FA QB's for 2018

jetfan8178

9 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I can’t believe there are fans who actually want to bring in Alex Smith next year. What does a bottom 5 team (yes we are still a bottom 5 team when the season ends) get out of Alex Smith? To give Hackenberg 2 more years on the bench? The best chance to win? Do we think this team is somewhere close? I seriously don’t get it

Alex Smith on the Jets roster under Todd Bowles is not going to look anything like Alex Smith on the chiefs roster with Andy Reid. 

my god this franchise sucks so hard

Who said bring Alex Smith in and not draft a QB?

On 10/18/2017 at 6:24 PM, ekill08x said:

What Smith are were talking about here?

On 10/18/2017 at 1:00 PM, rdelaney89 said:

If I had to rank the QB position:

1) Would love Petty/Hack to take over

2) Cousins

3) Smith or Brees + Draft Pick

4) Jimmy G 

5) Tyrod/Bridgewater/Bradford + Draft Pick

This looks good to me except number 3. I think we need to move past the veteran QB thing. Got to start throwing the young guys in the fire. It would be a big plus to see what Petty and Hack have before the season is over. Assuming their ceilings are backup QBs, my preference would be Bridgewater and selecting a QB in the first or second round. I'm on the Baker Mayfield bandwagon.

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Me too. For the PS.

Practice squad? For real?

I don't think he would spend too much time behind either Petty or Hackenberg, if any. We have to come to the realization that we do not have anything more than 2 potential NFL backups, journeymen types, dime-a-dozen QB's in Petty and Hackenberg.

If they are lucky, they'll have as long a career as Josh McCown. In Hackenberg's case, that seems almost impossible.

On 10/20/2017 at 10:20 AM, GangGreen420 said:

I guess I should say, what can Alex Smith do that Josh McCown or any other cheap vet can’t?

Dude LOL, Smith is the MVP conversation.  What can McCown do that Smith can?  I want no part of Smith at his price tag but comparing Smith to McCown is laughable.

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Dude LOL, Smith is the MVP conversation.  What can McCown do that Smith can?  I want no part of Smith at his price tag but comparing Smith to McCown is laughable.

So your telling me we are playoff contenders with Alex Smith then?

Smith is not a world beater. He’s got great offensive coaches, good players around him, something we don’t have. To think Alex Smith would play even close to the level he is now here in NY is laughable.

Yes, he’s “better” than McCown. But he’s not good enough to take us to the playoffs, his ceiling is low, it’s a pointless move that would yield identical results save maybe a win or two.

Jets HAVE to go young at QB. Draft a guy and give him a chance. No more band-aids. Alex Smith will not be nearly as effective here, without Andy Reid. Kirk Cousins isnt a winner. He puts up monster numbers, but that team has hovered at .500 with him at QB. Giving him big money is just irresponsible for a rebuilding team. 

We have to draft someone. We aren't winning many more games, we will have every opportunity to trade up if we have to. Spending money on older guys who have no history of winning or COMPLETELY unproven guys  like Jimmy Garrapolo who had 3 games in a concept offense are "same old jets' type of moves we absolutely shouldn't make. Keep adding young players and a young QB. 

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Jets HAVE to go young at QB. Draft a guy and give him a chance. No more band-aids. Alex Smith will not be nearly as effective here, without Andy Reid. Kirk Cousins isnt a winner. He puts up monster numbers, but that team has hovered at .500 with him at QB. Giving him big money is just irresponsible for a rebuilding team. 

We have to draft someone. We aren't winning many more games, we will have every opportunity to trade up if we have to. Spending money on older guys who have no history of winning or COMPLETELY unproven guys  like Jimmy Garrapolo who had 3 games in a concept offense are "same old jets' type of moves we absolutely shouldn't make. Keep adding young players and a young QB. 

Good post I absolutely agree. Draft our guy.

I just have no confidence they have any clue as to who that guy is.

On 10/26/2017 at 8:41 AM, Jag68Sid87 said:

Practice squad? For real?

I don't think he would spend too much time behind either Petty or Hackenberg, if any. We have to come to the realization that we do not have anything more than 2 potential NFL backups, journeymen types, dime-a-dozen QB's in Petty and Hackenberg.

If they are lucky, they'll have as long a career as Josh McCown. In Hackenberg's case, that seems almost impossible.

So our baseline on who should be our starting QB is if they’re better than Petty or Hack? There’s tons of qbs better than them. I will say I’d take Hack over Baker everyday of the week.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So our baseline on who should be our starting QB is if they’re better than Petty or Hack? There’s tons of qbs better than them. I will say I’d take Hack over Baker everyday of the week.

Why?

What do you see in Hackenberg, Bobby?

Archived