Chiefs sign G Joe Thuney

14 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Thuney at LG, Allegretti at C, any mix of LDT, Durant and potentially Wylie at RG? Could be an option.

Did Wylie ever get tendered? He's gotta be long gone now, right?

I'm seeing Oklahoma State left tackle Tevon Jenkins mocked several places to the Chiefs at #31. They had a virtual meeting with him as well. Now that would re-tool the O-line and Give Patrick much more time to throw as well as opening up holes for our run game. 

8 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Did Wylie ever get tendered? He's gotta be long gone now, right?

No word about any tender from Arrowhead Drive - other than rumors that Yelder won't be tendered.

Edited by KC_Guy

Have seen Jalen Mayfield mocked to us as well. This is what one analyst said about him:

You have to imagine OL is a priority for Kansas City after the team cut ties with Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz. Jalen Mayfield is an athletic offensive tackle who moves well in space and would seem to fit an offense that features a mobile quarterback.

I like getting a younger group together to gel and keep Mahomes protected and the run game fluid. I trust the Chiefs evaluators to get a left tackle that fits our scheme.

Edited by KCsb

New England selected our $80 million man Joe Thuney in the 3rd round of the 2016 draft (#78). I've written about our lack of Rounds 1-3 Offensive linemen picks before. Fisher was the  #1 pick in the 2013 draft and we kept him until this year when he was cut.  Rodney Hudson was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2011 draft, but we deemed him too expensive after his rookie deal and we let him go. Mitch Morse was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2015 draft, but again when it came time to retain with a longer term contract we let him walk.  Jeff Allen was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2012 draft.  He was decent, but was also allowed to leave.

The point is the Chiefs typically don't draft offensive linemen in the early rounds and certainly don't tend to retain them when their rookie deals are up.  It's been a revolving door, and injuries finally caught up with them and exposed a major weakness in the Super Bowl.  Nice to see Mr. Consistency Thuney join the Chiefs, but we still need to draft a tackle this year.  I'm glad it is a deep class, and we can hopefully solidify this line for many years to come.

Yes! Thuney is a machine and finally gives us a rock at LG we haven’t had in a long time.

one step closer to protecting the main man and this offense operating better