FA QB's for 2018

jetfan8178

28 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

We are going to make a huge push for him. With potentially $80-$100M in cap space, why not? Theoretically we could give him 5 years $150M with $50M in the first year, $30M year 2 and then have 3 years at ~$22M. We don't have anyone major to sign in the next few years anyway.

Use the $30-$50M remaining in cap space this year to lock up ASJ and Claiborne then give short deals to Davis and Enunwa:

ASJ - 3 years 10M per (protected if he messes up)

Claiborne - 3 years 12M per (protected against injury)

Davis - 2 years 5M per

Enunwa - 1 year 5M

that could still leave us with ~$20M to play with, Anyone feel like signing Le'Veon Bell or Jarvis Landry? That could be a possibility.

Go into the draft targeting BPA at Pass Rusher and Center. I'd double dip at Pass Rusher in the first 3 rounds.

50mill Year 1? What are you smoking?

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

50mill Year 1? What are you smoking?

What would you rather spend that money on? There aren't any FAs out there that could change this team more than Cousins. It would still leave us with $30-50M to spend on anything else. I'd much rather front load a deal for a QB since we don't have anyone else to pay.

The S F 49ers only had to give up a second round pick for Jimmy Garoppola, how many second round picks did we throw away for nothing. Look at the last several years, Hack. Amaro, Geno Smith, Stephen Hill, Ducasse, Kenrick Ellis. At least we got some help from Ellis.  Now you see why the Jets are perennial lossers.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, Harris Smith said:

It's been great that the Jets have been able to play competitively for the most part and keep us entertained. I'm not sure that it's purely the product of an improving team, or how mediocre the rest of league has become. I think the Jets will stay competitive for the first half against Atlanta, and then get beaten comfortably in the second half. 

I expect a loss the following Thursday. They need to start playing Petty and Hack after the bye. There's no point for the Jets to carry two QB's on the roster who can't play in this league, and the only way to verify that for sure is to have them start. I can't stand the idea of the franchise trying to pull the wool over the fan's eyes by clinging to McCown past the mid point of the season. He's been good for the Jets, I'd like to see him return next season if the Jets find the young QB they're going to get behind, but he's 38 and can only take a team so far.

As well as Alex Smith has played this year, I don't see him as a fit for us. He's 33, and would be better on a team like Denver or Arizona. Cousins would be great, but I don't think he's going anywhere, and if he does, obviously SF would be his destination. Brees is going to retire a Saint. Eli,a Giant. Jimmy G may be traded, but not to us.

Call it tanking or whatever you want, but the Jets have to sink or swim this season with the two QB's they chose to devote resources to. The GM and coaching staff has to own the results. They drafted these guys and passed on Watson, presumably  because they were invested in these two. Let's see what they've been hiding from us.

All I am going to say, is your post is OUTSTANDING, I COULD NOT AGREE MORE. Nice job.

starting to come around to the Cousins idea, would rather try to draft and develop a guy. If we landed him I'd go all in on getting Barkley and loading up on OL. Don't think he's had a consistent run game in his career and that could make a huge difference 

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

An Offense of 

QB: Cousins

RB: Barkley(1st round pick)

WR: Q, Kearse, Anderson, Stewart

TE: ASJ, Leggett/FA TE

OT: KB/FA LT, Shell

OG: Carp, Winters

C: Billy Price(2nd round pick)

would be solid

Not bad at all the only thing that scares me some is Cousins will be 30 years old before the start of next season. I know today the OB's are protected so much more than years ago, you can't hit them above the shoulders or below the knees, so he could play at a high level for 5 or 6 years which is OK. The perfect scenario is to draft our own QB of the future, but that is easer said than done. Over all I do like your offense roster & ideas. The big question is where does Mac stand on Cousins ?

8 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

What would you rather spend that money on? There aren't any FAs out there that could change this team more than Cousins. It would still leave us with $30-50M to spend on anything else. I'd much rather front load a deal for a QB since we don't have anyone else to pay.

