or take the next best QB who falls to us in Jackson or Mayfield.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

He's smart enough to realize that he needs a QB.  Hack is too risky to put your job on the line for and unless Cousins signs here we are going to be in trouble at QB.  He may not want to draft a QB but if he rolls into next year banking on McCown and Hack or Alex Smith and Hack he probably won't be collecting QB's much longer.  He's can't keep collecting mediocre QB's expecting to keep his job winning 5-8 games each year, eventually you either bring in a franchise QB or you lose your job.  He may hit on the Williams' and Adams/Maye picks but unless you have a QB as GM you won't last.  I think this is the year he goes all in to make that happen with either a trade up, Cousins, or take the next best QB who falls to us in Jackson or Mayfield.

I don't think he takes a chance drafting a top guy, but I do believe he signs someone. Although, in true Mac fashion it wont be who we expect I'm sure.

Ideally we leave the draft with some solid OL additions and a pass rusher. Then we can add a CB, DE and a QB and actually look like a team.

Just now, jetfan8178 said:

He's not going to be forced at all. After a projected 0-16 laughing stock team ends up 5-11 or better they are heralding him as a genius. They will trust in anything he says.

I believe we end up with Eli before a top 5 qb in the draft.

Why does he get the credit and not Bowles?  After all it was Bowles who coached the defense and Morton who made a crappy McCown look better then he is.  Mac doesn't get credit for that.  Make no mistake he is not be heralded as a genius right now.  If he doesn't put a potential franchise QB on the field next season (or the hope of one at least via the draft) he's going to be feeling the heat.

4 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

I don't think he takes a chance drafting a top guy, but I do believe he signs someone. Although, in true Mac fashion it wont be who we expect I'm sure.

Ideally we leave the draft with some solid OL additions and a pass rusher. Then we can add a CB, DE and a QB and actually look like a team.

If he does go that route with a vet like Eli or Alex Smith or whoever he better hit on the pass rusher or LT in round 1 and make great moves in FA because it's playoffs or bust for him.  You can't go 5 years without the playoffs and no franchise QB and expect to keep your job, it just doesn't work like that.  If we do go into next year and he drafts a QB high and his pick flashes as a possible franchise QB then he will be given a chance to build around him even if they fall short of the playoffs.  That's his dilemma I think.  Play it safe at QB and put pressure on himself to make playoffs or go all in on the QB he loves buying himself time to build around that player.  

I think Macc does know he cant go into next year with McCown, Petty and Hack as his 3 QBs again. Ideally McCown is replaced (mainly bc he's a FA and with cost twice as much as we got him for). We wont get rid of Hack, there's no sense of cutting a 22yr old under contract for 2 more seasons. Petty is cuttable. This is why I wanted us to play Hack at some point this year and for more than just 1 or 2 games. To have some sort of clarity on where he is. We have no clue where he is in his development quite honestly. He could be way better than Petty, but we don't want to throw him out there in meaningless time for all we know. I do think we go hard after Cousins. We have cap space for a move like that and have a QB need. I think we eye Bridgewater as well as option 2 if we cant get Cousins. I then expect us to look in the lines of a trade at that point. I honestly have no clue who, but McCarron comes to mind but I'm not sure if he's a FA or not. If we miss on those I think we gage the price for trading up. Honestly if we have to give up a ransom for a top pick, we might as well go for the 1st pick. Problem with that is... I don't think Cleveland trades away the pick this year regardless of what is offered to them. They've traded away their 1st rounder the last 2 years and those picks have become Wentz and Watson. With still no QB and knowing they can get Rosen, I cant see them trading the pick away. For me I don't view any QB outside of Rosen worth trading up for. Darnold leads FBS in turnovers lets not forget. I wouldn't want us to trade up at a huge price to get a turnover machine. So I think we stay put. I do think we have interest in Allen. I don't think we want him at whatever pick we have (8-10) though. But I could see us taking a BPA like Barkley, McGlinchey, Fitzpatrick, B.Chubb, Landry and then look into trading up back into the last 1/2 of Round 1 for Allen. Allen needs time to develop, so he's not an answer at QB. Hack will play before Allen if drafted that's virtually a guarantee. If we draft a QB in the 1st 3 Rounds I think Petty's time as a Jet is done and he gets cut. It will be an interesting of season at QB.

24 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If he does go that route with a vet like Eli or Alex Smith or whoever he better hit on the pass rusher or LT in round 1 and make great moves in FA because it's playoffs or bust for him.  You can't go 5 years without the playoffs and no franchise QB and expect to keep your job, it just doesn't work like that.  If we do go into next year and he drafts a QB high and his pick flashes as a possible franchise QB then he will be given a chance to build around him even if they fall short of the playoffs.  That's his dilemma I think.  Play it safe at QB and put pressure on himself to make playoffs or go all in on the QB he loves buying himself time to build around that player.  

