FA QB's for 2018

jetfan8178

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Why?

What do you see in Hackenberg, Bobby?

I’ll start with my criticism of Baker. Bc it’s more that I think he’s not good than that I think Hackenberg is good. Baker 1st off has one of the biggest egos to come out in a decade. Most his good play is made by creating (which isn’t easy in the NFL). His stats are inflated bc of the offense he runs. Now to Hack. I think he has more pure talent than most qbs. Cannon of an arm, surprisingly doesn’t turn the ball over too much and has experience. His biggest issue is confidence. Watching him in preseason was awful bc they never let him throw downfield. It was dink and dumps. He might never start or be awful. But I like his skill set to mold a lot more than Baker.

It's been great that the Jets have been able to play competitively for the most part and keep us entertained. I'm not sure that it's purely the product of an improving team, or how mediocre the rest of league has become. I think the Jets will stay competitive for the first half against Atlanta, and then get beaten comfortably in the second half. 

I expect a loss the following Thursday. They need to start playing Petty and Hack after the bye. There's no point for the Jets to carry two QB's on the roster who can't play in this league, and the only way to verify that for sure is to have them start. I can't stand the idea of the franchise trying to pull the wool over the fan's eyes by clinging to McCown past the mid point of the season. He's been good for the Jets, I'd like to see him return next season if the Jets find the young QB they're going to get behind, but he's 38 and can only take a team so far.

As well as Alex Smith has played this year, I don't see him as a fit for us. He's 33, and would be better on a team like Denver or Arizona. Cousins would be great, but I don't think he's going anywhere, and if he does, obviously SF would be his destination. Brees is going to retire a Saint. Eli,a Giant. Jimmy G may be traded, but not to us.

Call it tanking or whatever you want, but the Jets have to sink or swim this season with the two QB's they chose to devote resources to. The GM and coaching staff has to own the results. They drafted these guys and passed on Watson, presumably  because they were invested in these two. Let's see what they've been hiding from us.

On 10/28/2017 at 12:09 PM, Bobby816 said:

I’ll start with my criticism of Baker. Bc it’s more that I think he’s not good than that I think Hackenberg is good. Baker 1st off has one of the biggest egos to come out in a decade. Most his good play is made by creating (which isn’t easy in the NFL). His stats are inflated bc of the offense he runs. Now to Hack. I think he has more pure talent than most qbs. Cannon of an arm, surprisingly doesn’t turn the ball over too much and has experience. His biggest issue is confidence. Watching him in preseason was awful bc they never let him throw downfield. It was dink and dumps. He might never start or be awful. But I like his skill set to mold a lot more than Baker.

I think you need to watch way more film on baker after reading this. if you plain dont think hes good and you still have faith in hack that kind of says it all to me. Baker is a complete gamer and competitor. the ego is the most over blown assessment with baker mayfield as well. I bet he tests well and blows people away at the combine. just watch. hack has legit zero confidence and zero fight to his game. all he has is height and an arm which is the only reason hes still on the roster. 

4 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I think you need to watch way more film on baker after reading this. if you plain dont think hes good and you still have faith in hack that kind of says it all to me. Baker is a complete gamer and competitor. the ego is the most over blown assessment with baker mayfield as well. I bet he tests well and blows people away at the combine. just watch. hack has legit zero confidence and zero fight to his game. all he has is height and an arm which is the only reason hes still on the roster. 

I agree with you on Baker but I do wish we could get to see Hack play at least 3-5 games this season. I think Bowles is going to stay with McCown at least to the break. At that point, I think we have to play Hackenberg just to see if he has any future. If we go directly to Petty or stay with McCown It probably means the coaching staff has no confidence in Hack at all.

2 hours ago, Rich51 said:

I agree with you on Baker but I do wish we could get to see Hack play at least 3-5 games this season. I think Bowles is going to stay with McCown at least to the break. At that point, I think we have to play Hackenberg just to see if he has any future. If we go directly to Petty or stay with McCown It probably means the coaching staff has no confidence in Hack at all.

Not worth trying to figure out which quarterback will be Jets' savior.  Jets are committing to McCown all the way. There is nothing we can do about it. Forget Petty because he will become free agent after this season.  Hackenberg will be with Jets for 1 or 2 more seasons as a stopgap starter or a backup qb.   That's it.

