Rams re-sign Leonard Floyd - 4 Y, 64M

RamRod

54 minutes ago, btfd16 said:

Yeah I need to see the details otherwise on the surface this looks like a massive overpay. Okwara and Yannick got 13per and Barrett got 17... I find Floyd to be more like the formers.

Yeah Id rather have Floyd. If Yannick was really all that good how come the Jags traded him to the Vikings then the Vikings traded him to the Ravens and the Ravens let him walk? Thats red flags right there. As I stated before, I like some continuity rather than every year replacing on pass rusher for another one. Floyd had a great season for the Rams so he shouldve gotten rewarded. He is young, he plays the run well, and he can get after the QB. Donald deserves to have the dynamic duo he is familiar with consistently for years. Its like we saw with Quinn and Long back in St. Louis or with the Colts we saw with Freeney and Mathis. It can totally backfire if every year we bring in someone different to pair with Donald. Plus if the Rams want to keep the same defensive scheme that Staley left behind what better player to bring back than Floyd who knows it better than anyone on the defense from his time in Chicago. As for the deal, its called free agency but players arent cheap. If Yannick was so legit trust me he wouldve gotten paid like Barrett. Teams know there has to be a reason this is his 4th team in what three seasons now. 

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Yeah Id rather have Floyd. If Yannick was really all that good how come the Jags traded him to the Vikings then the Vikings traded him to the Ravens and the Ravens let him walk? Thats red flags right there. As I stated before, I like some continuity rather than every year replacing on pass rusher for another one. Floyd had a great season for the Rams so he shouldve gotten rewarded. He is young, he plays the run well, and he can get after the QB. Donald deserves to have the dynamic duo he is familiar with consistently for years. Its like we saw with Quinn and Long back in St. Louis or with the Colts we saw with Freeney and Mathis. It can totally backfire if every year we bring in someone different to pair with Donald. Plus if the Rams want to keep the same defensive scheme that Staley left behind what better player to bring back than Floyd who knows it better than anyone on the defense from his time in Chicago. As for the deal, its called free agency but players arent cheap. If Yannick was so legit trust me he wouldve gotten paid like Barrett. Teams know there has to be a reason this is his 4th team in what three seasons now. 

If Floyd was really all that good how come the Bears let him go? You'd think somebody worth paying top 10-12 Edge money would be great opposite Mack! Don't act like Snead is beyond mistakes he's absolutely earned them so has McVay. We got the same production from Fowler he went elsewhere and was terrible. AD is getting these guys paid no matter how you want to try to spin it. On that logic we didn't need a top end Edge behind AD we could keep getting 10 sacks from many edge rushers. 

At face value this is a lot of money much more than just about everybody thinks. The details will decide it for a lot of us but don't act like Snead is beyond question. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Until they stop overpaying players with huge contracts only to get rid of them a year or two later.

They have earned the skepticism. Even if you are fine with the signing, you have to agree with that. 

One has nothing to do with the other. Are they signing bad players? Nope. Cooks wasnt bad he just kept getting hurt. His performance when he was on the field was great. He had a great season with the Texans when he was on the field. Gurley was in the MVP discussion when he was healthy. The injuries caught up to him as well and he wasnt the same. Goff wasnt hurt but McVay didnt think Goff was the guy moving forward to can eventually get the Rams back to the Superbowl. I can live with that because it had that Patriots feel of getting rid of a players years early and not years later. Goff I truly believed can battle through it but Im not going to question Snead and McVay decision in the same way nobody questioned why Belichick got rid of guys like Richard Seymour and Chandler Jones back in the day when they were clearly at the top of their game. Jones is still at the top of his game when he is out there. Belichick just replaces them with other guys and the defense is still really good if not elite. Stafford is not a downgrade in my opinion. So again getting rid of players a year or two later is another topic but signing players is another thing because the Rams arent getting bad players when they give them these contracts. Its not like when the Saints overpaid guys like Jairus Byrd and Colby Fleener only for those guys to bust immediately. Thats just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

If Floyd was really all that good how come the Bears let him go? You'd think somebody worth paying top 10-12 Edge money would be great opposite Mack! Don't act like Snead is beyond mistakes he's absolutely earned them so has McVay. We got the same production from Fowler he went elsewhere and was terrible. AD is getting these guys paid no matter how you want to try to spin it. On that logic we didn't need a top end Edge behind AD we could keep getting 10 sacks from many edge rushers. 

At face value this is a lot of money much more than just about everybody thinks. The details will decide it for a lot of us but don't act like Snead is beyond question. 

In the same way the Bills let Woods walk when he played opposite of what was a top 5 pick in Watkins. Thats different when one team let you walk. It just didnt work. Davis of the Saints wasnt great with the Giants but he got to the Saints and now he is a Pro Bowler. I can get behind a player if he just didnt work out for one team and goes to another team and work out. When a player like Yannick goes from the Jags to the Vikings to the Ravens and now to the Raiders there are questions especially since the Vikings have a defensive minded coach in Zimmer and the Ravens are a well ran organization who rarely miss on players especially on defense. He couldnt work out with either team. If I remember correctly didnt the Rams want to bring Fowler back that offseason? But anyways I think Floyd was a great get for many many reasons. Run defense was vastly improved with him, he understands the system the Rams are trying to keep which was Staley system, the fact that he is now getting to the QB more often is a plus. Like I dont need a dominating sack line from him. Pressure the QB, get to them here and there but most importantly help stop the run because that helps everyone rush the passer well. We wasnt getting that with Fowler in terms of stopping the run. Then of course continuity. Its like when will the Rams commit to a pass rusher to line up year in and year out with Donald? 