The problem with what your saying is that this regime clearly thinks 40yr old QBs give them the best chance to win. Not a franchise QB. We've had 3 whole seasons under this regime and Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown have been our starting QBs those years.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The problem with what your saying is that this regime clearly thinks 40yr old QBs give them the best chance to win. Not a franchise QB. We've had 3 whole seasons under this regime and Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown have been our starting QBs those years.

I'd really only consider year 2 to be Macc saying "This old vet gives us the best chance to win". Year 1 we clearly wanted to give Geno the job, I think we drafted Devin Smith to take advantage of Geno's arm strength along with adding all the high priced vets to give him the best chance to succeed. This year I don't believe McCown was anything more than a low bar for Hack to beat out in camp, sad thing is he just was not good enough to do that. Looking at it that way I only see 1 season where we planned to play an old QB from the start but even that year we tried to trade up for Goff/Wentz before eventually caving and signing Fitz during training camp once there were no more options.

I think Macc does know he cant go into next year with McCown, Petty and Hack as his 3 QBs again. Ideally McCown is replaced (mainly bc he's a FA and with cost twice as much as we got him for). We wont get rid of Hack, there's no sense of cutting a 22yr old under contract for 2 more seasons. Petty is cuttable. This is why I wanted us to play Hack at some point this year and for more than just 1 or 2 games. To have some sort of clarity on where he is. We have no clue where he is in his development quite honestly. He could be way better than Petty, but we don't want to throw him out there in meaningless time for all we know. 

I think if Hack showed anything in preseason he would have started, at this point there is nothing that will stop us from looking at a QB this offseason.

For me I don't view any QB outside of Rosen worth trading up for. Darnold leads FBS in turnovers lets not forget. I wouldn't want us to trade up at a huge price to get a turnover machine. So I think we stay put. I do think we have interest in Allen. I don't think we want him at whatever pick we have (8-10) though. But I could see us taking a BPA like Barkley, McGlinchey, Fitzpatrick, B.Chubb, Landry and then look into trading up back into the last 1/2 of Round 1 for Allen. Allen needs time to develop, so he's not an answer at QB. Hack will play before Allen if drafted that's virtually a guarantee. If we draft a QB in the 1st 3 Rounds I think Petty's time as a Jet is done and he gets cut. It will be an interesting of season at QB.

I like more QB's than you so I'd probably take one at #8-10. If Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson, and Allen are all gone by our pick then I'll go for BPA outside of RB. I love Chubb but I think he'll be the first non QB taken. If the QBs are gone I would probably be so mad I wouldn't know what to do. I'd probably take McGlinchey and then Luke Falk in the 2nd but IMO that would be the worst case scenario, I don't see it getting to that point. 

I'm not ready to give up on Macc yet, I think he's got us trending in a positive direction so I'd like to give him another year. If we can't land our QB then he'll probably get the can after this year unless Hack somehow turns into something.

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

As @rdelaney89 said we have given the young QB's every chance to play and the fact is they just aren't good enough to beat out the likes of Fitz and McCown.  And the only reason they aren't just throwing them in to sink or swim is because they are feeling the heat to win.  If they played Hack from week 1 and we were the Browns right now it is likely that we are cleaning house so it's easy to sit behind your keyboard and say play Hack but these guys are fighting for their jobs.

Mac is a smart man and there is a reason he tried to trade up for Goff and get back into round 1 for Watson.  He knows he needs a franchise QB or he's done sooner rather than later.  

I expect him to go all in on a QB this year, I just hope it's not another project QB who played poorly in college surrounded by excuses like Hack (ie Allen).  He can't afford to miss this time.so he better go all in on moving up for a guy or put the full court press on Cousins.  

I'd be ok with Bridgewater but not as the only signing.  Can't bank on his health, need another QB in the draft if you are signing him as insurance.  

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

As @rdelaney89 said we have given the young QB's every chance to play and the fact is they just aren't good enough to beat out the likes of Fitz and McCown.  And the only reason they aren't just throwing them in to sink or swim is because they are feeling the heat to win.  If they played Hack from week 1 and we were the Browns right now it is likely that we are cleaning house so it's easy to sit behind your keyboard and say play Hack but these guys are fighting for their jobs.

Mac is a smart man and there is a reason he tried to trade up for Goff and get back into round 1 for Watson.  He knows he needs a franchise QB or he's done sooner rather than later.  