I think Maccagnan will continue tapping on a veteran to carry the offense for Jets.  I don't think any better quarterback will play for Jets so that will leave Case Keenum or Sam Bradford as an ideal choice.  oaf! 

As for drafting qb, I would say Rosen, Thorson and Darnold are only qb who I think will beat Hackenberg right away.  Mayfield has played air raid offense so he will need some time to learn NFL scheme.  As a qb prospect, I like Mike White as late round pick or Kurt Benkert/Danny Etling as UDFA.

Sorry for rambling but the point is playing either Hackenberg or Petty this year will not change the future for Jets at all.

15 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Not worth trying to figure out which quarterback will be Jets' savior.  Jets are committing to McCown all the way. There is nothing we can do about it. Forget Petty because he will become free agent after this season.  Hackenberg will be with Jets for 1 or 2 more seasons as a stopgap starter or a backup qb.   That's it.

I think Maccagnan will continue tapping on a veteran to carry the offense for Jets.  I don't think any better quarterback will play for Jets so that will leave Case Keenum or Sam Bradford as an ideal choice.  oaf! 

As for drafting qb, I would say Rosen, Thorson and Darnold are only qb who I think will beat Hackenberg right away.  Mayfield has played air raid offense so he will need some time to learn NFL scheme.  As a qb prospect, I like Mike White as late round pick or Kurt Benkert/Danny Etling as UDFA.

Sorry for rambling but the point is playing either Hackenberg or Petty this year will not change the future for Jets at all.

IMO  if we want to developed any young QB we need an innovative coach. If for some reason we keep Bowles I can see us keeping McCown or signing a Kessler or Bradford.

Mayfield, Jackson, Barrett, and probably a few others need to go to teams where they are wanted by the HC and not just a draft pick by a GM hoping that they fit the offense.

Besides Darnold and Rosen and the 3 mentioned above I think there are 10-15 other QBs that could be drafted.  Rudolph,White, Allen, Thorson, Dungey, Finley, Ferguson, Falk, Browning, Sridham, Grier, Woodside, Austin Allen could all get drafted, some because of their size and potential, others because of their consistency over the years or how they do in the post season show (EW, Senior Bowl, Combine and Pro Days). 

Well Bowles has said it. He had all summer to see what he has in the young QBs. McCown is his guy. Because real game experience isn’t important right? Right? He’s seen it all and we need to heed to his expertise. I’m glad you know what we all don’t Todd.

he really is the worst coach we’ve had since Kotite.

I think our 2018 QB is not on the current roster, and we may actually have 2 or 3 new signal-callers next year. 

So, whether McCown plays 16 or whether Petty or Hackenberg get some action in, it really matters little.

I'd have no issue re-signing McCown on the cheap again for 2018 if we were to draft 1 or 2 guys, or bring in some other FA as well. Petty isn't really worth keeping, and Hackenberg is a disaster waiting to happen.

Of course, if we get a new head coach HE might have a different plan in mind for our QB situation.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

Kirk Cousins in a Jets uniform just became that much more realistic... 

He was pretty far down on my list. He’s going to cost 25mill per season or close to it. He’ll already be 30 at the start of camp next season and has not won any big time game in his career. 

Just a thought, but I wonder if Jimmy G doesn't gel with 49'rs and Cousins shoots his way out of DC, could they turn him over in draft day trade? I guess we'll have to wait and see if contract follows. They only gave up a second, so maybe he heads to 49'rs without an agreement.

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Kirk Cousins in a Jets uniform just became that much more realistic... 

We are going to make a huge push for him. With potentially $80-$100M in cap space, why not? Theoretically we could give him 5 years $150M with $50M in the first year, $30M year 2 and then have 3 years at ~$22M. We don't have anyone major to sign in the next few years anyway.

Use the $30-$50M remaining in cap space this year to lock up ASJ and Claiborne then give short deals to Davis and Enunwa:

ASJ - 3 years 10M per (protected if he messes up)

Claiborne - 3 years 12M per (protected against injury)

Davis - 2 years 5M per

Enunwa - 1 year 5M

that could still leave us with ~$20M to play with, Anyone feel like signing Le'Veon Bell or Jarvis Landry? That could be a possibility.

Go into the draft targeting BPA at Pass Rusher and Center. I'd double dip at Pass Rusher in the first 3 rounds.

Archived