49ers re-sign CB Jason Verrett (One year deal)

Awesome!!! Still wont change our plans to draft an early round CB and K. Williams coming or going will have an even greater effect. 

But having Moseley and Verrett back at a minimum makes me feel slightly more comfortable with our CB room. We need to add some young, hopefully early round, talent to that group. But Verrett provides that veteran mentor.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So I wonder what the plan is.. Will it be Verrett and Mosley on the outside with a new slot CB or will is the plan to find another outside CB and slide Mosley inside?

Well I'd hope for another ouside CB and a new Slot CB

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So I wonder what the plan is.. Will it be Verrett and Mosley on the outside with a new slot CB or will is the plan to find another outside CB and slide Mosley inside?

You still are in the market for a corner. Moseley isn't good enough to be out right penciled in as a starter and nor is he getting big money. Heck, neither is Verrett but that's because of his injury history. CB is still a position of need. I would like Moseley to compete for a starting gig either on the inside or outside but definitely not just giving him the job.

When we went to more man coverage, Spoon was FAR better than Moseley. Like our defense to end the season was pretty amazing but that's because Verrett/Spoon were left on an island and Saleh was able to bring the blitz more. Who knows what Ryans would prefer? But the early word was that he is going to bring a lot of pressure so I'm guessing we will be in man coverage more than the years past. That's something to think about. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, P_locniners said:

Awesome!!! Still wont change our plans to draft an early round CB and K. Williams coming or going will have an even greater effect. 

But having Moseley and Verrett back at a minimum makes me feel slightly more comfortable with our CB room. We need to add some young, hopefully early round, talent to that group. But Verrett provides that veteran mentor.

For sure. I'd still like to get grab one early like Newsome at the end of the first or early second, then circle back around and grab a guy like St. Juste or Elijah Griffin in the middle rounds.

• Like 1

Also, Josina Anderson is really good at her job to. Her sources are almost directly the players themselves. So you know she had to have put in the work to build relationships since she's not just getting scoops from agents or team personnel. 

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You still are in the market for a corner. Moseley isn't good enough to be out right penciled in as a starter and nor is he getting big money. Heck, neither is Verrett but that's because of his injury history. CB is still a position of need. I would like Moseley to compete for a starting gig either on the inside or outside but definitely not just giving him the job.

When we went to more man coverage, Spoon was FAR better than Moseley. Like our defense to end the season was pretty amazing but that's because Verrett/Spoon were left on an island and Saleh was able to bring the blitz more. Who knows what Ryans would prefer? But the early word was that he is going to bring a lot of pressure so I'm guessing we will be in man coverage more than the years past. That's something to think about. 

Then put me down for Jaycee Horn. I want a guy who won't back down and isn't afraid to press.

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

On one hand a longer deal would have been nice because if he replicates last year his price will just go up and it makes it a bit easier on this year if you can spread the cap hit some. On the other hand with his injury history its a big risk to sign him longer than a year.

This buys us time at least. I think it's an incredible deal for us. I don't know what kind of Jedi mind trick Paraag used on him, but he can do it some more.

There's a decent chance Moseley's cap hit in year 1 is pretty low, so we could potentially have a pair of starting corners for less than 10m. That's amazing. Or maybe we sign or draft another outside corner, and Moseley ends up in the slot, and we're in great shape. I just hope one or two of our young guys can show some promise (get to work, DB coach!), because there are always injuries in the secondary. What are the chances Tim Harris has a breakout year?

• Like 2

I wonder who offered him a multi year deal? I am excited to have him back. I hope we can Williams back as well. (I expect him to go to the Jets though) Didn't we draft a cb last year that was out all year?

8 minutes ago, mrscottso said:

I wonder who offered him a multi year deal? I am excited to have him back. I hope we can Williams back as well. (I expect him to go to the Jets though) Didn't we draft a cb last year that was out all year?

Maybe we offered him a multi-year deal and he wanted the one year deal so we adjusted to that. 

14 minutes ago, mrscottso said:

I think we only signed an undrafted free agent CB who then was poached by another team. Then we signed another one named Adonis, which is good enough for me. Last year, we had the return of Tim Harris from the IR, though, maybe that's who you're thinking of. But no one proven. 

• Like 1