All Im saying is yall can question Snead but Im not. Is he perfect? Nope. Bringing back a guy who had a great season is the least of my worries. Besides Im not getting worked up because as I always say people concern themselves too much of the cap when if a team wants to sign someone they really can. Talk to me when it gets to the point where the Rams are screwed because they signed one player and no matter what they cant sign another player that they actually want to sign. Of course I know you cant keep everyone but bringing back Floyd is the least of my worries. Unless he takes a nose dive and completely sucks these next few seasons Im not concerned. All the Rams did was bring back a critical piece back to there defense to help make it the best defense in the league. Thats never a bad thing. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

In the same way the Bills let Woods walk when he played opposite of what was a top 5 pick in Watkins. Thats different when one team let you walk. It just didnt work. Davis of the Saints wasnt great with the Giants but he got to the Saints and now he is a Pro Bowler. I can get behind a player if he just didnt work out for one team and goes to another team and work out. When a player like Yannick goes from the Jags to the Vikings to the Ravens and now to the Raiders there are questions especially since the Vikings have a defensive minded coach in Zimmer and the Ravens are a well ran organization who rarely miss on players especially on defense. He couldnt work out with either team. If I remember correctly didnt the Rams want to bring Fowler back that offseason? But anyways I think Floyd was a great get for many many reasons. Run defense was vastly improved with him, he understands the system the Rams are trying to keep which was Staley system, the fact that he is now getting to the QB more often is a plus. Like I dont need a dominating sack line from him. Pressure the QB, get to them here and there but most importantly help stop the run because that helps everyone rush the passer well. We wasnt getting that with Fowler in terms of stopping the run. Then of course continuity. Its like when will the Rams commit to a pass rusher to line up year in and year out with Donald? 

All Im saying is yall can question Snead but Im not. Is he perfect? Nope. Bringing back a guy who had a great season is the least of my worries. Besides Im not getting worked up because as I always say people concern themselves too much of the cap when if a team wants to sign someone they really can. Talk to me when it gets to the point where the Rams are screwed because they signed one player and no matter what they cant sign another player that they actually want to sign. Of course I know you cant keep everyone but bringing back Floyd is the least of my worries. Unless he takes a nose dive and completely sucks these next few seasons Im not concerned. All the Rams did was bring back a critical piece back to there defense to help make it the best defense in the league. Thats never a bad thing. 

You honestly just described a guy who should make about half what we gave Floyd proving all of our points that it's an overpay. Again we need to wait for the details but yes bring back players could be a bad thing when it's an overpay that prevents you from filling the team out. Our top 10 guys right now cost $150+ million add to that the dead money from a few players and we're over the cap with just 10 players on the books. Yes we can rearrange that but being that top heavy is dangerous and pushing money down the road isn't the best answer either. The Rams are all in which is obvious to anybody so unless some of those years are voidable or easy to get out of this deal makes even less sense. 

• Like 1

I'm not sold on Floyd for 16/year, but, I assume its backloaded and voidable.  He did not look like a pro bowler last year, but got the contract of one.  I'd rather have thrown out 10-12 to Clowney for a one year reclamation then 16/year on Floyd.  Here's really hoping they structured this contract majorly in the teams favor.  Let's throw in that it cost us a 3rd round comp pick also, had he signed elsewhere, which is not insignificant. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Over Bud Dupree?? The only reason it’s even debatable is due to the injury. 

No disrespect to Dupree because I do think he’s good.. but he does worry me. And to be honest, the ACL doesn’t worry me today as much as it used to. Players come back quicker and stronger more often than not. I think when it comes to Dupree I almost feel like he should have been more productive with the guys he had around him. I could 100% be wrong about this though, it’s just something I’ve observed. I should probably watch a little more film before I say I’d take Floyd without a doubt but I at least know what we are getting in Floyd who’s been in the system and seems to have had the AD work ethic rub off on him. I also saw on PFF that 60% of Duprees pressures were unblocked or clean up tackles/sacks and that he had a 14% pass rush win percent. That’s all PFF though so I know sometimes their stats can be very misleading and make no sense lol

I love this move. We know exactly what we are getting from Floyd. I get wanting to keep abusing the AD effect but this year is different. Why trust our pass rush to another random signing when we know what we have lead to one of the best defenses in the league? You really want to sign Clowney and pray he doesnt get injured when we are making a run?

• Like 1

I like bringing Floyd back. It means more continuity on defense. I know it’s a lot of money. But if he can keep pace at what he did last year, or better yet build upon it, then he’s absolutely worth that money per year. I understand that’s a big “if”. I understand last year was the first year he really broke out. But I just get the sense that everything finally just clicked with him. I think he was a really great fit on this defense. A lot of people will throw out the Fowler comparisons—and for good reason. But I think the coaching staff had a higher opinion of Floyd than Fowler and I trust that opinion. I expect big things from Floyd over the next few years and I’m excited to see this defense continue to grow. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

Dupree honestly is a lot like Floyd. A guy who was just average until he was in a front 7 with a DPoY caliber guy. Dupree was a 4 sack guy until TJ Watt came along. IMO those aren't the guys you give $16 million a year to. 

it’s a bit naive to say Watt helped Dupree but it’s somehow not a symbolic relationship. Not to mention Heyward and Tuitt among others infront of them

15 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

it’s a bit naive to say Watt helped Dupree but it’s somehow not a symbolic relationship. Not to mention Heyward and Tuitt among others infront of them

Yes Watt wasn't the only guy for sure but Dupree was a 4 or 5 sack guy before Watt showed up. Dispute that all you want just like Floyd before he joined AD.