I expect him to go all in on a QB this year, I just hope it's not another project QB who played poorly in college surrounded by excuses like Hack (ie Allen).  He can't afford to miss this time.so he better go all in on moving up for a guy or put the full court press on Cousins.  

I'd be ok with Bridgewater but not as the only signing.  Can't bank on his health, need another QB in the draft if you are signing him as insurance.  

So Hack must’ve regressed in 4-5 months since we’ve last seen him? I guess that time couldn’t have helped him get more familiar with the system, mature, adjust to the speed of the game, etc. So when you say they’ve been given every chance that’s a false statement. He got some work in preseason as was going to have to blow away the coaches to start over McCown. He didn’t do that. But that was expected from a 21yr old developmental QB just starting Year 2. The point is to try and play him now. In meaningful snaps and with a longer time in the system. That’s a legit chance. Not preseason snaps with backups. Petty I will agree has been given a chance. We honestly should’ve skipped him and went straight to Hack bc he got his chance last season. The difference on why the patience is shorter with Petty is the age. Bryce Petty has only been in the league 1 year longer than Hack, yet is 4 yeas older. So he should be mature already unlike Hack. 

7 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I'm not ready to give up on Macc yet, I think he's got us trending in a positive direction so I'd like to give him another year. If we can't land our QB then he'll probably get the can after this year unless Hack somehow turns into something.

I agree to an extent, I like Mac's approach to building a team for the most part.  My biggest issues with him are not his BPA strategy but his lack of talent at key positions.  We have no stud LT, we have no lockdown CB, we are desperate for a pass rusher and we have no QB.

Until we have hig impact players at those positions we aren't winning consistently in this league.  Build the trenches, find a lockdown CB, and get a franchise QB.  Those are the 3 things to building a winning team.  After that anything else is just icing on top.

So Mac in those areas grades out pretty bad since QB is a mess, CB is a major need, and the pass rush is non existent.  

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So Hack must’ve regressed in 4-5 months since we’ve last seen him? I guess that time couldn’t have helped him get more familiar with the system, mature, adjust to the speed of the game, etc. So when you say they’ve been given every chance that’s a false statement. He got some work in preseason as was going to have to blow away the coaches to start over McCown. He didn’t do that. But that was expected from a 21yr old developmental QB just starting Year 2. The point is to try and play him now. In meaningful snaps and with a longer time in the system. That’s a legit chance. Not preseason snaps with backups. Petty I will agree has been given a chance. We honestly should’ve skipped him and went straight to Hack bc he got his chance last season. The difference on why the patience is shorter with Petty is the age. Bryce Petty has only been in the league 1 year longer than Hack, yet is 4 yeas older. So he should be mature already unlike Hack. 

He played with the starters this preseason against the 2 win Giants and got abused.  Anytime he played with backups he was going against them too so that is a weak argument.  I hope he does play this year, I'm rooting for him to play well.

They have been given every chance to play.  You really think when a 39 year old McCown signed the coaches were hoping that he won the job?  Not sure what to tell you if you think that.  Facts are facts.  If Hack outplayed McCown he would have played this season and he didn't.  Not saying he won't improve and isn't improving but he really really really far away, too far away if you're a GM on the hot seat to wait on his development. 

33 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

He played with the starters this preseason against the 2 win Giants and got abused.  Anytime he played with backups he was going against them too so that is a weak argument.  I hope he does play this year, I'm rooting for him to play well.

They have been given every chance to play.  You really think when a 39 year old McCown signed the coaches were hoping that he won the job?  Not sure what to tell you if you think that.  Facts are facts.  If Hack outplayed McCown he would have played this season and he didn't.  Not saying he won't improve and isn't improving but he really really really far away, too far away if you're a GM on the hot seat to wait on his development. 

When there jobs are at stake? Absolutely I think they wanted McCown to win the job. They have to play young guys in preseason. That’s not giving them a chance. That’s the same thing every team does. Macc and Bowles knew they had to win at least 3-4 games to keep their job. And McCown would give them the best chance to do that. If he wasn’t injured they’d still be playing him.

18 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Why does he get the credit and not Bowles?  After all it was Bowles who coached the defense and Morton who made a crappy McCown look better then he is.  Mac doesn't get credit for that.  Make no mistake he is not be heralded as a genius right now.  If he doesn't put a potential franchise QB on the field next season (or the hope of one at least via the draft) he's going to be feeling the heat.

Bowles and Morton will get a ton of credit, but Mac will be the talent genius. Just look at the Kearse trade. It looked like we traded Sheldon for nothing and Kearse wound up being one of our top receivers.

I would love to land a franchise qb, god knows I've been waiting a lifetime but I would still like to see what these young guys we already drafted can do. We haven't even seen them fail and we are writing them off.

Archived