Jets sign LB Jarrad Davis

Bianconero

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Good pick up here. Worth a shot, has range, and helps with the transition. With the way Saleh was able to put players like him in position to succeed, I can see him having a solid season. 

He was bench this year because of his poor play.

A one year contract tells me he is scheme specific, and will be used all over the field as a situational pass rusher. The Jets wanted to make their defense faster, and this signing does just that.

By adding E.R. and the LB corps faster, it gives the D line more of an opportunity to collapse the pocket and strengthens the CB group which talent wise is lacking. So the big play or the splash play is minimized.

I can see many of the D linemen who have underperformed being put on notice. I believe J.D. will either trade away for future picks or swap picks going forward to get rid of some of these players who have not lived up to the reason they were drafted.

Players like Zuniga, Shepherd, etc.

I could see guy's like Bryce Huff getting more playing time, he plays fast and I believe is an ascending player as an undrafted FA. 

Ashton Davis will benefit from the Selah defense because he plays fast.

I think the Jets D is vastly underrated, the line was their strong suit especially against the run, but they have added much speed to the LB/ER group.

Now if the Jets could add a quality CB that would be lights out going into the draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big T said:

Players like Zuniga, Shepherd, etc.

Shepherd I understand by why ditch a guy who was a rookie last year and injured half the year. Let’s give the guy a chance to show what he can do before making a determination on his ability. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

Shepherd I understand by why ditch a guy who was a rookie last year and injured half the year. Let’s give the guy a chance to show what he can do before making a determination on his ability. 

Don't mean he will be gone before TC.   At the final roster deadline, he may or may not.

Just now, xrade said:

I'm hoping he can kill that injury bug. He was injured during his short lived college career, he was hurt the year before he was drafted, he decided to return to school to improve his draft stock. It didn't go well as he was injured again. Now in his rookie season he is injured again.

This brings us to 2021 and 3 years of injuries, I don't say the guy is not talented, but so far he hasn't brought anything to the table.

4 minutes ago, Big T said:

I'm hoping he can kill that injury bug. He was injured during his short lived college career, he was hurt the year before he was drafted, he decided to return to school to improve his draft stock. It didn't go well as he was injured again. Now in his rookie season he is injured again.

This brings us to 2021 and 3 years of injuries, I don't say the guy is not talented, but so far he hasn't brought anything to the table.

I don’t disagree. I just don’t want to give up on a player making minimal $ before his career even gets started. Unless he is a locker room cancer or has bad practice habits, let’s see what he can do.  There was a reason JD drafted him. 

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

I don’t disagree. I just don’t want to give up on a player making minimal $ before his career even gets started. Unless he is a locker room cancer or has bad practice habits, let’s see what he can do.  There was a reason JD drafted him. 

I agree with you, my hope is he becomes what J.D. drafted him for and has a breakout season. He is not a cancer, and lets hope he stays injury free. Football for all we love is a business, and liabilities are expendable.

Football players are employees, and if the job cannot be done for whatever reason, the company has to replace the employee. 

Running Backs are an expendable commodity (fair or unfair) and the productive lifespan is usually the first 3-4 years.

For this reason many are drafted in the latter rounds, the exceptions are the elite ones, but even they as history has shown us, don't live up to the excessive contracts they receive.

Bell, Elliot from Dallas, the Giants Barkley, to be fair Barkley has been okay, but a 1st rounder?

My point being, you build for the future no doubt, but as a business model, if your employee is not producing you have to replace them.

3 minutes ago, Big T said:

Football for all we love is a business, and liabilities are expendable.

Agreed. I just don’t think Zuniga is a liability, yet. You made some good points in your post. But let’s not forget that some players take a little longer to develop and oft times the right situation. In fact, you can probably apply that to day three draft picks who did not have to college production but come to the pros and flourish after a couple of years. The league is filled with them. 

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

Agreed. I just don’t think Zuniga is a liability, yet. You made some good points in your post. But let’s not forget that some players take a little longer to develop and oft times the right situation. In fact, you can probably apply that to day three draft picks who did not have to college production but come to the pros and flourish after a couple of years. The league is filled with them. 

Agreed, likewise later draft choices and unrestricted FA who were not drafted went on to pro bowls, and had HOF careers.