I’m seriously trying to figure out if you’re serious or not? Do you not know the market for a QB right now? Stafford is the highest paid QB at 27mill. So throwing out 50mill isn’t going to happen and would be the dumbest move ever. Cousins should get between 20-25per (1/2 of your guess). The thing with him will be length of contract. He will want that guaranteed money for more years more so than anything after playing tagged for 2 seasons with no contract.

I still see a path to Rosen who is my #1 target.  We would have to lose out basically which is unlikely but not out of the question if we start going with Petty/Hack and more of the younger guys.  Hopefully after losing to BUF we start to move in that direction.

I mean CLE has Kiser who has enough talent to groom and CLE has deon some crazy things.  All the QB's have some flaws and they are not a lock to take one.  Barkley could be in play here for them as well as a future LT or stud defensive player.  Should they make a move on a QB I still think most NFL scouts view Darnold as the best in the class because of his intangibles.  Lets say they go Darnold or trade #1 to someone who will take him.

SF just went all in on Jimmy, INDY has Luck, CHI just went all in on Mitch, and TB has Winston who I doubt they give up on already.  Other teams in the mix are MIA, LAC, NYG, ARI.   Right now NYG are the real threat to take Rosen.  MIA has 4 wins but appear to be tanking by trading Ajayi, ARI has 3 wins like us but you have to think their D is good enough to scrape out a win here or there same with LAC who is playing hard still.

If we can jump NYG with Eli and that D playing hard we could be in position to land the best passer who is made for the Jets.  Pro style, big arm to cut into the wind, and a big personality.  Lets hope we don't get that week 16 or week 17 win that moves us out of the Rosen running.  Right now I'm holding out hope for that #3 pick (CLE, SF, NYJ) with Darnold and Barkley going #1 and #2.

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I still see a path to Rosen who is my #1 target.  We would have to lose out basically which is unlikely but not out of the question if we start going with Petty/Hack and more of the younger guys.  Hopefully after losing to BUF we start to move in that direction.

I mean CLE has Kiser who has enough talent to groom and CLE has deon some crazy things.  All the QB's have some flaws and they are not a lock to take one.  Barkley could be in play here for them as well as a future LT or stud defensive player.  Should they make a move on a QB I still think most NFL scouts view Darnold as the best in the class because of his intangibles.  Lets say they go Darnold or trade #1 to someone who will take him.

SF just went all in on Jimmy, INDY has Luck, CHI just went all in on Mitch, and TB has Winston who I doubt they give up on already.  Other teams in the mix are MIA, LAC, NYG, ARI.   Right now NYG are the real threat to take Rosen.  MIA has 4 wins but appear to be tanking by trading Ajayi, ARI has 3 wins like us but you have to think their D is good enough to scrape out a win here or there same with LAC who is playing hard still.

If we can jump NYG with Eli and that D playing hard we could be in position to land the best passer who is made for the Jets.  Pro style, big arm to cut into the wind, and a big personality.  Lets hope we don't get that week 16 or week 17 win that moves us out of the Rosen running.  Right now I'm holding out hope for that #3 pick (CLE, SF, NYJ) with Darnold and Barkley going #1 and #2.

I have zero faith in Bowles playing young guys. That’s why he needs to go. We’re rebuilding but play vets. Clueless 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m seriously trying to figure out if you’re serious or not? Do you not know the market for a QB right now? Stafford is the highest paid QB at 27mill. So throwing out 50mill isn’t going to happen and would be the dumbest move ever. Cousins should get between 20-25per (1/2 of your guess). The thing with him will be length of contract. He will want that guaranteed money for more years more so than anything after playing tagged for 2 seasons with no contract.

1/2 my guess. When did I say I wanted to give him $50M per year??? I said front load the contract so he doesn't handicap our ability to sign players once our rookies come off their first contracts. 

5 Year $150M Contract

Year 1 - $50M (Still have $50M in cap space AFTER front loading)

Year 2 - $30M

Year 3 - $23M

Year 4 - $23M

Year 5 - $23M

Not to mention that wouldn't be all guaranteed money. He'd be the best QB in our franchises history. So again I ask who are you going to spend $80-100M on this off-season? And how much cap are you trying to roll into next year, and who are you planning to save that money for?

QB is the most important position in the game so yes I'd rather spend our money on that position since a top 10 QB will be available.

Archived