Rams re-sign Leonard Floyd - 4 Y, 64M

RamRod

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

Yea, you can say that all you want, its going to be Morris' Defense. For a few reasons, but the main ones are A) its human nature, you arent going to do things you arent used to, you will always fall ack into your own tendencies. And more importantly B) Morris is looking to be a HC again, and him just being a Butler to stand in place for someone else's work isnt going to get him that. He will want to show that he is still capable of doing it on his own.

Im not saying its going to be some radical change, but it will change, and to pretend it wont is being naïve

I'm going to believe what is being reported by our GM and honestly, why would we bring in a DC who's philosophy differs from the one that lead us to have the best defense in the league? Doesn't make sense.

Morris wants to be a HC again and that's precisely why he came here. If the Rams remain a top 5 defense, he gets another HC gig. If he comes in and changes what lead us to be successful and got Staley a HC job after 1 year, he's not going to get one. It's pretty straight forward in that regard. 

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Love the speed and the athleticism/flexibility. Would of been a first rounder if he came out last year and has room to add more weight. Played uninspired last season, but I feel like with COVID it was weird for a lot of guys not knowing what a combine, bowl season, senior bowl would look like. 

He actually had great Senior Bowl practice tape and all scouting reports really emphasize his length which we now know is desired by Morris and this staff. Seems like the perfect fit in the 4th.

I would dispute many of these here, yes he is an athlete, but when it comes to actually rushing the passer, he is quite stiff, has a lack of bend to get around the corner and just tries to outrun every OT, who are already just pushing him out of plays. His "pursuit" pluses are a result of that, and slow developing plays on the college level that just wont be there at the NFL level.

He was never close to being a 1st rounder, and that just feels like an excuse for a bad year. And your Sr Bowl assessment seems far too glowing. It was mixed at best from all the outlets that were there (pretty obvious which one you trust) because plenty of them also said he disappeared for days at a time at practice, and got swallowed up or his speed was completely neutralized by the step up in competition

He looks just like the endless line of long fast guys who arent instinctual rusher that wash out before they ever get to their 2nd contract

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I'm going to believe what is being reported by our GM and honestly, why would we bring in a DC who's philosophy differs from the one that lead us to have the best defense in the league? Doesn't make sense.

Because Staley might be a breed all his own. Morris has never shown to be on that level (most DCs havent) so to think its all just going to keep going they way we had it all last year doesnt seem likely. 

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Morris wants to be a HC again and that's precisely why he came here. If the Rams remain a top 5 defense, he gets another HC gig. If he comes in and changes what lead us to be successful and got Staley a HC job after 1 year, he's not going to get one. It's pretty straight forward in that regard. 

Or if he tries to keep doing the things that he isnt good at, and the defense completely falls apart (because he is also losing the leader in the field as well) then he looks worse off, and everyone thinks he isnt good enough anymore. Because nothing about Morris' defense in the past say he is anything like Staley. We see it all the time, a guy comes in saying that he could keep it going, but by mid season, things arent the same. 

15 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I would dispute many of these here, yes he is an athlete, but when it comes to actually rushing the passer, he is quite stiff, has a lack of bend to get around the corner and just tries to outrun every OT, who are already just pushing him out of plays. His "pursuit" pluses are a result of that, and slow developing plays on the college level that just wont be there at the NFL level.

He was never close to being a 1st rounder, and that just feels like an excuse for a bad year. And your Sr Bowl assessment seems far too glowing. It was mixed at best from all the outlets that were there (pretty obvious which one you trust) because plenty of them also said he disappeared for days at a time at practice, and got swallowed up or his speed was completely neutralized by the step up in competition

He looks just like the endless line of long fast guys who arent instinctual rusher that wash out before they ever get to their 2nd contract

Guess we just see him differently. As a Day 3 guy to come in and compete with Obo for that 3rd/4th edge spot I think he presents great value. Guy had 14 sacks in 2019, made a name for himself in the Pac 12 and the following year was game planned against and he fell off. He should of come out after 2019.

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Or if he tries to keep doing the things that he isnt good at, and the defense completely falls apart (because he is also losing the leader in the field as well) then he looks worse off, and everyone thinks he isnt good enough anymore. Because nothing about Morris' defense in the past say he is anything like Staley. We see it all the time, a guy comes in saying that he could keep it going, but by mid season, things arent the same. 

I'm expecting a slight drop from top 3 to top 10, but fall apart? Not likely. I guess I'm just more optimistic on Morris and Floyd returning should reinforce that. 

Donald/Ramsey/Floyd/D-Will/Fuller/ SJD. We can fill in pieces around those guys and remain a top 10 defense even if Morris isn't Brandon Staley. With Stafford at QB we should see a jump in the offense to top 10 again. Alot of reason for optimism with what is in place; just need to get lucky on the injury front, but that's everyone. 

2 hours ago, RamRod said:

Wonder if we'll still look to acquire some EDGE players in the draft.

Right now we have Floyd, Obo, Hollins, Terrell Lewis.

Lewis could be potentially unreliable due to injuries, Obo will be free agent next offseason. Feel like we're not done here.

I do think they’ll still take a stab at one in the draft if a guy they like is there at the right value. With us retaining Floyd, though, I do think it puts less emphasis on us NEEDING to draft one. Prior to him resigning, I figured Edge would be a position we go after in rounds 2 or 3 (maybe even double dip in the first four rounds). But now I think we can stress going after an OL we really like or a talented ILB. 

41 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

That’s a big IF, my friend 

Yeah I was as optimistic as anyone about Lewis coming into this past season. But between his injury plagued rookie year and his injury history from college, he certainly doesn’t look as if he can stay healthy. Only one year into his career—I get it, but it doesn’t look great so far. Shame because the talent level is evident. 

• Like 1

Given the other FA Day 1 contracts given out to edge players, I'm not going to quibble over $1-1.5M AAV if it means maintaining favorable situations in:

1. Continuity
  2. Re-signing your own FA's doesn't mess with the comp pick formula (no 1st next year, we're still going to need the comp formula to provide us with picks)
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Don’t know how anyone can be upset at that. If he doesn’t perform up to standards, we have an out after two years. I like it even more now. 

So if I understand the cap correctly, his Base is $2Mil and his $14Mil signing bonus is prorated over the 4 years = $3.5M per year against the cap.

So in 2021 alone, Floyd will cost us $5.5M against the cap. Can someone confirm this is the correct understanding of the situation?

Edited by BStanRamFan

32 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

So if I understand the cap correctly, his Base is $2Mil and his $14Mil signing bonus is prorated over the 4 years = $3.5M per year against the cap.

So in 2021 alone, Floyd will cost us $5.5M against the cap. Can someone confirm this is the correct understanding of the situation?

Yes, thats correct. 

And he would cost $7m against the cap to cut him in 2023

If thats all this is, then good. But alot of these first reported breakdowns dont call out the roster bonuses that Snead has used alot recently. Which is what locks us in for the later years

• Like 1