FA QB's for 2018

jetfan8178

4 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

But having McCown at QB helped develop the offensive coordinator, the playbook, the wide receiver corps, the young No. 3 running back, the tight end, the offensive line, the defensive secondary, the kicker etc. etc. etc.

You seem to believe that this season has been a failure because McCown was at QB instead of Hackenberg. I am of the belief we have developed quite a lot this season DESPITE having a 38-year-old QB. 

Plus, Rockice said it best. They saw McCown for what, ONE series in ONE preseason game and realized that HE was the man for the job?  

That sorta, kinda tells you all you need to know about both Hackenberg and Petty. Petty showed some signs of life but makes too many mistakes (and looks more like the type of QB we have become accustomed to around here, mistake-prone QB's like Sanchez and Smith), while Hackenberg showed absolutely nothing.

The system is the system. Who’s at QB doesn’t alter what Morton was going to do.  Meaning the surrounding talent would have gotten the same amount of work. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The system is the system. Who’s at QB doesn’t alter what Morton was going to do.  Meaning the surrounding talent would have gotten the same amount of work. 

No but the QBs skill level will dictate the quality of the reps the other 10 players get. I'd prefer not seeing Hack and getting good reps for 10 guys than seeing Hack and not getting an accurate grade from the rest of the roster.

The worst thing that could have happened this season is see QB quality like last year where you couldn't accurately grade anyone. Hack's under contract until 2020 he can still be a good QB with development. I'm just not risking not knowing a grade on the roster before we have $90M cap and multiple draft picks. I'd much rather know where to spend our money.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, jetfan8178 said:

I have a new guy to add to the list...

A J Mccarrons...

Discuss... Younger than Cousins with more ceiling however not really proven.

If he's a FA I'd have no problem signing him to a Glennon-esk deal and then sit pat and take a QB in the first. If he is a RFA though I think the Bengals are going to cut Dalton and play McCarron next year unless someone ponies up the 1st needed to sign him away.

9 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

If he's a FA I'd have no problem signing him to a Glennon-esk deal and then sit pat and take a QB in the first. If he is a RFA though I think the Bengals are going to cut Dalton and play McCarron next year unless someone ponies up the 1st needed to sign him away.

He's an RFA.  He'll be tendered.

12 hours ago, jetfan8178 said:

I have a new guy to add to the list...

A J Mccarrons...

Discuss... Younger than Cousins with more ceiling however not really proven.

I'd be ok with signing AJ. But it shouldn't change our approach during the draft. I would still trade up for Rosen. Similar to the Bears. They still traded up to secure their guy.

For me I would sacrifice next years pick and multiple mid rounders to get our franchise qb if I was part of the front office. I mean if we had a top qb in the next couple of years it really doesn’t matter that we had to surrender a few picks to secure him. 

Archived