Time travel to any time period

Ty21

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Most of those are poor countries. Those are always at war

Dont really care that much about the wars. Just it being before drugs and computers ruined everything 

Tbf the US was involved in pretty much every single one of those conflicts.  And had to live with the h-bomb and sputnik looming over our heads.  

If you're looking for peace and prosperity, the 1920s could be an option as well.

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Tbf the US was involved in pretty much every single one of those conflicts.  And had to live with the h-bomb and sputnik looming over our heads.  

If you're looking for peace and prosperity, the 1920s could be an option as well.

But, prohibition... You wouldn't survive.

I'd go back in time twenty months and win the lotto at least twice, more frequently if I'm allowed to bring my phone back in time with me.  The loss of two years of my life is certainly worth it in exchange for tens of millions of dollars. 

1 hour ago, Crickett said:

I'd go back in time twenty months and win the lotto at least twice, more frequently if I'm allowed to bring my phone back in time with me.  The loss of two years of my life is certainly worth it in exchange for tens of millions of dollars. 

Something I've thought about before. If someone has or does win the lottery multiple times, should we accuse them of being a time traveler? Another idea I've had about time traveling is to steal hit songs a few years before they come out. Should we be suspicious of Taylor Swift?

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

If you're going to cheat the system, go bigger than that.

With foreknowledge, it's pretty easy to become mega rich.  You could invest heavily in the tech bubble and then after you've made a fortune, make a second one with put options.   You could invest in Apple or Google for the long haul, you could invest in oil or gold in the early 2000's.  You could pull a Biff Tannen and bet on all of the Superbowl winners/World Series winners/NBA champions for the last twenty years.   If you do all of these, you could probably short sell you way to becoming a billionaire in 2008 based on financial institutions that no longer exist.   And then to top if off, you could probably make yourself a billionaire again by getting in on the ground floor of bitcoin.  And of course, in my case there's still the lotto. 

But here's the thing.  Where do you get the initial money to gamble on sports champions or invest in a tech bubble?  That requires capital.  Now, based on the fact that you can go back to any time period, I'm assuming you're physically traveling back or forward through time.  It's not like you're pulling a Steins;gate and sending your consciousness back to an earlier point in your timeline.   Putting together the money to hatch that scheme is going to be the hard part.  Even if you're just going back early enough to invest in bitcoin, you still need a few thousand dollars to get really wealthy off of it. 

You know what isn't that hard?  Getting a minimum wage supermarket job in some rinky dink town (that won't risk altering the future so that the numbers you think win actually won't) for a few months and buying lotto tickets until you bet on lotto numbers you know from memories of the future will actually win.  Ones that didn't previously have a winner, so you don't need to worry about sharing.  Just on a whim, I have two lotto number sequences committed to memory.  One is from May of 2016 and one is from February of 2017.  I picked 18 months to give myself enough time to travel far enough away that I don't need to risk running into myself, become gainfully employed and having the few dollars to buy the lotto tickets. I only picked 18 months so I can limit the chances my actions will somehow alter the future changing the lotto numbers.   

Finally, I referenced Biff Tannen earlier, but I'm not actually looking to make my own fiefdom.  I have two lotto number sequences memorized.  Both lotto's were for 100+ million cash payout before taxes.  Winning that twice would certainly allow me to do whatever I wanted to do.  Not only that, but I'd only have to wait 18 months before my future self disappeared to travel back in time.  At that point, I could re-integrate myself in to my current life, now with tens of millions of dollars and two less years going forward. 

If I were to do this, I'd probably contact my future self right before he was set to travel back in time.  He wouldn't have memorized the lotto numbers I did (because I won and I wouldn't bother to memorize lotto numbers some one else won), but I picked those numbers for a reason.  I found them particularly easy to memorize.  Give the alternate version of myself two hours and I'm sure he could memorize the two number sequences. 

Archived