Lions re-sign DE Romeo Okwara

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm not overly excited about this.  10 was about the max I would have wanted him for.  I am guessing he wanted to stick around and play with his brother which makes sense.  But not sure he is what we need.  I am guessing we don't go with an edge rusher early in the draft now.  

You can never have too many pass rushers.  I don't think it stops us at all honestly.  Even though i think we need to sit back and collect comp picks I also would be totally fine if they signed say Ngakoue.  Just roll him, Okwaras and Flowers through our line and attack the passer.  It would be a welcome change to prioritize the pass rush.

Sounds like there are some incentives involved? I'm OK with this. I still think that we won't do many big moves, but you do need to field a team out there. You need veterans who can play so that your rookies aren't forced into action before they're ready. Okwara is still young enough that maybe we're able to content in the last year of this deal and he can still help out. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm not overly excited about this.  10 was about the max I would have wanted him for.  I am guessing he wanted to stick around and play with his brother which makes sense.  But not sure he is what we need.  I am guessing we don't go with an edge rusher early in the draft now.  

That's ok with me because the edge rusher class in this draft isn't great

12 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

That's ok with me because the edge rusher class in this draft isn't great

I agree for immediate starters but quite a few guys I like with high ceilings and lower floors. I still hope we grab one in the mid rounds to develop but I wouldnt trust many or any of these guys to start right away. 

Don't hate it. Still can draft anyone you want. It's short, so, even if you hate him or the deal none it will be for long. Essentially can cut him in 2 years if you find his replacement by then. Till then they might have over paid slightly for a decent starter/pass rusher.

3 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

1. Whats the dead cap after years 1 and 2?

2. Does this re-signing count against comp pick formula?

3. He's still only 25, so maybe he did grow as a player, but I'm wary of big contract year production after not doing anything. I would have liked to see him leave TBH.