Rams re-sign Leonard Floyd - 4 Y, 64M

Saw this last night when I was out to dinner and wondered how the board was going to react. Glad to see people are waiting on the final numbers to pass judgement. I'd assume the 2021 cap hit is relatively small and the other years balloon. It also could be incentive based similar to Jarrad Davis. He was reported at 1year $7Mil and then it came out it was $5.5M with $1.5M in incentives.

Truth is, EDGE is a viewed as an extremely valuable position to this FO and they don't want to trust a rookie in that spot at the #1 OLB. Floyd did ALOT of great things last year outside of just sack numbers, shocked to see no one mention his run support and ability to cover TE's. Once we get the details we can understand it better and after seeing what Dupree got I feel good about it. Glad we didn't let him walk.

Let's look at some other signings from yesterday to understand the market vs. what we think is an overpay.

• Floyd 4yr 64Mil (16M per)
  • Trey Hendrickson 4yr 60Mil (15Mil per)
  • Bud Dupree 5yr 82.5Mil (16.5M per)
  • Matt Judon 4yr 56Mil (14Mil per)
  • Carl Lawson 3yr 45Mil (15Mil per)

Seems that this is the market now 🤷‍♂️

*When Brockers gets cut, don't link his release solely to this signing, it was going to happen anyway. Now when we trade Woods....you can pair the two lol

Edited by BStanRamFan
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

comparing floyd to guys like clowney or yannick is like comparing kupp with gollady and fuller.
nonsense.
floyd is a perfect scheme fit. the edge class is garbage and we need two.

I disagree with the first part. Even bias aside, I’d take Floyd over Clowney and it’d be a toss up between him and Yannick—there’s a lot to be said about being on your fourth team in two years. 

I saw Cameron DeSilva tweet something literally right after I was thinking it to myself... Yes, Floyd had the advantage of playing with AD this year but the two years prior he was playing opposite of Mack. It really leads me to believe he’s taken that next step and things have just clicked for him. I think he’s a great fit in this defense and as @BStanRamFan pointed out, he brings more to the table than just pass rushing, as he’s a complete OLB. 

1 minute ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

I saw Cameron DeSilva tweet something literally right after I was thinking it to myself... Yes, Floyd had the advantage of playing with AD this year but the two years prior he was playing opposite of Mack. It really leads me to believe he’s taken that next step and things have just clicked for him. I think he’s a great fit in this defense and as @BStanRamFan pointed out, he brings more to the table than just pass rushing, as he’s a complete OLB. 

I got Jourdan Rodrique to respond to me in regards to what this staff values in OLB and she specifically mentioned "longer pass rushers and adding depth". Floyd measures at 6'6 244lbs.  (Terrell Lewis is 6'5 262lbs).

He fits what they want, he proved he can be successful in this scheme, he's 28, he hasn't missed a game in the past 3 seasons...this is what those guys cost. I'm glad our OLB position is no longer a turnstyle of one-year players and we have continuity going into next season on defense. 

Once that WR domino falls in FA, I think we see the Rams get alot of interest in Woods and we start to see some real shaping of the offseason. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I got Jourdan Rodrique to respond to me in regards to what this staff values in OLB and she specifically mentioned "longer pass rushers and adding depth". Floyd measures at 6'6 244lbs.  (Terrell Lewis is 6'5 262lbs).

He fits what they want, he proved he can be successful in this scheme, he's 28, he hasn't missed a game in the past 3 seasons...this is what those guys cost. I'm glad our OLB position is no longer a turnstyle of one-year players and we have continuity going into next season on defense. 

Once that WR domino falls in FA, I think we see the Rams get alot of interest in Woods and we start to see some real shaping of the offseason. 

Totally agree. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to even expect a BETTER season for him next year with a year in the system under his belt. Everyone loves to say the Fowler had 11.5 sacks in 2019, but he WAS with the team in 2018 as well. Even if it wasn’t a full year, there was undoubtedly improvement from year one to year two. 
Floyd was also a leader seemingly from day one with the team and the coaching staff recognized that. With JJ gone and Brockers likely on his way out, I would not be surprised to see Floyd be named a team captain this year. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Or, he balled out in a contract year, and we may never see him that good again. could very easily be the reality just as much as he is going to take off as some super star. Is he worth it? I dont know yet, especially depending how much of the money is guaranteed in years 3/4

Im lso not sure how everyone keeps falling back on him being a "perfect scheme fit" when we dont know what the scheme will actually be anymore. Morris is not Staley, and Im not just going to assume that all the pieces will work the same.

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Or, he balled out in a contract year, and we may never see him that good again. could very easily be the reality just as much as he is going to take off as some super star. Is he worth it? I dont know yet, especially depending how much of the money is guaranteed in years 3/4

Im lso not sure how everyone keeps falling back on him being a "perfect scheme fit" when we dont know what the scheme will actually be anymore. Morris is not Staley, and Im not just going to assume that all the pieces will work the same.

Also possible. It’s a guessing game obviously since no one knows for sure. But I’m optimistic on this one. Only time will tell. 

Wonder if we'll still look to acquire some EDGE players in the draft.

Right now we have Floyd, Obo, Hollins, Terrell Lewis.

Lewis could be potentially unreliable due to injuries, Obo will be free agent next offseason. Feel like we're not done here.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, RamRod said:

Wonder if we'll still look to acquire some EDGE players in the draft.

Right now we have Floyd, Obo, Hollins, Terrell Lewis.

Lewis could be potentially unreliable due to injuries, Obo will be free agent next offseason. Feel like we're not done here.

Oh def not. Hamilcar Reshad and Jonathan Cooper are two guys I'd like to see us draft from the 4th round and beyond.

36 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/26/rams-raheem-morris-defense-systemt-staley/

"Rams plan to keep Staley's scheme under Morris with a few wrinkles"

Edited by BStanRamFan
1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Oh def not. Hamilcar Reshad and Jonathan Cooper are two guys I'd like to see us draft from the 4th round and beyond.

Ill never understand what you see in him. He just tries to be fast and hes only above average at that trait

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/26/rams-raheem-morris-defense-systemt-staley/

"Rams plan to keep Staley's scheme under Morris with a few wrinkles"

Yea, you can say that all you want, its going to be Morris' Defense. For a few reasons, but the main ones are A) its human nature, you arent going to do things you arent used to, you will always fall ack into your own tendencies. And more importantly B) Morris is looking to be a HC again, and him just being a Butler to stand in place for someone else's work isnt going to get him that. He will want to show that he is still capable of doing it on his own.

Im not saying its going to be some radical change, but it will change, and to pretend it wont is being naïve

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ill never understand what you see in him. He just tries to be fast and hes only above average at that trait

Love the speed and the athleticism/flexibility. Would of been a first rounder if he came out last year and has room to add more weight. Played uninspired last season, but I feel like with COVID it was weird for a lot of guys not knowing what a combine, bowl season, senior bowl would look like. 

He actually had great Senior Bowl practice tape and all scouting reports really emphasize his length which we now know is desired by Morris and this staff. Seems like the perfect fit in the 4th.

“Rashed also has good length at 6-foot-4, 245. This length allows him to get his hands on linemen early, and while he’s still very much a work in progress with his hands, he’s flashed the ability to use quick, powerful swipes to open up lanes for himself. Additionally, he uses this length to disrupt the passing lane when in position, as evidenced by his six career pass deflections.”