Patriots sign WR Nelson Agholor

RaidersAreOne

Another guy in that 26/27 year old range which is nice. 

He's been up and down throughout his career, many thought that he did really well last season because of Ruggs speed on the other side. Wonder how well he will do here given that the receiving corp still lacks top end speed. 

Just now, DoleINGout said:

Ugh. Another overpay.

Not sure we can tell if any of these contracts are value / overpays at this point. 

Not enough info has been revealed yet regarding how much is based off incentives, guarantees, etc. 

Just look at last season when Miami signed Van Noy, that "guaranteed" money didn't truly end up being guaranteed because they were able to cut him before the league year began to not pay it. Most of these are deals for a couple years so I am ok with spending a couple million more when necessary to have the flexibility sooner to get out of the deal. 

I'm not the biggest fan of him as a WR but i'm happy with a 2 yr deal, especially if they draft a guy in the 2nd round. 

3 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Not sure we can tell if any of these contracts are value / overpays at this point. 

I am comparing it to the players left on the market that they could've spent some of this money on. I like the Judon and Smith contracts. Great value for level of play. The Jalen Mills deal is solid. Bourne is a good value too. Anderson is okay.

Agholor? The DL guy from the Dolphins? Deatrich Wise back? I mean, that money could be allocated in a number of different ways on better, more reliable players. Instead of those three guys they could have gotten more from like a total of four or five other free agents. OR, the argument against Agholor is you spend that money in pursuit of another top free agent regardless of position. Trey Hendrickson, Ndamukong Suh, Morgan Fox, Desmond King, Denico Autry, Kevin Pierre-Louis, Kerry Hyder, Keelan Cole, Kyler Fackrell, Romeo Okwara, Anthony Walker Jr., Tyus Bowser. Then go after some other quality filler players like DeSean Jackson, Ted Karras, Benson Mayowa, Jacoby Brissett, Austin Johnson, Geno Atkins, Jurrell Casey, DaQuon Jones, Rakeem Nunez-Roches, John Ross, Isaiah McKenzie, Tyrod Taylor. OR, just re-sign a guy who gave you everything in Joe Thuney.

• Like 1

I liked Agholor with the Raiders and can only hope it is a sign of things to come. I hope he is a late bloomer and worth this contract. I see the reason for the excitement @m haynes has. I like the character and perseverance of Agholor, as well as the speed and acrobatic ability in the air. I just want the consistency to be there both years. Please.

Same for Davon Godchaux. Stay on the field and stay consistent. Anderson, Mills, Wise. Just be healthy and at least starter average and it is going to be worth the money essentially. Just safer bets out there when you see the Texans get a linebacker in Kevin Pierre-Louis for $4 million APY.

• Like 1

So how many of last years WRs survive the cull? Meyers and Byrd seem the only locks. Agholor, Bourne, Meyers, Byrd is a decent group without a standout, but a major upgrade over the last 2 seasons. With Edelman coming off an injury, turning 35 and with a 6mil cap hit, you have to think he's done in NE.

Add in Jonnu, and you have decently retooled group of pass-catchers. Some slightly overpays, but they have the space and may as well use it while so many other teams are strapped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

So how many of last years WRs survive the cull? Meyers and Byrd seem the only locks. Agholor, Bourne, Meyers, Byrd is a decent group without a standout, but a major upgrade over the last 2 seasons. With Edelman coming off an injury, turning 35 and with a 6mil cap hit, you have to think he's done in NE.

Add in Jonnu, and you have decently retooled group of pass-catchers. Some slightly overpays, but they have the space and may as well use it while so many other teams are strapped.

Byrd is a free agent, I would imagine he is gone

Agholor / Bourne / Meyers are locks at the moment imo. News on Bourne is all over the place.. some people say he is the same player as Meyers, others say he is about to break out,etc. 

I think Harry gets traded during the draft and Gunnar gets beat out by a mid to high rookie pick who can perform special teams duties. Edelman depends entirely on if he is healthy. Someone like Waddle would be perfect to pair with these receivers, pure speed and special teams value, I obviously don't expect them to pick him but a value Waddle in the 2nd-3rd rounds would be a nice compliment.